Gretsch Garage Sale

Vintage Electro Harmonix pedals, Bruno Wau, Schober Reverbatape FS …

5120Pim wrote:

Oh by the way, I like the rockabilly sounds very much, but also would like to rock hard on this baby. Like Triggerfinger does, a great band from Belgium. Anyone know them?

Hey, I missed this. Yep, Ruben has been one of my best friends for years, great band!

Get in touch with Steffsen.be for your TV Jones needs, he's a dealer. He's in Hoogstraten, Belgium. (within spitting distance of the Dutch border)

My G5122, I put Sperzel locking tuners and a Tru-Arc AL-120 on for function and dress up parts from Greasy Groove on for looks. I'm using Thonmastik JS111 flat-wound strings. Thanks to the tips found here, I know enough to keep the nut lubed with graphite and the bridge base has been rosined. I hear people have trouble with these, but, unless the humidity changes drastically, I find the guitar stays in tune for days.

I do hope all these electromatics are in the database.

Yes Baxter, I even updated it when I put the Tru-Arc on it.

So Walter, what's the deal with the Seatsniffer Special pickups, do tell!

Ah, so you looked at that link Nick? haha! I like them a lot - they're wound with a slightly larger gauge than standard, and that makes for a pickup that's a little louder than typical vintage spec, without all that typical "overwound pickup" midrange ugliness. And nothing extreme either, not crazy loud, just a little bit ballsier. They're very twangy, but there's no icepick, a little smoother and fatter maybe, but still "very telecaster".

And the lead pickup has a raised D-pole, but not the raised G-pole of a typical staggered magnet tele pickup, so you the G-string is actually balanced and doesn't cut your head off. (assuming you use a plain G-string. Neck pickup, when adjusted right, is about as loud as the lead pickup, which is nice, and not typical of vintage spec teles either.

Stunning guitar xavier! What did you mod though?

It even looks like the foam is still under the bridge base. Take that out, it's going to sound better without that foam.:)

Mine's in the studio and I'm at home so the best I can offer up right now is a crummy phone photo of my entire rig.

Its a 5120 and after not being happy with the fine scratches from steel wool, I had her shot with a thin coat of dead clear. She's got TV Filters, Classic for neck and Classic Plus for bridge. TV's harness, switch and harness. Bridge is pinned ebony with a S/S Compton. Tuner are locking Sperzels, Knurled knobs were switched out for strap locks. Nut is custom bone. Licensed was switched out for a B3. The pickguard was done for me by Setzer with our band name on sign post. I'm debating doing something with the truss rod cover. I did the rough set-up myself but had my friends at C.B. Perkins do it professionally to make her sing like butter.

BTW, my rig is a TSL 100 and a TTE. Nothing else with exception to a stomp tuner.

And here is my baby. Sorry for the crappy pic.

This was my first Gretsch, the instrument that started the Gretschitis. Have a couple more now (prolines). But I rediscovered this one recently when I tried it through the SF Bandmaster Reverb. Awesome tone! Love it.:)

Mods... well not many. Replaced the pickguard with a silver one from a 5120 (cut to fit the 2000s). And replaced the compensated bigsby bridge with an alu Compton.

Shirt curtesy of Ric12string! :D

thanks michiel I n nothing have change on the 5128 and I removed the foam today I have a G 5238t and I changed the humbuckers gretsch by the filtertron artec pickups

Iceman0124 wrote:

Long gone G5120

who made/sells the bigsby bridge compensated for unwound G??

-- Johnny_Atomic

In another forum I frequent a memebr just posted getting a 5129 and is talking about getting a roller bridge, if your interested I could see if he's willing to sell and what he wants for it...just let me know.

The one in the pic is from my 5129 I put a rocking bar on, passed the bridge down and sold the guitar as shown.

I swapped the humbuckers in my 5122 for chrome HS Filtertrons I purchased from Black Rider...

www.myspace.com/ampreacher

-- larspluto

I alwsys kinda liked but never wanted a TA electro...I want yours8-)Only visialy change I might make would be gretsch style plastic rings.

I don't think I've ever posted this here:

Gretsch 5120 custom

Gretsch 5120 custom

Swapped out the G-Bucks for Gold HS Filters with silver surrounds, added a rocking bar bridge, and replaced the B60 with the Cadillac tailpiece

I generally prefer a Bigsby, but have to admit this looks great. 8-)

HOW DID U DO THE F HOLE BINDINGS JUST WHITE PAINT ?

HOW DID U DO THE F HOLE BINDINGS JUST WHITE PAINT ?

-- SCHECKYB

I have a friend who is a professional pinstriper paint the F-hole and headstock faux binding. He matched the color of the body binding to add realism. I am very pleased how it turned out. It was all done freehand in less than 30 minutes.

I don't think I've ever posted this here:

Gretsch 5120 custom

Gretsch 5120 custom

Swapped out the G-Bucks for Gold HS Filters with silver surrounds, added a rocking bar bridge, and replaced the B60 with the Cadillac tailpiece

-- bombcityrocker

Nice. I'd add gold knobs and (and maybe bezels) to tie it all in. Don't those tailpieces go for like $400 alone?

Register Sign in to join the conversation