Electromatics

Baritone

Well it took close to a decade, but I finally added a second Gretsch to my collection. The Electromatic Baritone.

Gretsch baritone photo 51240984-3845-49B3-95C2-7348959C4DC1.jpeg

Yessir! Baritones are great guitars. A GreTsch bariTone is even greater. All the fat twang you could imagine, and a wiggle stick besides.

Congratulations. You're a man of discriminating taste.

Well, 29.75 scale length. There are 30"-scale basses. But is there a RULE rule about baritone vs bass scale lengths?

30" for six string bass, less for baritone. You could obvs tune a 6 string bass to baritone tuning with a proper string set, but apparently its too floppy on the bari scale to detune so low. Haven't tried it on my bari, but that's the conventional wisdom.

OK, so the Gretsch comes in a quarter of an inch under bass territory! It's a bari!

Yeah my first baritone is a 27” PRS because I was worried the longer 30” scale length would be hard to play, but I really wanted a Bigsby so I jumped on this when a used one popped up on eBay. I guess the first owner returned it after a short while and they had to sell it as previously owned, but it’s pristine. It sounds really good tuned B to b. The Bigsby is really stiff, which will take getting used to.

I’ve set the bridge as low as it will go, and the action still feels a tad high. I’m going to take it in to the shop for a good initial setup.

No case, but you should imMEdiately order a Reverend soft-touch spring for the Bigsby. All stiffness go bye-bye. You be happy. 10 bucks.

My Electromatic came tuned E to E.

Why then, that's naught but a 6-string bass.

Strings sound too flappy? I had to put a heavier gauge on the Squire Bass VI.

Why then, that's naught but a 6-string bass.

Strings sound too flappy? I had to put a heavier gauge on the Squire Bass VI.

– Proteus

Yep. I did the same thing with mine.

My Electromatic came tuned E to E.

– Billy Zoom

So did mine.

Well I have been playing 12s on all my standard length guitars since I got the Tennessee Rose, and tuning down half a step. It really helps fit my low voice into the song. So the baritone is where I’ve been headed for a while. I’m playing it like a guitar.

I just dropped it off at Chicago fret works for a fret check, setup, lighter Bigsby spring.

Register Sign in to join the conversation