Electromatics

best way to cover or remove Electromatic logo

Buy an Ibanez. Covering the headstock is just poor. Seriously, whats so f.....g bad about that electromatic logo (which is older than the horseshoe)? That guitar is from 1957. The electromatic-logo is a part of the Gretsch history.

Buy an Ibanez. Covering the headstock is just poor. Seriously, whats so f.....g bad about that electromatic logo (which is older than the horseshoe)? That guitar is from 1957. The electromatic-logo is a part of the Gretsch history.

– Stefan

I have a '16 model and the red/brown block lettering looks god awful. It could say anything and I'd hate it. Electrical tape looks better. At least they could have used white.

I have a new 5445t and I agree. The Electromatic is horrible! The doo doo brown colored block lettering doesn't belong on a Black guitar with chrome hardware. I had a Truss Rid cover made with 'Twin Jet' engraved into it. I've put an MXR micro amp in it and upgraded the tuners and the upgraded Bigsby I took from an older jet I got from a yard sell for $30. That's all that was on the jet. Ha. Someone took out the electronics and the headstock is cracked. Pretty worthless unless you were me and wanted to mod a jet. I also have a TV Jones classic for neck and classic plus for bridge. But the Blacktop's sound decent after fiddling with string distance and poles during set up. First things last! I need that film to cover up that god awful logo! I hate the Gretsch logo too. Why that color? Pearloid or even white would be 1000% better looking. So Paul, how much, and where do I send it? Don't have a pearloid headstock overlay hanging around, do you? Ha. But I seriously want the cover.

– MonoEmono

Wow. Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.

No one should ever be ashamed to be playing a Gretsch- ANY Gretsch. My mistake (more than two decades ago) was to scrape off the Chet signature from the back of my 6122's pickguard... I thought it wasn't "rock and roll" enough.

It took about two weeks before someone with more functioning brain cells told me I should never have "defaced" the originality of the guitar...

That blemish has long since been rectified, but the point was made.... be proud of it.

No one should ever be ashamed to be playing a Gretsch- ANY Gretsch. My mistake (more than two decades ago) was to scrape off the Chet signature from the back of my 6122's pickguard... I thought it wasn't "rock and roll" enough.

It took about two weeks before someone with more functioning brain cells told me I should never have "defaced" the originality of the guitar...

That blemish has long since been rectified, but the point was made.... be proud of it.

– Kevin Frye

There's a big difference between a signature of the world's greatest guitarist and a vertical block letter name. Reading something laid out vertically is a just a PITA. History is the guitar, not this silly name.

Most easy solution to this topic: Buy a new Electromatic with the re done headstock

Glad they listen to us!

Glad they listen to us!

– Setzer

Great minds apparently think alike!

I wonder how they feel about the pointy Peavey logo?

I liked the old peavey logo.

The new "GreTscH Electromatic" guard logo looks cool too!

Design errors like these are unforgivable. The designer should have shown the drawings to his wife and not the empty suits that sit around the big oval table.

His wife would have said......don't wear black slacks and brown shows (Duo Jets).....don't mix gold and silver (several Gretsch models do this).....blue guitars are great if you're nine years old.....and fluffy grey flannel suits are a bit 80's (the new Fender Bluesbreaker range) Those amps are for creepy uncles. I can smell the cabbagey pants from just looking at them.

– Stefan

This guitar looks great. I believe electromatic is engraved in this headstock? It looks better than the silkscreened modern variant.

I just stopped by, a year later, to see if (after 2 pages of comments) anybody answered this guy's question. I see that the answer is no. I'll come by in another year and see if that changes.

I just stopped by, a year later, to see if (after 2 pages of comments) anybody answered this guy's question. I see that the answer is no. I'll come by in another year and see if that changes.

– stratman

What the heck are you talking about? It was answered on the first page. Setzer makes a vinyl decal to apply to the headstock to cover it. Or you can paint it.

Strange that the perceived lack of answers concerns you a year later. Almost like you had an agenda in resurrecting a zombie thread...

– stratman

Electromatics are plastic feeling to me. I had a chance to buy one of those Bono Red versions, with case, for $389, new. I decided to pass because the pickups sounded anemic and whatever they coated the guitar with felt like plastic. ------ But to the first question asked about removing or covering the logo: Use black sharpie.

Register Sign in to join the conversation