Electromatics

G5129 with DeArmond 2000’s?

Hello,

I've been intent on buying a 5420, primarily for the nice thick body, no centerblock, Bigsby, killer orange colour, and the black filtertrons especially. I want a Gretsch that sounds like a Gretsch. I haven't had much luck finding what I want used. I have found a 5129 well used for a great price and it says it has DeArmond 2000 pickups. This is intriguing and from what I can glean, these are good pickups, comparable to the reverse engineered black filtertrons in the new 5420's? Does the 5129 have similar build quality, classic noncenterblocked hollow chamber, similar thickness (heck I would love a 3 inch thick Gretsch. The bigger the chamber the better! It's red not orange but I can't get everything. Asking $560 w/ shipping and includes a soft case. Thanks

Serial # is KP04091870 if that helps year determination etc.

stick to the 5420 quest..the 5129 uses dearmond 2000 (dynasonic style) pickups which are pre filtertron sound..completely different!!...if you want the classic flitertron sound you'd be better off with the 5420..though those pups arent exactly vintage filtertrons either!!!

5129 can be a great guitar but theres more to it…scan the recent thread abt here

http://gretschpages.com/for...

cheers

Thanks. I read the article. Enlightening

Guy named Buddy Holgi has some nice demos. On YouTube with both his 5129 with 2000's and his 5420 with Blacktop Filtertrons. He prefers the 5129

Man I'm tying myself in knots

Eventually I want both AND a white Falcon and a 1959 like Townsend had

BABY STEPS !!!! :)

Without seeing a picture of the 5129, it's worth pointing out that there's a big difference between the early and later models, namely the fixed bridge and tension bar Bigsby. Subtle differences such as the body depth, neck angle and huge f holes make the early versions less desirable.

Hello,

I've been intent on buying a 5420, primarily for the nice thick body, no centerblock, Bigsby, killer orange colour, and the black filtertrons especially. I want a Gretsch that sounds like a Gretsch. I haven't had much luck finding what I want used. I have found a 5129 well used for a great price and it says it has DeArmond 2000 pickups. This is intriguing and from what I can glean, these are good pickups, comparable to the reverse engineered black filtertrons in the new 5420's? Does the 5129 have similar build quality, classic noncenterblocked hollow chamber, similar thickness (heck I would love a 3 inch thick Gretsch. The bigger the chamber the better! It's red not orange but I can't get everything. Asking $560 w/ shipping and includes a soft case. Thanks

– WhittleZ

i've buy a 5420. It's a nice guitar if you like the sound of the black Filtertron. Personnaly i was disapointed with the sound and i've sold the guitar. I prefer my G3140 with the DeArmond 2000. Play the guitar in a shop before buying.

I didn't play the 5126(different color but same guitar) before I bought it from a member here but I love the guitar. I do get a vast array of tones out of the 5126 and the build is pure quality and the tone from the DeArmond 2000s.

I love Buddy Holgi's playing and have to say that he is a brilliant finger-picking guitarist and I'm purely a lead soloist in blues or blues-based material. When I'm playing styles like T-Bone Walker or much of the jump-boogie material, the guitar has a great "woody" sound. I love playing it at higher volumes though too.....This Stevie Ray Vaughan' "In The Beginning" album and it pulls off those tones very well. With the right amp you can get into some P90-type territory or "Gibson-esque" mini-humbuckers like you'd in their Firebird models. Simply put, I love my 5126.

I do like what I consider the "smoothness" of the blacktop filtertrons so I certainly like those guitars also.

Like my 5125 a lot. The 5124-29 are a great series.

DA2000's in my 3140 and 3110 are good for me. Prefer them over the Dynasonics in my former 6129.

You have made two very good choices. I really dig the sound of the Blacktop filtertrons and you can't go wrong with the 2000's either. It just depends which way you think you would be happier. If you can get yourself to a music store with guitars with both options, go give them a try. You'll get mixed reviews here because both are very popular options and both have their individual fans, around here. Buddy Holgi is one of our members and a very talented player.

Love my 5129. The sides are made of skinny wood, not sure if it's thinner than a proline but it got bust around the input jack when I wanged it when a straight jack plug lead was in use. Always use an angled jack hey? When I repaired it, the wood was as thin as a matchbox.

I loved the DeArmond pups but Tavo had just fixed me up with the TV Jones version so I couldn't resist putting them in. Either works well, the TV's are maybe a bit fuller and sweeter...more easy on the ear with some overdrive.

Other custom parts were decals and scratch plate by Paul Setzer, plus i drilled out the Bigsby fitting to install the granny knitting needle arm. And added a compton bridge. Just need to get that fretboard nice and dark instead of the mid tone wood..it seems t look odd to me. Many hours of black finger tips on the horizon hey?

That is so fantastic. I love to see a guitar slinger proudly wielding an Electromatic!

Yeah, I covered the Electromatic logo on the headstock but then thought...it's an Electromatic and I'm proud of that so I made sure the name was included on the scratchplate! Glad you liked it Bob, I do have a few fancy pant guitars but this one is my 'go to' these days and plays really nice.

I like your attitude about Electromatics. I love 'em. If you wait and watch, then pounce, you can get the for cheep. I've spend between $150 and $300 on each one and then a bit more to mod.

Great to see those Bob. What are the white pickups in the black jet? That's a cool look. These guitars are fantastic for tinkering and customising

Those white ones are DeArmond 2k, rather than the DeArmond 2000s like in the 51xx series. They are like a poor man's P90. I like the look but I just got a pair of 2000s from a GDP member here and I'm changing them out. I always wanted to hear what the 2000s sound like in a solid(ish) body. It'll be like an Electromatic Duo Jet.

Those white ones are DeArmond 2k, rather than the DeArmond 2000s like in the 51xx series. They are like a poor man's P90. I like the look but I just got a pair of 2000s from a GDP member here and I'm changing them out. I always wanted to hear what the 2000s sound like in a solid(ish) body. It'll be like an Electromatic Duo Jet.

– Bob Howard

I've got them in a 2nd gen Double Jet and they sound especially sweet in the middle position. I think you'll be happy.

I'm a big fan of the Electro/Synchros as well. Wear it proud.

i think to label the dearmond 2k as a poor mans p-90 is a disservice to the pup and the genius who designed it..the late great bill turner..turner and his brother founded EMG pickups in the 70's and bill became head of r&d of fender in the 90's/2000's…he knew his stuff inside out….he was specifically told what to do for the dearmond line and came up with the 2k…which is really a smart and ingenious design…basically a dynasonic sized pup (with the polepiece heightening screws in tact) with p90 characteristics…(not to be confused with any current mia pup of this sort with fake adjustment screws etc)

i cant imagine a better hybrid p-90/dyna..and it was made in the USA

it aint a dyna and it aint a p-90..but its a darned good hybrid!!!..

be like calling a gibson staple pup a poor mans dyna!!!

cheers

I like the DeArmond 2000s in my G3140 as well. They match up well with My VOX AC 15 or DeLuxe Reverb. I like them better than the mini hums in my Pro Jet. The Electromatic and Synchromatic names have a long history and both have many fans. Enjoy!

Sorry, Mr. tone. I didn't mean to offend anyone. I like the 2ks more than I thought I would and intend to put them in an appropriate guitar someday soon. I just want to try the 2000s in the Pro Jet.

no, no offense taken like that..just wanted to make sure everyone was aware of the thinking and genius-bill turner- behind those pups.. dearmond 2k's and dearmond 2000's...fender usa!..not just a haphazard knock-off made in some new asian factory (not that there's anything wrong with it! )

cheers

I did end up buying the 5129. I made an offer for a lower price and the seller accepted.

I'm loving my 5420 and I'm sure I will feel similarly about the 5129.

Thanks for some really interesting comments!

Congrats, WhittleZ. I'm sure you'll love both guitars.

Register Sign in to join the conversation