Duane Eddy's House of Twang

Steve Wariner c.g.p. Signature Gretsch!

This is great news, and it’s a beauty. Adam Bowden-Smith tells ya all about it.

Interesting mix of components. Like!

Unique and compelling feature set! I think this will appeal to a lot of people. I got a chance to play it and it was awesome.

Duo tron pickup. Isn’t that first for production models?

Duo tron pickup. Isn’t that first for production models?

– Richard Hudson

1st that I have seen. The Duotron neck is a very nice pickup. I like the electronics on this one.

Ain't that sweet! I dig it!

When discussing the features of this new model he doesn't address the neck width at the nut!! It looks to me to be that extra bit wider and I would think, being designed by Steve, it could have the wider neck.

The You Tube videos, one by Joe C and the other from L&M don't mention the neck width nor do they mention the profile shape. These two features can play a big role in choosing a guitar, far ahead of it having a coil splitting feature. It can have all the bells & whistles and be pretty as can be but if your left hand isn't comfortable, it can be a no-go for a lot of folks. It is a very pretty guitar and I like how they've left the sparkle out of the f-holes!

I can't find a spec sheet on this model anywhere, yet.

Joe just got the final approval for this model last week. Thus no specs yet. He said it should start shipping in July.

The Force is strong with this one.

Well, in the other thread it was stated 1 & 11/16ths. After playing the 1.71 width I am convinced on the wider neck. If this turns out to be wider, I would love it .

It's a unique and very smart spec which, as Bowden-Smith points out, combines elements of the 6120 Nashville and certain Country Gents of ages past.

Not to simply reiterate the contents of the video, but a listing of the important specs in print might clarify that this is a unique spec for Gretsch. I don't think these elements have all been combined before.

• 16" body (6120-size)
• 2.75" depth (rarely if ever found in a 6120; this is Country Club/6122-1958 territory)
• 25.5" scale (the "Gent" scale, to my knowledge not used in any other 6120)
• faux f-holes (so a kind of really deep fully-enclosed Electrotone body; I think the 6122-1958 was as deep, but I don't remember if it had the faux effs. JD?)
• TV Jones/Paul Yandell DuoTron at neck; Classic at the bridge
• coil taps and no-load tone control (both new in combination here)
• brass nut (comes on Duane Eddy model, but any other production Gretsch?)
• Standard Tru-Arc in brass (thanks, Gretsch! This was a pleasant surprise to me!)

Aside from the appearance or the neck dimensions, this combination of features ought to yield a unique but classically Gretsch voice. It's clearly been spec'ed by someone with a thorough understanding of Gretsch characteristics, and presumably voiced to a very particular purpose. It ought to be in the sonic family of the '58 and '59 Gent models - possibly a little fuller and more resonant of voice than either, with a rounded but still bright and articulate response. (I'm guessing. Love to get some quality time alone with one of these and a good amp.)

Neck width wouldn't be make-or-break for me. Surely the nut won't be narrower than 1-5/8" - but I like a little more width there myself, as I seem to be getting sloppier as I age.

Bracing is a very interesting question. "Like a Gent" could mean any number of things - soundpost, waffle bracing, full or partial trestles. Since bracing will determine if it's more open and resonant or more focused, that makes this probably the most interesting remaining question to me.

(Other than what I should start selling in order to get one. Along with a Broadkaster or Bk Jr.)

Given the proliferation over the last few years of center-blocks and other "modernizing" specs meant to increase Gretsch penetration of the mainstream market, it's great to see Gretsch continuing to serve (and even innovate in) one of its bedrock traditional market segments. Chetters and CAAS ought to be thrilled.

Congrats to Steve Wariner, a player richly deserving of the sig-model honor!

Dang interesting specs on this model.

@Prot, yes the 6122-58 has the faux "f" holes.

It does have the 2.75 body depth, brass nut, and trestle bracing too.

FWIW, my 6120-59QM-LTD has a 2.75 body depth.

I think that this new addition with the Electrotone body will be a treat for many, and with all the other features, a very special guitar.

Thanks, JD. That brings more clari-claritee. Depending on bracing, this can be thought of as a 6122-58 in 16" form. What do you bet Steve W is well acquainted with the 6122-58?

It's a model that always deserved more attention, and this guitar revives most of its virtues.

He certainly may have, even though the -58 has the short scale.

That said, going to a long scale and a 16" Electrotone body could just be the perfect combination.

I'll be interested in the neck shape, but we'll learn more as the release date comes closer.

Til then, drool and wait! Lol

A bit esoteric for me spec. wise . But I would love to hear Duane do the equivalent of a meaningful , constructive critique on the guitar . We know that's what we would get from him . …. and to quote Duane from some years ago , put very succinctly , " Its all about the sound ! "

According to the Joe C video, Steve Wariner asked his son for his input on the design. Aside from coil tap, I wonder what other suggestions he made.

According to the Joe C video, Steve Wariner asked his son for his input on the design. Aside from coil tap, I wonder what other suggestions he made. -- Mark G

I would think that the son's input would have been for any features that would reduce feedback issues during performances at higher volumes or with higher amounts of gain. That would include using the Electrotone body style.

When discussing the features of this new model he doesn't address the neck width at the nut!! It looks to me to be that extra bit wider and I would think, being designed by Steve, it could have the wider neck. -- windsordave

Put your credit card away, Dave. You won't come to terms with this one. It has the standard Gretsch width of 1-11/16". Stick with what you have or find yourself a G6122-1959 with the 1-3/4" neck width.

I believe Joe said it has trestle bracing.

According to the Joe C video, Steve Wariner asked his son for his input on the design. Aside from coil tap, I wonder what other suggestions he made. -- Mark G

I would think that the son's input would have been for any features that would reduce feedback issues during performances at higher volumes or with higher amounts of gain. That would include using the Electrotone body style.

When discussing the features of this new model he doesn't address the neck width at the nut!! It looks to me to be that extra bit wider and I would think, being designed by Steve, it could have the wider neck. -- windsordave

Put your credit card away, Dave. You won't come to terms with this one. It has the standard Gretsch width of 1-11/16". Stick with what you have or find yourself a G6122-1959 with the 1-3/4" neck width.

– Ric12string

Any idea of the neck shape Bob?

IMO, this is a model that is long overdue...

– Tartan Phantom

Who's the guy in the middle?

– Ric12string

Thanks Bob. I won't be searching out the Gretsch Holy Grail Gent - actually I prefer the HOF version cause it's orange - as I already a collection of wider neck gits. Leading the pack is the SC & Gibson Gent followed by the Super Axe, 2 Ovation & 2 Eko acoustics so I think I'm good.

BTW, another cost I'm saved is replacing the brass nut with a blank I' have to have Nicole recut for me to bring the low E closer to the binding's edge.

Looks interesting. Thank heavens it has a standard neck width of 1 11/16," not the awkward 1 3/4."

Register Sign in to join the conversation