Electromatics

5420TG Candy Apple Red Limited edition

I’ve been test driving this 2017 limited edition 5420TG in candy apple red for the last few days. In return, I swapped my recently acquired 5622 Georgia Green. I love the CAR color and matching headstock but I’m not loving the gold hardware, but it looks pretty nice with the red. The blacktops are a bit meh compared to the High Sensitivity Filter’trons in my Tennessee Rose but nothing inspiring. If I did decide to trade for this, I would go for some HS filters or TV classics in it.

I like the gold over the red. I think it would look good with the pickguard removed.

Not a huge fan of gold plating these daze, mostly due to it's unfortunate tendency to leave prematurely, but I can't really see silver or even nickel on this one, so if 'twas mine, I'd learn to love it.

And it is a lovely, lovable guit, so no problem wi' dat!

OOO, I dig the gold on red look! I have a "Bono RED" that I swapped out the pickguard for a silver, and always contemplate going gold. I put a Bigsby and HS Filters in it too. It really did come to life with the new pickups, but I have guitars with the Blacktops that sound just as good. They sound really nice if setup right. I think that I wanted the look of the HS more than thinking it needed to sound better.

Nice. If you keep it, I suggest the TV Classics.

Don’t dump the money into it that would have got you a 6xxx series. I say that, having almost done that.

Don’t dump the money into it that would have got you a 6xxx series. I say that, having almost done that.

– NJBob

I hear ya man, but I already have a 2007 Tennessee Rose with HS Filter’Trons, 25” scale and open f holes, I just really like the CAR color which is why I’m playing around with it. I’m leaning against the trade because I really like the Super HiLoTrons in the 5622. It sure is pretty though.

I really like the looks of that guitar. If the Blacktops aren't cutting it, a set of TV Classics would be a modest investment.

I really like the looks of that guitar. If the Blacktops aren't cutting it, a set of TV Classics would be a modest investment.

– Caliban335

Absolutely! However, I’ve decided to pass on a possible trade at this time. Love that color.

I'm late in seeing this one but I love this guitar Beatlebacker. I hope you warm up to the blacktop Filtertrons as I love these pickups....extremely versatile and warm when you need them to be but still ringing with a crystal clarity.

I'm seriously thinking about swapping out the pickups in my Tokai LS-135 LP clone for some blacktops.

A tricky decision. I have a blue 5420 with Blacktops and a 5622 with three Super Hilos. The 5622 is heavy -- but I've really got to like the Hilos. Ooh but I like that red!

Register Sign in to join the conversation