Duane Eddy's House of Twang

We have lost the The Great Reggie Young.

Saddest news...the sweet, kind, humble, loving, and most brilliant guitar player you would ever want to know passed away yesterday, at his home in Leipers Fork, Tennessee. Jenny Lynn Young, the love of his life, was by his side.

You can look up his amazing body of work, it’s absolutely mind boggling. Take a few minutes to listen to some of the tracks he played on, he always knew what was exactly the right lick. Here’s Reggie with Merle Haggard. His last solo was so good Merle had him just take it on out and then some.

sad...one of the greats..rip reggie young

cheers

Man, what a guitar player! Very sad to hear this.

Wikipedia lists these songs as a partial listing of his work:

• The Box Tops - "The Letter", "Cry Like a Baby" (sitar)
  • J.J. Cale - "Cajun Moon" and "Cocaine"[9]
  • Neil Diamond - "Sweet Caroline"
  • Dobie Gray - "Drift Away"
  • The Highwaymen - "Highwayman" and "Desperados Waiting for a Train"
  • Herbie Mann - Memphis Underground, Reggae II
  • Willie Nelson - "Always On My Mind"
  • Danny O'Keefe - "Good Time Charlie's Got the Blues"
  • Sandy Posey - "Born a Woman" and "Single Girl"
  • Elvis Presley - "Suspicious Minds," "Kentucky Rain," "In the Ghetto," "Don't Cry Daddy," and "I've Got A Thing About You Baby"
  • Billy Joe Royal - "Down in the Boondocks"
  • Dusty Springfield - the Dusty in Memphis album, featuring the hit song "Son of a Preacher Man"
  • Billy Swan - "I Can Help"
  • B.J. Thomas - "Hooked On A Feeling" (sitar), "Hey, Won't You Play Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song"

Reggie Young, legendary guitarist that he was, will always be a hot-shot Rockabilly guitarist to me. His lead guitar work as a 19 year old in 1955 with Eddie Bond and his Stompers is just incredible.

That plus the couple of years he spent touring and recording with Johnny Horton in 1958 and 1959 and his stellar guitar work as an original member of Bill Black’s Combo, firmly established his place in the pantheon of all time great guitar players.

And all of that was before he went on to play session guitar on a truck load of hit records.

RIP Reggie.

In many ways an unsung phenomenal guitar hero , who put the musical backbone into so many songs ! - RIP Reggie .

What a player. RIP Reggie.

Amazing the work this man has done over the years. You're right Deed, he did seem to know "what was exactly the right lick ".

From BJ Thomas: “It’s hard to really get it straight in your mind that a guy who had no ego about what he was doing could play the amazing things Reggie played," Thomas said. "He was never trying to stand out. That’s the difference between Reggie and a lot of guitar players. He’d be playing right in the groove — but all the while doing these little things that made a song special or made it a hit.

“But then, when he wanted to, like with ‘Hooked on a Feeling,’ he stepped up with that (signature Coral electric sitar) part and did what I think is one of the classic solos of all time,” Thomas added. “You know, after working with Reggie, Eric Clapton said he was the greatest guitar player he ever heard — that’s a pretty good accolade.”

RIP Mr. Young.

Reggie Young’s name is very familiar to me, although I don’t know that much about him. I think of versatility when I think of him. He seemed to be able to play just about anything, any style, anywhere, anytime. A truly great guitar player was he, and from all who knew him, a truly good guy. This old world needs more Reggie Youngs.

Respect and condolences.

Sad news indeed. "Drift Away" and "Dark End Of The Street" - two of the greatest songs ever.

one of reggies best..the harmonized intro is him...and some great licks throughout

billy swan -i can help

this song was an acknowledged breath of fresh air back in the 70's super slick nashville country era...had rockabilly and zydeco touches

cheers

ps- great gear heavy interview with reggie from vintage guitar mag

https://www.vintageguitar.c...

Tomorrow, Reggie will be laid to rest in the cemetery of his beloved Leiper's Fork.

His influence on the way I try to play is stamped all over me. Just the way Steve Cropper is. It was just part of the musical world I was immersing myself in. His solo cd is an absolute must, pure taste,no filler. RIP Reggie

I didn’t realize that I was so familiar with his work. R.I.P.

Reggie's memorial service was truly a celebration of his life. We couldn’t remember seeing such a gathering of the music community since we all said goodbye to Chet at The Ryman.

Great music, wonderful tributes from family and friends. When’s the last time Cry Like a Baby by The Boxtops was played in church, I ask you? At full volume, the entire track. That Coral sitar was just ringing!

Thanks for the update Deed, nice to know that he had a good send off.

Very sad. What a legend.

TrueTone Lounge has a three part interview with Reggie Young. Part 1 is here. Absolutely captivating. Link

Very sad Deed, thank you for bringing this to our attention. We've been losing so many of the great musicians this past year. RIP Reggie Young

I didn’t realize that I was so familiar with his work. R.I.P.

– Baba Joe

Me too and have been playing "catch-up" to listen to as much as I can. An incredible talent....played on over 150 top 10 singles! Godspeed, may he rest in peace.

Register Sign in to join the conversation