Duane Eddy's House of Twang

Wax Time albums

I've been seeing some of Duane's early (Jamie) work being offered for sale on 180 gram vinyl on ebay (UK) etc...

The label is described as "Wax Time" & the artwork/covers are as the US original issue.

Are these genuine and or correctly licensed ?

Does anyone know anything about them please, I don't want to buy a bootleg copy

Anybody come across these albums ?

Dick.

Not quite bootlegs, but almost. Under EU legislation, after 50 years from the original release date sound recordings pass into the Public Domain. So anyone can release anything - you could, I could; Duane receives no performance royalties on sales from these albums and neither does Jamie. Duane should receive composer and publishing royalties for his own compositions as these are protected by other legislation, but I doubt if he does. These laws apply only to the EU so these releases are legal only for sales in the EU; they should not be advertised for sale outside the EU or (I think) exported outside the EU. Jamie still hold the copyright to their material in the US. This applies to all sound recordings issued in Europe up to December 1963; the copyright legislaton was changed several years ago to ensure that material released after that date is protected and does not pass into the Public Domain, so the vast majority of releases by The Beatles, for example, are protected. Technically, the "Wax Time" releases do break the law because the material they release must be copied from a format in which the original was released (essentially disc - 78, 45 or 33rpm) but instead I think they use digitised sources that they have stolen from other companies.

Ah Well......

No such thing as a "free lunch" as they say

It seems they are produced in the "EU" which led me to being wary about them as there some countries there who do steal copyrighted material Probably best if I just leave it here

Thanks for the info Arthur

Dick.

It's not really stealing copyright; it's exploiting badly-made law. The UK law on copyright of sound recordings gave protection for a period of 50 years from the initial release, whereas in some other EU countries (including I think Germany & Holland) it ran for only 25 years; when the UK joined the EU, the rest of the EU adopted the UK standard. For several years the EU discussed extending the period but there was little pressure to do this as many of the artists who were losing out were from the US. It was only when British groups faced a similar fate that the period was extended - might be a coincidence??

As always it is about the money Arthur.

Dick.

Yes I agree Dick, but I don't really understand why the copyright on sound recordings originally ran for just 50 years whilst anything written (books as well as song lyrics) was protected for much longer, usually for the writer's life-time and then some extra years. For years you could buy out-of-copyright albums by folks like Sinatra inthe UK, but it is clearly not co-incidence that the copyright on sound recordings was changed in time to protect British & European artists just as they were beginning to dominate the charts. It's very fair that this was done, but it could, and should, have been done much earlier. The various EU countries adopted the UK laws on copyright when we joined the EU but that's the time when the legislation should have been revised. One of the reasons that vinyl such as these is marked as being "made in the EU" is that some countries in Eastern Europe still retained their pressing plants so companies were forming a queue for their service.

Register Sign in to join the conversation