Electromatics

2018 G5435 Pro Jet Volume / Tone issues

Hi, just joined the forum as I got my first Gretsch about 3 weeks ago, a lovely Pro Jet in Fairlane Blue and have a question for the more experienced Gretsch owners out there about some weirdness I am finding with the controls.

I realise there are other threads here about the controls but wanted to get input from people with the newer electromatic models as it sounds like the older ones may have used different pots/wiring etc.

The issues I am finding are...

Master + Pickup volume @ 100% = Tone does nothing until almost all the way off and then it just goes super muddy, almost like a switch in behaviour, no roll off at all.

Master @ 50% or less + Pickup @ 100% (of the other way round) - Tone acts like a second volume control and rolls off all volume with no change to tone.

Tone @ 100% - both volumes work smoothly!

Tone between 25% - 0% + Pickup @ 100% - Master volume gets to about 5% turn and then rapidly removes all volume.

I haven't managed to play the guitar as much as I would like since I have had it hence only just noticing this issue.

Is this just an idiosyncrasy of the Gretsch wiring or does it sound like a manufacturing issue?

Ideally I want a functioning tone pot that does not alter the volume settings to such an extreme.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

Welcome to our forum. It's a great place to be.

Gretsch controls can take a bit to get used to. Most of the new Electromatics have the treble bleed circuit in the master volume. That should alleviate these issues, I believe. Not sure the Pro jets had that from the factory.

Others with more experience with this will likely chime in.

Dan, the first two scenarios you describe are not normal. Sounds like the tone pot is wired incorrectly or is faulty.

But first, be sure that what you think is the tone pot is actually the tone pot. Looking at the guitar from playing position, It should be the control closest to the floor. If you look at the guitar vertically, it should be the control furthest to the right on the lower bout. In the diagram attached, it is the control labeled "#3". Controls #4 & #5 are the pickup volume controls. I only mention this because many newcomers to Gretsch sometimes get the tone control and the bridge volume control confused.

Dan, the first two scenarios you describe are not normal. Sounds like the tone pot is wired incorrectly or is faulty.

But first, be sure that what you think is the tone pot is actually the tone pot. Looking at the guitar from playing position, It should be the control closest to the floor. If you look at the guitar vertically, it should be the control furthest to the right on the lower bout. In the diagram attached, it is the control labeled "#3". Controls #4 & #5 are the pickup volume controls. I only mention this because many newcomers to Gretsch sometimes get the tone control and the bridge volume control confused.

– Tartan Phantom

Thanks for the diagram Tartan Phantom, I just did a double check and the Pro Jet is definitely wired differently!

On mine, controls 3 and 4 are the pickup volumes and 5 is the tone - I have read elsewhere Gretsch swapped the wiring over on the newer models for some reason.

If I am on neck pickup then control 3 does nothing and on bridge then control 4 does nothing so they are the pickup volumes.

So it looks like I am definitely using the tone control and after a bit more playing round it is definitely rolling off any remaining volume if any of the volume controls are below about 70%, and not really doing much to the tone even if the volume is at 100%.

I think I may have to take it back to the shop and compare to another model and see if it is a faulty wiring issue or just a bit of Gretsch oddness - hopefully the former as I really like the guitar but right now it won't work for me if I can't use the controls as I like to,

If I am on neck pickup then control 3 does nothing and on bridge then control 4 does nothing so they are the pickup volumes.

The way to check which controls are which is by turning what you believe to be one of the pickup volume controls all the way off and use the pickup selector. If you indeed have turned a volume pot off, one position will be full volume, the other completely off.

It sounds like you might have a misplaced ground in the circuit. Have you taken the covers off to make sure something isn’t floating around in the control or switch cavities? Does the pot that's in the tone position have a cap attached?

Your latter description is basically how they work. The tone control has long been a thorn due to the volume decrease as the tone darkens. It comes that way. A mod exists to change it.

On my personal example, I keep the volume wide open and use the pickup volume knobs to blend for many different tones. You are correct that they only mix in the middle position of the three way and only control the assigned pickup in the other settings. It took me a while to get used to the set up after years of strat simplicity.

You’re volume is reduced when you turn your tone counterclockwise not just high end?

You’re volume is reduced when you turn your tone counterclockwise not just high end?

– Curt Wilson

Yes, if the volume - either master or pickup - is set to anything below about 95% then the tone rolls off the volume.

If the volumes are set to 100% then the tone just does the tone, but barely noticeable until it hits about 5% and then it all goes very muddy very quickly.

It is almost like the tone pot is operating like a switch - all or nothing.

Both volumes also take loads of top end off - I almost can't use them as they make the whole sound very muddy very quickly.

For now I have just been leaving everything on full which is not great as I like to use the guitar controls to change the sound.

Register Sign in to join the conversation