Duane Eddy's House of Twang

Signature guitars…

Is Duane the only artist to have a signature guitar model with three different guitar manufacturers, Gretsch, Guild and Gibson?

I don't know for sure but I think Edward Van Halen has had as many. Did he have a signature guitar with Kramer? He was also signed up with Peavey and Music Man before he started his EVH line but I'm not certain of the details.

Yeah I'm thinking EVH probably holds the title in that fight.

If you want to talk about sig models though, Setzer has to be at the top, if not very close.

the great johnny smith, who many consider to be the greatest jazz guitarist of all time, was involved in 4 models- an early epiphone with a gretsch v type soundhole, a guild model that he later rebuked (ala duane), his classic gibson model and a more recent heritage model

also any pickup attached to an archtop neck is usually referred to as a johnny smith pickup

cheers

Neatone, you're forgetting that after the Heritage, Smith went back to Guild! There was a Guild/Benedetto JS Model, so he was really with Guild twice - that makes four different guitar models with his name on them! :)

walter, so that makes 5!!..figures he hooked up with benedetto!

unfortunately the very cool epi model pic is not coming up in my post

Eliot Easton has had several with different manufacturers

Johnny Smith had signature models with Guild, Gibson, The Heritage, and afterwards went back to Guild/Benedetto.
He also had guitars built to his spec by D'Angelico and Epiphone.

There have been Brian Setzer guitars by three different companies too, a Guild, a very short lived Yamaha model, and of course the Gretsches.

And there are plenty of people with signature models by two different companies, Barney Kessel was with Kay and Gibson, Herb Ellis with Aria and Gibson, George Benson with Guild and Ibanez, Roy Smeck with Harmony and Gibson, Merle Travis with Gibson and Guild, Bert Weedon with Hofner and Guild, etc....

another jazz great, howard roberts had a signature model by both gibson & epiphone, plus ibanez, greco, goya, aria and ventura!!!

Link...

cheers

If you want to talk about sig models though, Setzer has to be at the top, if not very close.

– Cory Ripley

– Ripley1046

Yeah, but the thing with Setzer is it's either a 6120 with different control schematics, or the Pheonix. 2 guitars. Way behind the rest ;-) ;-)

Les Paul is the champ --- bazillions of variants by Gibson, Epiphone, Ibanez, Tokai, Ventura, Aria, Greco, Orville, et al --- arched tops, flat tops, singlecuts, doublecuts, dogear P-90's, soapbar P-90's. humbuckers, minibuckers, and various woods and finishes.

I do think that Duane has the coolest sig model Gretsch, though. :-) Love it. Need one.

Les Paul is the champ --- bazillions of variants by Gibson, Epiphone, Ibanez, Tokai, Ventura, Aria, Greco, Orville, et al --- arched tops, flat tops, singlecuts, doublecuts, dogear P-90's, soapbar P-90's. humbuckers, minibuckers, and various woods and finishes.

– Parabar

– Parabar

Gibson/Epiphone same company so really only counts as one. I don't feel any of the clones count because they do not carry the Les Paul Signature.

If Payless or one of the other Chinese counterfeiters came out with a Duane Eddy guitar. which is pretty likely, would it count? I say, no.

Eliot Easton had Gretsch and Kramer signatures before and now has a Gibson SG and Martin HD.

Do Groups count? The Ventures had models by Mosrite, Fender, Aria and now Wilson Brothers. Not to mention the separate Gerry McGee and Nokie Edwards models.

You could split hairs about them all being true "signature" models (as opposed to tribute models), but Clapton's got a Les Paul, a Strat, and a Martin.

Same deal with Lennon (i.e. sig vs tribute); he's got a LP Special, a Ric, and a couple Epis

Same deal with Lennon (i.e. sig vs tribute); he's got a LP Special, a Ric, and a couple Epis

– Otter

– Otter

and a Hofner Club 40...

– Otter

– Otter

Wow, I guess Lennon's the real winner of the whole signature guitar thing - seeing every one of those came out posthumously!!! :|

hey walter

was just reading in the epi book-the house of stathopoulo- (which i'm sure you are familiar) that johnny smith designed a gretsch guitar before anything else..it had the v soundhole( so as not to interfere with the bracing!)..but he had trouble with the neck..so he went across the river to epi and they made a similar one for him...which he wasnt too thrilled with either!

cheers

You're right - I have that book too, read that too! So that's almost six then eh? :)

well in a way you were right though, cause even tho he designed the gretsch and the epiphone, he stopped playing them before they actually went into production as signature models..his gibson, guild and heritage models were mass produced..i've never seen the benedetto (i'll have to look)..but that would make 4...

what a player! his stories about hangin with django in ny are great

cheers

It wasn't a Benedetto - it was a Guild, from the time Benedetto re-designed the solid-top archtops for FMIC/Guild. I think they called it the Johnny Smith Award, just like it was called originally.

hey walter

was just reading in the epi book-the house of stathopoulo- (which i'm sure you are familiar) that johnny smith designed a gretsch guitar before anything else..it had the v soundhole( so as not to interfere with the bracing!)..but he had trouble with the neck..so he went across the river to epi and they made a similar one for him...which he wasnt too thrilled with either!

cheers

– neatone

hey walter

cheers

– neatone

According to Jimmy D'Aquisto, Johnny Smith wouldn't play his Guild signature model because they made it "wrong." Smith wanted them to make it like John D'Angelico - make a non-cutaway guitar, then cut off one side to make a cutaway, which had to be patched. Sensibly Guild made it as a straight cutaway guitar. Smith insisted the way D'Angelico made it was the right, best sounding way. However D'Aquisto said D'Angelico only did it that way because he didn't want to make another mold.

Register Sign in to join the conversation