Duane Eddy's House of Twang

When I was knee high

to a grasshopper....the records around my house were owned by my parents ie: Pat Boone, Perry Como,Tea For Two.... ya get the idea. Then there was Ricky Nelson he was way cool. When I was twelve years old I heard this on the radio and I knew I just knew there was something not sure what but there was a real world out there. Converse, white socks, rolled up blue jean pant legs, a Levi jacket and of course a Boss Guitar!

http://www.youtube.com/watc...

Between 'Rebel Rouser' and Chuck doing 'Johnnie B. Goode' and Link doing "Rumble" it kept us high school kids happy at the burger and malt drive ins...

'Ramrod' was my first Duane 45. I was 13. Loved it. Still do.

At that age and at that time, buying 45s was a serious business — no way could you afford to buy more than a few of all the records you wanted, so there was a well thought out co-ordinated effort by a bunch of us school kids over who bought what. Then on Saturday it was round to someone's house to play them all. I had Ramrod, Some Kinda Earthquake, Git It by Gene Vincent — and The Chirping Crickets; someone else had Rebel Rouser, Cannonball and the first Ventures LP etc and so on. Happy days — life seemed such a breeze back then.

EDIT. I also had a 45 by the Jack Eubanks Orchestra called "Chiricahua". It was sort of 'Duane-y' in a way, but the melody was similar to Footpatter by The Fireballs. I'd only had it a month or so and someone 'borrowed' it and I never got it back — and I've never even heard that record since.

When I hear Duane play ANYTHING I get all warm and nostalgia-ey. Odd thing is, it only works when he does it. Someone else trying to play like Duane sounds like someone else trying to play like Duane.

Copies are just that...

Ah Deed, that's the one. I remember not being too impressed with the 'A' side — after Ray Charles and Jerry Lee Lewis, 'What'd I say' was a done deal for me — but I liked Chiricahua. Since I first posted about this, I've found a copy on UK ebay. I'm thinkin' about it!

Ah Deed, that's the one. I remember not being too impressed with the 'A' side — after Ray Charles and Jerry Lee Lewis, 'What'd I say' was a done deal for me — but I liked Chiricahua. Since I first posted about this, I've found a copy on UK ebay. I'm thinkin' about it!

– Dave_K

– Dave_K

I found this on YouTube:

Chiricahua

When I hear Duane play ANYTHING I get all warm and nostalgia-ey. Odd thing is, it only works when he does it. Someone else trying to play like Duane sounds like someone else trying to play like Duane.

Copies are just that...

– norm van maastricht

Copies are just that...

– The Norm

To that, I will say... AMEN!

Hey, Rich, thanks for that. I haven't heard it since about 1962!

Register Sign in to join the conversation