Duane Eddy's House of Twang

The London Palladium

Wish you were all here with us ! Soundchecking...

I love The Palladium, sat in the front row last year to see the great John Prine. Have fun.

What an awesome gig! Best we’ve ever seen Duane play. On train now, tired, but very happy. Full report tomorrow.

We can but echo Deke's comments.

Duane was right on top of his game and then some.

Never ever expected to hear Duane playing Chuck Berry solos!

Wish I was there!

Congratulations Duane & Deed on a fantastic show. The band were brilliant and so great to see Imelda May, Richard Hawley and Bruce Welch. I can't wait to play my CD of the evening.

CD of the evening?

I heard someone mention that as we were leaving. Very tight for time so could not check it out.

Will there be an opportunity to buy one elsewhere?

Must have been a great show!

I'm very happy for you and Duane, Deed! How cool, I love London and all of England. I got to visit it often during my military assignments to Europe. I'm sure you're having fun, enjoy your time there, I wish I could be there with you.

Yep, definitely the place to have been that night!

WOW! Looks like a memorable night. I can't wait to see whatever YouTube videos show up.

View this post on Instagram

Great night meeting Duane Eddy and Richard Hawley before Duane’s gig at the London Palladium. One of two gigs Duane’s playing in the UK. Today is his 80th birthday. Imelda May sat in too. Thanks Nashville Music City & Hillsbalfour. #duaneeddy #legend #richardhawley #imeldamay #londonpalladium #london #musician #rebelrouser #petergun #guitar #twang #icon #instrumentalrock #country #rocknroll @hillsbalfour #nashvillemusiccity #pulp

A post shared by Lisa Young (@lisayoungphoto) on Oct 23, 2018 at 4:36pm PDT

View this post on Instagram

Great night meeting Duane Eddy and Richard Hawley before Duane’s gig at the London Palladium. One of two gigs Duane’s playing in the UK. Today is his 80th birthday. Imelda May sat in too. Thanks Nashville Music City & Hillsbalfour. #duaneeddy #legend #richardhawley #imeldamay #londonpalladium #london #musician #rebelrouser #petergun #guitar #twang #icon #instrumentalrock #country #rocknroll @hillsbalfour #nashvillemusiccity #pulp

A post shared by Lisa Young (@lisayoungphoto) on Oct 23, 2018 at 4:21pm PDT

CD of the evening?

I heard someone mention that as we were leaving. Very tight for time so could not check it out.

Will there be an opportunity to buy one elsewhere?

– Richard Baguley

I would like to reiterate Richard's point about the CD ! - My son Chris and I had to leave towards the end of the show . In order to catch a train back to Coventry . When we eventually got back to Warwick . Chris then had to drive to a village , beyond Stoke on Trent . So I too would love to buy the CD , of such a fabulous show !

Guys I’m so sorry that we couldn’t connect. It was a long, crazy day. But I cannot thank you enough for coming and I’m so glad you were able to see this show. I’m a very proud wife, can’t deny it. I have some great pics to post, coming tomorrow. xx

I have to echo all the comments and reviews of the show. It was a great night, Duane was more relaxed than I have ever seen him in a gig, he and the band looked as if they were enjoying every minute of it, the good humour and gentle insults being taken with a smile. The music, well, outstanding, Duane's white Gretsch shone in the spotlight and his tone just cut through everything, just as the Black Gretsch reverberated around the old theatre and threatened to loosen some of the masonry! A few surprises, namely the rock and roll tribute to Chuck Berry (Memphis) and the stunning Imelda May, fabulous vocals on Tennessee Waltz and Rollin' and Tumblin', who appeared to be overcome with emotion by the moment. Duane played pretty much most of his back catalogue of familiar tunes and they were excellent, nothing from his later period, but as it was a birthday celebration I guess he didn't need to.. Have just listened to the CD of the show and it's hard to believe that this is a warts and all pressing, no mixing or overdubs and it sounds fantastic. If you are going to the Manchester show, you are in for a massive treat. If you can't make it, try to get the live CD as this is really the next best thing to being there. Thanks, duane, it was a magical night!

Duane and Deed, Wow. You made this old (but very young at heart) man very happy last Tuesday! I want to thank Duane and all the supporting musicians for a wonderful evening at the London Palladium. The wave of warmth radiating from the audience towards Duane was like nothing I've experienced before. By golly, the man has still got it! And here's a thing: while as you get older the short term memory may suffer a bit, many of the golden early memories remain. And for me this show brought back vivid images of sitting in the gallery at the Lewisham Gaumont on 18th March 1960 looking down on Duane and the Rebels at his first UK performance. I still have the programme. Duane, I remember you were dressed immaculately in that famous sports jacket and you recreated the unique sound of your recordings to perfection with a fraction of the stage technology we have today. Why am I saying this? Well, I might be able to boast being at both your first and your last London concerts - but, who's listening to Mr Hawley? Looking as fit as you do, I don't really believe you won't be back! All the best.

By the way, the show CD is superb!

Duane, Richard Hawley and his band play HARD TIMES.

Yep! Great concert! Third time I've seen Duane "live" (100 Club, 1975, and Palladium, 1990) - great to hear not only the "greatest hits" but also the ones I'd not heard "live" before, like "My Blue Heaven" and "Kommotion" (the latter being the first DE record I ever heard, the one that started me off!

I was taking notes, with a view to a possible review. Could anyone kindly help by giving me the names of the two Rebelettes? They made a great contribution, not only on the obvious numbers, but in enhancing the likes of "Rebel Rouser," "Blueberry Hill" and "My Blue Heaven." Made them sound just like the records!

When I'm up in the wee hours I always do a search to see if anything new from Duane has been posted somewhere. Well, boy did I get lucky this morning. Here's the whole Palladium concert.

Register Sign in to join the conversation