Electromatics

G5622T 3 pickups controls

Hello newbee here just got a G5622t with three pickups I have been researching and even contacted Fender who now handles customer service for Gretsch they sent me a diagram of the working of the control knobs that makes perfect sense but not the way mine works . Does not look to have been modded and cannot make any sense of how they work with vol and tone. Three way and middle pickup selector seems to work like it should and so does the master vol. but the other four don't make any sense and nowhere near what Gretsch diagram shows. Just wondering if anyone else has run into this

This is what Fender sent me but nothing like mine this makes sense

This the wiring Fender sent me I have not looked into mine yet

Yep, three individual volumes, a master volume and a master tone. The three- way switch treats the bridge and neck pickups like on a conventional two pickup guitar, the other switch activates just the middle pickup -- simple and rather effective really.

Looks like it either has to go to the shop or I will pull the electronics and see if they match the schematic I am pretty good at trouble shooting and soldering

It's a miserable guitar to pull the electronics out of.

You haven't explained what the controls seem to do on your guitar. Ought to be easy enough to figure out: play the guitar, at first one pickup at a time, and turn each knob. Then pickups in various combinations. Document the results.

On the bench, there's always tapping polepieces with a screwdriver while turning knobs.

I will be giving the guitar a bench test and documenting the results but looks like I am going in

I would also be interested in hearing your test results. I have the same model and everything seems to be operating as expected.
My real concern is that this unique switching scheme makes all of my Strats feel obsolete.

PlayerOne: Back in the day when Strats had just a three-way switch, a simple rewiring mod was to use the switch to select only the neck and bridge pickups -- one or the other or both together like a conventional two pickup guitar The first control knob was for these two pickups, the middle knob dialed in the middle pickup and the bottom knob was a master tone.

The current Epiphone Riviera P93 has this control system for its three P90 pickups.

My oldest Strat is a 57, and the 3 position switch selects any of the three pickups separately, no combinations. So your description must reflect earleir models, and is a combination that I've yet to encounter. You learn something every day. But, your switching scheme does describe the first 3 pickup Les Paul configuration.

My oldest Strat is a 57, and the 3 position switch selects any of the three pickups separately, no combinations. So your description must reflect earleir models, and is a combination that I've yet to encounter. You learn something every day. But, your switching scheme does describe the first 3 pickup Les Paul configuration. Although how the tone and volume controls work, I'm not sure.

I've never played a three-pickup Les Paul but my understanding is that its stock switching position didn't give quite as many variables as it might. Others here can no doubt enlighten.

I think the Strat wiring mod was much loved by some studio players -- known as 'Memphis wiring'?

Over here in the early 60s, the only kids I knew who were lucky enough to get their hands on a Strat would just try to balance the switch (or use a matchstick to jam it) to get positions 2 and 4. Sometimes it worked --- for a while!

How did this turn into a Strat topic really would like to know if anyone ever ran into this problem before with there Grestch. Looks like I am going in to compare my wiring to what Fender sent me for the factory Gretsch three pickup. Thanks anyway for the Strat info as I have one of those to

Johnnybegood, I'm sorry to have hijacked your thread. That was never my intention. Bkut I do hope you are able to work out your problem.

Not a problem at all that info may be helpful to me or someone else later I also have a Strat did not mean to sound upset

Register Sign in to join the conversation