Duane Eddy's House of Twang

The Roaring Twangies

Came across this LP the other day. Cool artwork.

A very underrated album I always felt. Great arrangements, top session guys and producer Billy Strange reckoned they all had a ball recording it. Favourite track ? The opener on side one, "Bye Bye Blues. The tone of Duane's guitar just oozes class !

I always see the album quite largely has a tribute to Glenn Miller . Duane made me think of the way Glenn had the troops marching with a real spring in their step , jazzing things up so to speak . Firstly to the consternation of his commanding officer , but the generals ( real top brass ) were absolutely delighted ! " St Louis Blues March " comes to mind . It was a great film of course , James Stewart gave a consummate performance in the lead role ! --- The CD recording was always playing in my car at one time ! ---- Once again Duane had proved that no musical territory was out of bounds to him and his ' twangy ' guitar !!

Correctly, St. Louis Blues March.

Don’t forget that Duane preceded that Glenn Miller classic with another on his second album, Especially For You, with Tuxedo Junction.

Correctly, St. Louis Blues March.

Don’t forget that Duane preceded that Glenn Miller classic with another on his second album, Especially For You, with Tuxedo Junction.

– Richard Baguley

How remiss of me to make a slip like that ! - An aberration on my part now corrected ! - Guess I was thinking of seeing Duane's London show in October ! - Thanks Richard .

Also issued on 4-Track Reel To Reel Tape.

Here's Billy Strange's recollection of the musicians who played on the album. Maybe Jack Walton and Rich Gallagher remember seeing this on Billy's blog.

This list might not be completely accurate. Maybe Deed can help?

Roaring Twangies Musicians:

Trombone: Dick (Slide) Hyde, Lew McCreary, the other two elude me. Sax: Plas Johnson, Bill Green and serveral others. Piano: Don Randi Organ: Leon Russel Bass: Chuck Berghoffer Elec. bass: Carol kaye Drums: Hal blainel Guitar: Bud Coleman (rhythm) and of course Duane Eddy on lead guitar. Percussion: Emil Richards Trumpets: Roy Caton, Bud Brisbois, Ollie Mitchell

Source: Billy Strange

Tony,

Yes, I remember that discussion. Billy Strange kindly autographed my CD of The Roaring Twangies/The Biggest Twang of Them All.

I see that there are still a few copies of the CD available at Amazon.

Register Sign in to join the conversation