Electromatics

FS on Reverb: White Electromatic

I'm trying to suss out which model this is.

It seems similar to the g5129t, which had DeArmond Dynasonic type pickups, but those typically came with a Firebird Red or Jet Black finish.

Link

White = g5124

black 5125

silver sparkle 5126

blue 5227

gold sparkle 5128

red 5129

Thanks for clarifying, gents. I've only ever seen the 5129t selling on Reverb.

They're fine guitars, though not as deluxed up as current Electros.

If you're shopping, bear in mind that the earliest version has the fixed-stud AdjustaMatic, and a later revision has an import Bigsby Compensated on floating base (as it came from the factory).

Also, it's fair to call the pickups "DeArmond type" - but they're "2K"s (IIRC), NOT DynaSonics. They're fine pickups - with their own textured and articulate voice - but not as fat, punchy, and rich as Dynas. Kinda midway between a HiLoTron and a Dyna.

If you're shopping, bear in mind that the earliest version has the fixed-stud AdjustaMatic, and a later revision has an import Bigsby Compensated on floating base (as it came from the factory).

Also, it's fair to call the pickups "DeArmond type" - but they're "2K"s (IIRC), NOT DynaSonics. They're fine pickups - with their own textured and articulate voice - but not as fat, punchy, and rich as Dynas. Kinda midway between a HiLoTron and a Dyna.

– Proteus

I think the DeArmond 2000 (not 2K) pickup guitars are the real sleepers in the Gretsch line. I'd take them over the current Electromatics any day.

Tim is right... the very first version with the tension bar Bigsby and fixed bridge is kinda odd. Still, some people - especially non-purists - seem to have no problems with these.

The licensed Bigsby versions though were and are factory standard until this day on all Electromatics AFAIK.

I had the sparkle and it was such a horrible instrument but beautiful to look out.

– Proteus

Tim, the 512X Electros have the ones that Fender dubbed the 2000s. The DeArmond guitars used the 2Ks (the P90ish ones).

Thanks, Don.

Still, incoherent numbering scheme aside, the "2000"s in the 512x series are not the same pickup as EITHER the 2K or the Dynasonic (which, as introduced by DeArmond, was a 2000).

This nomenclatural miasma wouldn't matter if the pickups were all similar enough not to matter. But they aren't, so it does.

Unless you've heard the 512x 2000s next to Dynasonics, you can't know if they're the droids you're looking for or not.

But they weren't for me. The 512x 2000s gave me enough of a Gretsch buzz to get me hooked - but as soon as I heard the difference, I went with the Dyna hard stuff.

Being relatively new to the brand, it's an ongoing education for me, discovering all the variants and discontinued models produced by Gretsch. And there's such a long and rich history. I'm grateful for this forum, it's been indispensable. I appreciate everyone's patience and experienced insight.

FWIW, I've got a 5129t and really like the sound of the stock pickups on it. Not having compared them to genuine Dynasonics (yet). The chime is brilliant, and with a little gain acquire a great bark. I like them enough to be keeping an eye out for a nice thinline from their (also discontinued) Historic Series.

The 2k's used in the DeArmond guitars were basically P-90's in a DeArmond case. I had a DeArmond Starfire Special with 2K's and actually thought they were great sounding pu's but much more P-90 sounding.

The White 5124 guitar was not normally available in the US. Some refurbished models made it but most were sold in Europe and I saw one in a Store in Sydney, Australia.

Don is correct. They weren't offered in white in the USA for some time. I wanted one for quite some time but ended up getting my Falcon and lost interest.

I think the DeArmond 2000 (not 2K) pickup guitars are the real sleepers in the Gretsch line. I'd take them over the current Electromatics any day.

Agreed - if you put proper DeArmonds on those, they're as close to a classic 50's Gretsch as you can get on a budget.

Register Sign in to join the conversation