Duane Eddy's House of Twang

The London Palladium

Duane & Jimmy Page

I saw the link on the DEC FB Page earlier and have listened to most of it.

First Love, First Tears, Three-30-Blues, The Lonely One and Kommotion are missing as is the snippet of Trambone.

The sound is marred a little by the hall reverb in that seat and the limitations of the camera are obvious however that said it’s still an excellent memento of a great gig. I’m sure we will listen to it several times!

Duplicate comment due to GDP server error.

Tim, please delete this as the page delete button doesn’t work. TIA.

Duane and Jimmy. My mind is blown.

I hear the influence of Duane’s low-string riffage all over the riff-based approach of hard rock and metal. To me, there’s a direct connection.

But even if you don’t see that, seeing two progenitors together as elder statesmen, having long ago progenerated, still healthy and vital and clearly basking in the pleasure of each others’ company, kinda honoring each other’s accomplishments and acknowledging their connections - well it’s just something to see.

For guitarists who know the legacy, it’s a bit like eavesdropping on Mt Olympus.

Man.

Duane and Jimmy. My mind is blown.

I hear the influence of Duane’s low-string riffage all over the riff-based approach of hard rock and metal. To me, there’s a direct connection.

But even if you don’t see that, seeing two progenitors together as elder statesmen, having long ago progenerated, still healthy and vital and clearly basking in the pleasure of each others’ company, kinda honoring each other’s accomplishments and acknowledging their connections - well it’s just something to see.

For guitarists who know the legacy, it’s a bit like eavesdropping on Mt Olympus.

Man.

– Proteus

Likewise.

Duane & Jimmy Page

– Tony

This is the Coolest pic on the net today!

Hi guys! In Sheffield for a few days off, we go to Manchester on Monday.

After the show at The Palladium was a bit of a madhouse, but needless to say having Jimmy Page come to say hello was fantastic. Our dear friends Sir Peter Blake and his lovely wife Chrissy surprised us! You will surely know Sir Peter’s work, of course one of his best known is the Sgt Pepper cover.

Good for Jimmy and Peter...

Fast picture swap there, keep them coming!

Hi guys! In Sheffield for a few days off, we go to Manchester on Monday.

After the show at The Palladium was a bit of a madhouse, but needless to say having Jimmy Page come to say hello was fantastic. Our dear friends Sir Peter Blake and his lovely wife Chrissy surprised us! You will surely know Sir Peter’s work, of course one of his best known is the Sgt Pepper cover.

– Deed Eddy

I adore Peter Blake he taught Ian Dury.

The Palladium show was the best I think I have ever seen , the only one that came anywhere near was probably the " Giants of Rock'n'Roll " some years ago ! - Bruce Welch also went back stage there , but of course he never came out and performed ! --- With last Tuesdays show the unique Eddy sound seemed to reach a new zenith , resonating throughout that beautiful Victorian theatre with its great acoustics . The sonorous ' twang ' from Gretsch guitars built with such skilled craftsmanship , to Duane's specification . Seemed to make the auspicious event even more special . Those hits that have been part of our lives , in my case since school days are given a new relevance and depth . Duane the consummate performer , dealing with such laid back , laconic ease , any audible interjection from the enthralled capacity audience ! - How many would have to treat with incredulity that the energised gent is an octogenarian ? - Our guitar hero really is a perpetual renaissance rock'n'roll star, a worthy international senior statesman for the music industry ! ---- Can I make a reference to Robert Vincent and his group ? - What a superb job he made of holding the fort musically speaking , until Duane came on . Robert is such a talented performer , a great singer and song writer . My guess is that he is one to watch ! ---- One or two last points . ---- I remembered that the late Elmer Bernstein used to spend half of the year at his home in Santa Barbara , California and half in Warwick England . How great it would be if Duane and Deed could do something similar ! - They are held in such high esteem in the UK . …… and then just perhaps we could see Duane weaving his magic again , do a little recording and write the UK chapter of his book . For there will be so much to write ! ------ Lastly Manchester is in for the musical event of the year ! -- I am so grateful to my son , Chris , for making it possible to see the fabulous Palladium show !!

I’m so glad to hear that you were able to be there, Les. Many thanks to your son, that was very sweet of him. It was a fantastic night, looking forward to Manchester on Tuesday. With Albert Lee, I might add!

My son Chris took this photo , when Richard Hawley on vocals , joined Duane ! The Palladium continued to rock , down to its Victorian foundations ! - Little wonder that the earth moved for us ! Like Duane , Richard is a great performer , ordinary folks like me can identify with !!

Just can't wait for the show in Manchester tomorrow night. Birthday present from my wife.

Can't join the shindig of the North in Manchester tonight ! - A new and exciting meaning to the " Northern Powerhouse " thanks to Duane ! ---- Metaphorically speaking I am however so reluctant to leave the Palladium !! -- Perhaps another pic or two from Chris would be acceptable .

One more from dear old London town !

I've caught samples of it from FB and youtube but would love the CD if there is one.

I guess age is not a factor because what I heard was as rock 'n roll charged-up as years ago. Truly gut-punching, spirit-raising, excitement-providing musical magic!

Duane demonstrating his bass guitar during an interview/meet & greet done at Regent Sounds guitar shop in London, the day after the Palladium concert (Oct. 24th, 2018).

I really enjoy how he often use his guitar to demonstrate what he's talking about during audio and video interviews. If it's something technical, a song he's thinking of or anything.

The concert was also truly amazing! Duane sounded really good in that room. And it was very nice to get to know you, Deed!

(Photo taken by me, right before the interview started.)

Who else could look so at ease and at home , in a veritable Aladdin's Cave of guitars ?

OMG Duane never used the Bigsby on guitar man? Have to say us Brits love Duane and whatever he does is going to be awesome.

Duane in Regent Sounds, Denmark Street? Wish I'd have known. Back in the '60s that place was a recording studio and sometime in early '64 a band I was in came down from Liverpool to make a demo there. It got us into the Pye studios in Cumberland Place, just near Marble Arch -- but sadly no further!

The Rolling Stones (and lots of others) also used that little studio. Some interesting info in the 'about us/history' page at www.regentsounds.com

It was so cool to be on Denmark Street, the heart of guitar stores in London. The English Tin Pan Alley. Let’s welcome our newest GDP membe, from Norway, Njaal “Neal” Kiese. We met that afternoon at Regent Sound, and he also came to the show in Manchester.

I’m going to post a few pics, I wish I knew how to post multiples in one post.

Register Sign in to join the conversation