5120 With Flatwound Strings?

I've previously posted about my 2008 5120 with the "Gretschbucker" pickups. Well, although a lot of people like to change out the pickups, the more I play it, the more I'm convinced that these pickups have a really nice tone for playing jazz, so I think I'm going to leave them in. Also, since she seems to be moving me in a jazzy direction, along with sticking with the "Gretschbucker" pickups, I'm thinking of changing my round wound strings to flat wound strings. Not the most earthshaking question, I know, but I'm curious to hear if any of you have tried that and if you liked what you heard. Any thoughts?

Plenty of flat stringers around here. Lots of Thomastik fans, if you have the budget for them.

I tried it on mine, and it works great if you're after that warm mellow jazz tone. The Gretschbuckers are still brighter and crisper than typical Gibson/Epiphone humbuckers. I already have that tone covered with other guitars, so I went back to roundwounds on the 5120, along with a Tru-Arc Aluminum bridge, which combined give the 5120 a more distinctive voice which can cover a whole spectrum from jazz to funk to reggae and beyond.

Like Parabar said, the G'buckers are bright pickups, which I liked as I'm primarily a single coil kind of guy. I had them on a Synchro jet, and flats worked nicely. Nice looking guitar, BTW.

I used to put flat wounds on every few years and would love them, for about a week. Then, off they'd come and a set of round wound Daddario's would go on. However, lately, at the suggestion of Billy Zoom and some others, I tried pure nickel wound strings; Burnished Nickel Rockers (semi flat) by GHS. I like them a lot and they seem to last for a very long time before intonation problems start.

A few of my students at York U. bought 5120s and I encouraged them to leave the Gretschbuckers on. You're right; they make bery nice jazz boxes. What would improve your guitar, if your are using it for only jazz, is a good custom fitted ebony or Brazilian rosewood bridge. I just finished my first Macassar ebony one and it sounds like a cross between Brazilian rosewood and Gabon ebony.

Register Sign in to join the conversation