Electromatics

best way to cover or remove Electromatic logo

When I redo my '56 Streamliner one of these will go on it. Or a 6120 Shoe version if I make it a conversion.

photo Headstock1.jpg

photo GretschNOSheadstockoverlay.jpg

All you that would cover the vertical Electromatic logo, would you cover it up with this one?

– Don Birchett

I'd certainly be much less inclined to cover it up. While I still don't like the name itself, presented this way, in script, it has a classy look to it that the block letter vertical version lacks completely. I would like it centered though

It's all subjective and by preference, as we are all learning from this thread. The Electro name doesn't bother me one bit. I say fly that freak flag BABY!

I think its a great idea to black out the squier ..errr ...eesh epiphone ...doh, I mean electromatic logo:)

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™ (actually loves hippies)

Have you tried this?

Is it noticeable, compared to the other black material?

I have a project that needs some attention up there...ya think?

Yes, this was a bedazzled headstock.

No, it was not pretty.

Crow, that's a tough one being that it's thin plastic.

Might have to start over. Or screw a big chrome name plate over it. Maybe Curt's got some ideas about filling it in with something? Oversized truss rod cover? I'm grasping at straws...

The Electrotone was merely a body style, not a model or line of guitars.

The vertical winged logo of the Falcon is generally thought to be more desirable than the horizontal Falcon logo. But, I agree that the Electromatic logo, coupled with the horizontal Gretsch logo, is a little busy.

– Ric12string

Thanks for the clarification I realize the glitzy vertical Falcon logo is more popular, but it isn't my cup of tea. I find most Falcons a tad over the top for my liking. I don't mind the sparkle binding - prefer a multi-black and white - but not the 'hey look at me' look of the VL headstock. I'd also get a plain black truss rod cover if I end up with one....just more garishness I can live without.

The thought never has occured to me to cover up the logo. It is what it is, and I like it as is.

Well said Parralax! Totally agree!

Hard to believe a discussion on the ugliness of simple sans serif block type when we're talking about guitars often adorned with cactus logos, faux f holes and sparkly drum plastic covering! I would think that Electromatic lettering is the least thing distracting from the talent of the player. Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion and it is entirely subjective, blah blah blah. That is the great legacy of the Internet; triviality dressed up. Lol.

If you really don't like the Electromatic logo, just buy a Proline. Easy.

If you really don't like the Electromatic logo, just buy a Proline. Easy.

– wabash slim

3 of my 5 Gretsches, the electrics, are Pro-lines.....although that moniker wasn't around when any of them were made. '98 6120 Blue Burst, '76 Super Axe and '72 Super Chet. Acoustics are '41 Synchro and [being restored] 55 Fleetwood archtop, both well above the Electromatic level of models. My Gretsch 'dance card' is full.....unless I win a lottery!

Whats so bad about the electromatic logo? It first appeared in the mid 1950s, what a waste of time thinking how to cover it. Still a Gretsch, play it proud.

Don'T really care about the vertical lettering. BUT its plain unfair that the cheaper streamliner models come with headstock binding!!!

No issues with the Electromatic logo. I love them as is.

Whats so bad about the electromatic logo? It first appeared in the mid 1950s, what a waste of time thinking how to cover it. Still a Gretsch, play it proud.

– Stefan

It's a personal thing. As I've always said in discussions about what factors affect your buying one model or brand over another, the physical looks are important to me. I have 10 guitars and they're all on display as I love their looks. When I compare a headstock with Electromatic slapped on it to the vintage style script logo and even the plain, but having some character, T-roof logo there's no comparison for me....the vertical block letter inlay is just butt ugly. And just because it's a 'vintage' feature doesn't mean that's a reason to use it again today. Time hasn't lessened the ugly factor. A nice simple design ala the horseshoe inlay would add some class today or just leave the dam headstock empty save for the Gretsch name on it.

YMMV but my 'mileage' doesn't like it and thinks it looks tacky.

– Stefan

+1

I'm still trying to work out if this is a bad joke thread - gotta be surely :)

Don't think it's a bad joke thread lol ... Some people seem to like disguising their Eletromatics as Pro lines lol

Be proud of your Electromatic! It is what it is.... A fantastic guitar .. ;)

Ala Chili Peppers

Ala Chili Peppers

– NJBob

Even that's a better look!

Don'T really care about the vertical lettering. BUT its plain unfair that the cheaper streamliner models come with headstock binding!!!

– ChimingBell

maybe but have you heard the sound of the pickups ? they are crap. I prefer my 5125 electromatic with a pair of DeArmond 2000 and no binding on it.

maybe but have you heard the sound of the pickups ? they are crap. I prefer my 5125 electromatic with a pair of DeArmond 2000 and no binding on it.

– DIDIER D

The Electromatic line IS a better guitar compared to the Streamliner series (which are pretty nice for their price tag IMO). But a guitar which is better built and more expensive should have the more "classy" look. So stock headstock binding please.

I have a new 5445t and I agree. The Electromatic is horrible! The doo doo brown colored block lettering doesn't belong on a Black guitar with chrome hardware. I had a Truss Rid cover made with 'Twin Jet' engraved into it. I've put an MXR micro amp in it and upgraded the tuners and the upgraded Bigsby I took from an older jet I got from a yard sell for $30. That's all that was on the jet. Ha. Someone took out the electronics and the headstock is cracked. Pretty worthless unless you were me and wanted to mod a jet. I also have a TV Jones classic for neck and classic plus for bridge. But the Blacktop's sound decent after fiddling with string distance and poles during set up. First things last! I need that film to cover up that god awful logo! I hate the Gretsch logo too. Why that color? Pearloid or even white would be 1000% better looking. So Paul, how much, and where do I send it? Don't have a pearloid headstock overlay hanging around, do you? Ha. But I seriously want the cover.

Register Sign in to join the conversation