Electromatics

Don’t let this happen to you

So, not quite a year ago l bought an unplayed orange 5120. I had some money that week, so l up graded beyond belief. TV Jones classics, TV Jones harness, Grover locking tuners, Compton ss bridge, Riley ebony bridge base, football Jack plate, As luck would have it, the following week l get a fantastic deal on another unplayed Gretsch. This time it's a 6120tm. The feel, sound, and beauty of this guitar is off the charts. So now the 5120 is still unplayed, with a ton of money poured into it. I basically turned a six hundred dollar guitar into a twelve hundred dollar guitar. Don't get me wrong, it sounds and feels great, but not pro line great. I'm just venting, a little pissed off at myself. That is all folks. Don't do what l did, get the pro line before you spend so much that you almost could have.

People modify Electromatics all the time and enjoy them. Duotrons are going into my 5122 now. But, yes, you generally do it for yourself and not for resale.

Maybe look at it as you have a good sounding guitar to take places where you don't want to take the 6120.

Aren't most of the upgrades you carried out reversible, assuming you kept all the original parts?

It's happened to me five times and I ended up with five very nice guitars. Sold some to very satisfied players and the others are used regularly along with my pro line models and a vintage or two.

People modify Electromatics all the time and enjoy them. Duotrons are going into my 5122 now. But, yes, you generally do it for yourself and not for resale.

Maybe look at it as you have a good sounding guitar to take places where you don't want to take the 6120.

– Baba Joe

I didn't do it to sell. That only happened after l got the 6120. I guess I'll have to look at it that way though.

Aren't most of the upgrades you carried out reversible, assuming you kept all the original parts?

– Dave_K

Yes they are, but l really don't want to go through that if l don't have to. More money to my tech also.

It's happened to me five times and I ended up with five very nice guitars. Sold some to very satisfied players and the others are used regularly along with my pro line models and a vintage or two.

– Bob Howard

Finding a satisfied player would be ideal. I'll just have to see what happens.

You should take the football plate and put it on the 6120 if it needs it. Otherwise you could keep it as a backup or sell it to someone who would really appreciate the mods. 5120s have a different neck profile than the new 5420s so there should be a buyer for one like yours.

I would love to see pictures of both guitars.

You should take the football plate and put it on the 6120 if it needs it. Otherwise you could keep it as a backup or sell it to someone who would really appreciate the mods. 5120s have a different neck profile than the new 5420s so there should be a buyer for one like yours.

I would love to see pictures of both guitars.

– BuddyHollywood

Here they are. Yes, the neck is very nice on the 5120... Having trouble posting photo. I'll try again.

Here are pictures of the two guitars. You can really see the differences in the builds with these pictures. It's all in the details.

Thanks for sending them to me Lou.

Here are pictures of the two guitars. You can really see the differences in the builds with these pictures. It's all in the details.

Thanks for sending them to me Lou.

– BuddyHollywood

You are welcome sir...

Yes they are, but l really don't want to go through that if l don't have to. More money to my tech also.

– Lou574

Can you do the reversal yourself? Cut out the tech...

Can you do the reversal yourself? Cut out the tech...

– Adsy81

Maybe everything except the harness...

Register Sign in to join the conversation