Electromatics

Cliff Gallup-ing a G5230T

Hi Gretsch pagers,

New member, here. I'm curious to learn if it would be possible to mod a G5230T Electromatic to Cliff Gallup specs - specifically the pickups.

I can't afford a Cliff Gallup model, nor a pro series, so I'm thinking it would be fun to make a project out of upgrading the G5230T. Any insight would be muchly appreciated!

I've been eyeing the TV Jones pickups - I gather there are 3 T-Armond options (No ears, English mount and Dearmond mount). Which one of these could be installed with the least amount of routing, fidgeting?

I would imagine that I'd want to swap out the bridge and possibly the Bigsby.

Englishmount. Make sure you get the adapters for the dual bass side height adjustment screws.

If you talk with the folks at TVJones, they will be able to tell which version you'll need to swap out your blacktop filters. I'd do the pickups first then the rest as both pickups will let you channel your inner Cliff. Good luck.

Welcome to the GDP! Post some gitpics when you're done.

I'll be interested to hear what you think of the difference. Personally, I'm enjoying the tonal versatility of the stock FolterTrons over the TV copies. But I may be looking for sounds that you are not.

My T-Armonds sound great but I don't know if they sound like the originals. On his website, TV Jones says he wanted to take out the ice-pickiness, I thought from the bridge pu but the website says the same about the neck. I remember him also saying he wanted to take the boominess out of the neck pu. Anyway, my T-Armond bridge isn't very bright (there's definitely no ice pick), but it's very authoritative and sometimes I turn down the bass, which is odd for a bridge pu. Meanwhile, the neck has no bass. This is on a Pro Jet, so no hollowbody boominess. Both pickups sound great. I keep the treble at 7-8.5 and the bass at 5 or lower. And of the few electrics I've owned I've never used just one pickup so much. They sound great together but they offer a lot on their own. The lack of brightness makes me wonder if he took out too much ice pick, though a Pro Jet with T-Armonds can do anything.

My T-Armonds sound great but I don't know if they sound like the originals. On his website, TV Jones says he wanted to take out the ice-pickiness, I thought from the bridge pu but the website says the same about the neck. I remember him also saying he wanted to take the boominess out of the neck pu. Anyway, my T-Armond bridge isn't very bright (there's definitely no ice pick), but it's very authoritative and sometimes I turn down the bass, which is odd for a bridge pu. Meanwhile, the neck has no bass. This is on a Pro Jet, so no hollowbody boominess. Both pickups sound great. I keep the treble at 7-8.5 and the bass at 5 or lower. And of the few electrics I've owned I've never used just one pickup so much. They sound great together but they offer a lot on their own. The lack of brightness makes me wonder if he took out too much ice pick, though a Pro Jet with T-Armonds can do anything.

– Fredo

Yeah it's confusing since TV Jones says he has made his T-Armonds less icepicky and Seymour Duncan talks about adding in a little extra sparkle to his Dynasonics !

The T-Armond is a great pickup but I recently swapped one out for an old 50's Dyna and the old one is quite a bit brighter I must say.

You can put DynaSonics on it, and it will sound a lot better, but it still won't be hollow. You should take the roller off the Bigsby too if you want to sound like Cliff.

Hey Billy - big fan of your guitar playing!

Yes, I am really unhappy with the rattling bridge that comes stock on the 5230.

I jumped the gun and ordered a Bigsby aluminum bridge (#GB-0527-001).

Link

I'm hoping it works - not sure how a bridge with a 15" radius is going to match up with a 12" radius neck.

I read somewhere that someone successfully fitted a bridge of this type on a 5230.

Hey Billy - big fan of your guitar playing!

Yes, I am really unhappy with the rattling bridge that comes stock on the 5230.

I jumped the gun and ordered a Bigsby aluminum bridge (#GB-0527-001).

Link

I'm hoping it works - not sure how a bridge with a 15" radius is going to match up with a 12" radius neck.

I read somewhere that someone successfully fitted a bridge of this type on a 5230.

– somethinelse

Just file the top of the bridge to match the finger board radius or send back the Bigsby bridge and order a Serpentune Tru Arc in 12" radius (make sure you get the "Low Rider" variant for direct to body mount non-floating bridges).

Register Sign in to join the conversation