Electromatics

5420T

I own a 1966 Anniversary ,2005 White Falcon and a 2017 5420T.To tell you the truth If you installed a Tru Arc bridge and a new pickup selector switch on the 5420 I would put it up against any of my guitars. When I first got the guitar the tone was kind of lackluster. Then I found out the guitar has adjustable pickups. I adjusted them and the guitar came alive. Just think a guitar 5 times cheaper than the pro models has adjustable pickups! I went to the Gretsch site, read the Electromatic manual and their is no mention of being able to adjust the whole pickup. The only adjustments they explain are the pole pieces. Anyway I would just like to say ,at that price point I think it's the best built guitar you can buy!

You are preachin' to the choir, with me. I too have a Falcon and my Karolyn has the G5420T in Fairlane blue. I'd be hard pressed to tell which feels better. IMO Gretsch blew this one out of the park!

the dreaded double post.

My 5420T is a just plain great guitar, with a distinct and unique voice among my other instruments.

eastar, can you describe the adjustments you made to the pickups, and the resulting change in tone?

Parabar: On the left side of the pickup under the low e string their are 4 screws 2 for the pickup ring and 2 for the pickup adjustment. One screw is a tilt adjustment and the other screw moves the pickup up and down. The closer the pickup gets to the strings the more dynamic the sound gets. For lack of a better way to describe the tone it sounds more like my White Falcon.

Yes, the BlackTop FilterTrons have to be up high to perform correctly. I thought they were adjusting them at the factory, recently?

What color did you get? Pic's or it didn't happen. (winky)

I like my 5420t so much I'm planning to buy another one, after I finish hot-rodding the current one. I'm not crazy about the neck but I've learned to make it work and I am warming up to the black tops (that I have adjusted in pretty much every way possible).

I have a 6119 that has Duo Trons, the TVJ wiring harness and a Tru Arc...It's awesome...yet...that 5420t is getting all the love these days at my house.

Superdave pic

I like my 5420t so much I'm planning to buy another one, after I finish hot-rodding the current one. I'm not crazy about the neck but I've learned to make it work and I am warming up to the black tops (that I have adjusted in pretty much every way possible).

I have a 6119 that has Duo Trons, the TVJ wiring harness and a Tru Arc...It's awesome...yet...that 5420t is getting all the love these days at my house.

– Mr_Christopher

I'm curious Mr Christopher, what is it about the neck you aren't crazy about......the profile, scale length, fretboard radius?

I'm curious Mr Christopher, what is it about the neck you aren't crazy about......the profile, scale length, fretboard radius?

– Windsordave

The profile. Im not a big guy and don’t have big hands and a typical Tele neck is more of my ideal width and shape.

A buddy who is much bigger than me played my 5420 last night and raved about how awesome the neck shape is, so its all relative.

That said I have learned how to adjust to the neck and while its not the ideal shape for me its become my primary guitar and I have no complaints

It's always good to have the purchase of my first Gretsch so thoroughly validated by experienced players.

Lovely, she is! Thanks for the pic.

I bought a 2017 in blue, fantastic guitar and very happy I made the purchase.i have two Prolines to compare to it.The build quality is great on the 5420 but I do have to say I recently wanted to adjust the truss Rod..it isn't great quality and you have limited adjustment..doesn't work as well as the proline ones. You need to use the Allen and the metal is soft it is very easy to strip it if not doing it correctly. But overall the blacktops are great as is the attention to detail. The electronics are very good so far but I know they are probably not the same quality as the Prolines...time will tell. The nut is a graph tech TUSQ like material way better than the Delrin junk they offered on certain Prolines. Everything else is working good...licensed Bigbsy, tuners etc...great paint and finish, great aged binding which is nicely done and im glad they went with a vintage headstock design...they hit a home run on these...

Parabar: On the left side of the pickup under the low e string their are 4 screws 2 for the pickup ring and 2 for the pickup adjustment. One screw is a tilt adjustment and the other screw moves the pickup up and down. The closer the pickup gets to the strings the more dynamic the sound gets. For lack of a better way to describe the tone it sounds more like my White Falcon.

– catar

Hello catar, I have a 5422 with Blacktops. I see the 2 small screws, but they are on both sides of the pickups. I'll try to make some adjustments, just how close to the strings should the pickups be?

Mines a real winner too, this is a great guitar!

No complaints about my 5420. Great guitar.

Some have one screw per side and some have two.

Register Sign in to join the conversation