Electromatics

Best strings for a G5120?

Hi..! Recently I bought a G5120 and I would like to know what would be the best strings for " Blues Rock " rhythm guitar ? Thanks for your help..!

Hi..! Recently I bought a G5120 and I would like to know what would be the best strings for " Blues Rock " rhythm guitar ? Thanks for your help..!

How deep is a hole? The strings to use are the strings you like. It's like asking, "I'm going to get icecream in a Volkswagen Jetta. What flavor should I get?"

I use D'Addario EXL/XL110's for the exact same thing.

How deep is a hole? The strings to use are the strings you like. It's like asking, "I'm going to get icecream in a Volkswagen Jetta. What flavor should I get?"

– charlie chitlins

Breyer's Mint Chocolate Chip.

You're welcome. It is a bit subjective, though. YMMV.

A lot depends on your playing style. I like .011's on my 5120, either Gretsch or D'Addario. If you bend strings a lot, you may prefer a lighter gauge; if you play more fingerstyle, you may like .012's.

Flatwound strings have a whole different sound and are stiffer to the touch than the same gauge in roundwounds, with a somewhat darker tone. Many jazz players like flatwounds.

OK...I'll bite... I've actually come to like the snap that comes from thinner strings. I discovered this during an attack of tendonitis. Fatter strings have girth, but lose a little snap and twang, IMO...like a much smaller version of switching from bridge to neck pickups. I recently switched from 11s to 12s on my slide guitar and I felt like it really lost something. I also like a heavier bottom. When the tendonitis pushed me to lighter strings, I got used to the skinny top, but I did miss the bottom. So I use a 9-46 "hybrid" set.

Register Sign in to join the conversation