Electromatics

Does the Electromatic line need a 17” big block?

Perhaps the “Pro- line” needs to keep something sacred?
Cadillac never released a full size “econo” version.

Well, the subject of the thread was whether or not the Electromatics need a 17" body in the line up.

I really don't know if they do or not, but my prejudiced thought was if they do, go with the Electrotone bodied 17".

Being an older country gent myself, I have to say that I already have my Country Gent, so putting away any extra SS pennies for an Electromatic version just wouldn't happen, at least for me.

Besides, I just sent TV all my extra SS pennies for the finishing touch on my -58.

Fun topic to discuss though, and if I were a young pup right now, I would be wanting to own a big 17" "Electrotonematic Gretsch!"

Country Club, Synchro Club, Poker Club... I suppose that in this era of "Me Too", an Alfalfa Switzer / Spanky McFarland "He-Man Woman Hater's Club" (model G6194-HMWHC) wouldn't market very well-- even in the Electromatic division...

But hey, It's equipped with Dynasonics!

Interesting subject.

Personally, I'd go with a thinner body, so it's easier to jump about with on stage (we're pitching this at the young'uns, right?), so maybe 2 1/2" deep. This would also be a better idea if you're only using parallel bracing with a tone bar as the current Electros do. Remember also that this guitar would be to give people a leg-up into the world of 17" bodies, so you want it to be functional and comfortable for first timers.

Soundholes: how about cats eyes for something different? They're currently a neglected part of the Gretsch palette, and are quite attractive if they're of similar shape, and in a similar position on the body as the early Synchros and the 1960's 6117 specials. There are already enough f-hole or faux f-hole guitars in the Gretsch catalog.

For colour, the old Setzer Hotrod metallic colours would be worth considering. Keep the existing headstock as per the current 54XX series, but maybe colour match the faceplate for something different. Also add dark charcoal metallic, mercury grey metallic and pearl white metallic for those who don't want anything too garish.

Have the option of both Black Tops or Dyna 2K's so everyone is covered sonically. Personally, I'm not a fan of Dynas and wouldn't give the guitar a second glance if it had them. There are those who prefer Dynas to Filters though, and are opposite to me. A bit of choice wouldn't go astray.

I think everyone agrees on the hardware (Bigsby etc.), so thats a no-brainer. I'd want a B6 Bigsby though, not one of those horrid B7 things with the tension bar. A pinned bridge as per most hollowbody Gretsches these days would be the go. Maybe split humpblocks down the fingerboard too.

Thats it for my ideas.

i would be quite interested in a 17" Electromatic, but cats-eye soundholes are a absolute deal-killer. i'd also want a less Setzer-centric set of color/finish options. i really liked the first-wave Electros in baby blue and silver sparkle, and IMO any metallic finish on an archtop is "garish."

Now we just have to get some people younger than 50 to sign this petition...

– Proteus

While I'm MUCH closer to 60 than 50, I'd love to have an 17" Electro.

Interesting subject.

Personally, I'd go with a thinner body, so it's easier to jump about with on stage (we're pitching this at the young'uns, right?), so maybe 2 1/2" deep. This would also be a better idea if you're only using parallel bracing with a tone bar as the current Electros do. Remember also that this guitar would be to give people a leg-up into the world of 17" bodies, so you want it to be functional and comfortable for first timers.

Soundholes: how about cats eyes for something different? They're currently a neglected part of the Gretsch palette, and are quite attractive if they're of similar shape, and in a similar position on the body as the early Synchros and the 1960's 6117 specials. There are already enough f-hole or faux f-hole guitars in the Gretsch catalog.

For colour, the old Setzer Hotrod metallic colours would be worth considering. Keep the existing headstock as per the current 54XX series, but maybe colour match the faceplate for something different. Also add dark charcoal metallic, mercury grey metallic and pearl white metallic for those who don't want anything too garish.

Have the option of both Black Tops or Dyna 2K's so everyone is covered sonically. Personally, I'm not a fan of Dynas and wouldn't give the guitar a second glance if it had them. There are those who prefer Dynas to Filters though, and are opposite to me. A bit of choice wouldn't go astray.

I think everyone agrees on the hardware (Bigsby etc.), so thats a no-brainer. I'd want a B6 Bigsby though, not one of those horrid B7 things with the tension bar. A pinned bridge as per most hollowbody Gretsches these days would be the go. Maybe split humpblocks down the fingerboard too.

Thats it for my ideas.

– Echo-Orbit

I like cats eyes, but I don't LOVE 'em. Maybe as an option...

i would be quite interested in a 17" Electromatic, but cats-eye soundholes are a absolute deal-killer. i'd also want a less Setzer-centric set of color/finish options. i really liked the first-wave Electros in baby blue and silver sparkle, and IMO any metallic finish on an archtop is "garish."

– macphisto

It'd be nice to see something different for a change. There are already enough Gretsches with the traditional format of f-holes (big or small), or faux f-holes. Cats eyes look great if they're done right. I wasn't terribly fond of the position of the cats eyes used on the first incarnation of centreblock Electros, as it looked odd. If they're where they're supposed to be on the body, it makes for a rather sexy looking axe. I quite like the old 6117 Cats Eyes produced in the 1960's. It's a shame Gretsch haven't reproduced it properly yet. The only change I'd make is changing the control positions; pickups etc. It's a bit of a 'lost' model.

Not sticking exactly to the traditional Gretsch format is why I suggested the metallic colour finishes. Perhaps 'understated' would be a better word than 'garish' in regards to using metallic shades as well as suggested colours? I dunno. In my opinion sunburst is dead-set boring (so is natural if the wood isn't figured...Walnut? Bleh.), and there are already too many 6120 orange guitars in the catalogue. I wasn't terribly fond of the original Electro finishes either, now I think of it. I had a 5129, and didn't take to the finish on it. The silver one was ok, but it didn't look quite right either.

I'd be so down with this.and I agree It should stay big...17 by 2.75. Having once owned two Country Clubs., nothing sounds quite like those dimensions acoustically, its a magic size. Dynas, f hole, B6, the 512x finishes. Basically bringing back the 512x series in a robust heftier form.

I would be on board with that too! One issue that's not often touched upon is larger stature individuals. While being 6'- 2" is not an imposing height, many of us taller types feel we dwarf some of the traditional rock style guitars. For that reason I feel we gravitate to the Gretsch hollow body line. An affordable 17 in.with the Gretsch brand would be icing on the cake.

Register Sign in to join the conversation