Duane Eddy's House of Twang

The Water Tank Reverb

Taffy's earlier post recognizing Rebel Rouser on the Billboard Top 100 got me to thinking. The water tank tone was unique, and I can sense that now. When I was a youngster, I didn't dwell that much on tone. I had quite a few of Duane's early 45's, but they have since gone by the wayside, but I was wondering, were there any other recordings with Duane using the water tank, or was Rebel Rouser a one and done so to speak? I remember reading that the neighbors around the studio weren't very fond of it because they tank was outside, which allowed the whole neighborhood to enjoy the music, but apparently some weren't so appreciative.

So, I am wondering how much more the water tank was used after Rebel Rouser?

From what I recall reading, it was a short lived era, but what a sound!

Speaker on one end and microphone on the other end?

Maybe you would like to see what it looked like.

– Richard Hudson

Is this really the one? Where is this picture from? Thanks for posting -- I've often wondered.

Speaker on one end and microphone on the other end?

– Gasmoney

Our theater had similar. Speaker on one end, mike on the other, but they took it farther. First one was a thick wall cardboard Sonotube that was nearly 100' long. 15" Altec in one end and holes for mikes every five feet so you could adjust the reverb time.

The second was a L shaped room with a pair of speakers and two mikes. It worked fine except for one problem. They'd built it in the basement under the large ladies' rest room. It was fine until the first show, then, in the middle of a classical piece---FLUSH!!!. It wound up as a store room.

The third and final room was an oddly shaped W, two stories tall, with three speaker and mike setups---left, center, and right. It had adjustable curtains to help control the sound. It was used until 1981, and was taken out of service just as I started on staff.

They also did echo using reel to reel tape recorders---Ampex 350s. Many of the apocryphal tales you hear actually are true.

How exquisitely ironic the sound produced , with improvised basic equipment and materials . Beats modernity with its highly sophisticated space age technology , computerisation and electronics ! - Back to the water tank in all its glory - Back to basics with the sound that still makes the earth move !!

Is this really the one? Where is this picture from? Thanks for posting -- I've often wondered.

– lx

Now, I'm wondering too. It seems that I remember seeing something that was about the museum in Arizona that had a little more detail about the water tank. I haven't found what I remember yet, but, I'll look some more. Maybe someone else will beat me to it.

Now, I'm wondering too. It seems that I remember seeing something that was about the museum in Arizona that had a little more detail about the water tank. I haven't found what I remember yet, but, I'll look some more. Maybe someone else will beat me to it.

– Richard Hudson

That's the one.

The Musical Instrument Museum Phoenix, Arizona.

The one in the black & white picture maybe, but that red one is more like Spinal Tap’s Stone Henge.

The one in the black & white picture maybe, but that red one is more like Spinal Tap’s Stone Henge.

– Deke Martin

The red one is a replica.

Makes sense...

I love the fact that both pictures are taken from what looks like almost exactly the same angle.

Register Sign in to join the conversation