Duane Eddy's House of Twang

RIP Chuck Berry , a fellow rock’n’roll king !

RIP Chuck Berry a fellow rock'n'roll king ! - Like Duane a true pioneer , who changed the face of popular music . In the most exciting way , setting the ground rules whilst being a unique innovator. ---- I'm sure Duane will have numerous memories of the way they were both in at the inception of such a great era . I believe they not only knew each other , but have been on the same shows ! ----- Chuck obviously carried on performing whilst it was humanly possible to do so . He too had his own individual guitar style , he was very much the fans entertainer !

RIP Chuck Berry a fellow rock'n'roll king ! - Like Duane a true pioneer , who changed the face of popular music . In the most exciting way , setting the ground rules whilst being a unique innovator. ---- I'm sure Duane will have numerous memories of the way they were both in at the inception of such a great era . I believe they not only knew each other , but have been on the same shows ! ----- Chuck obviously carried on performing whilst it was humanly possible to do so . He too had his own individual guitar style , he was very much the fans entertainer !

– lesdk

I remember Duane mentioning awhile back that he and Chuck had taken a picture together.

I thought I read somewhere recently that Chuck had a new record coming out this year.

RIP

I remember Duane mentioning awhile back that he and Chuck had taken a picture together.

– Tony

Maybe Deed has some photos of when Duane played the Meadowlands in New Jersey back in 1985 with Chuck and Jerry Lee Lewis. Fats Domino also was supposed to appear, but as I recall he was ill and was replaced by Junior Walker.

Sad news, Chuck was a great innovator and one of the finest rock and roll lyricist s on the planet.

From a 2013 interview. Duane Eddy: The Return of the King of Twang.

You worked with a lot of the rock and roll legends of the ‘50s during their prime. Who was your favorite?

Chuck Berry. We became friends when we were on Alan Freed’s show. I asked him, “Why do you do that [thing where you] put two notes together to make that harmony sound?” He said, “I do it for the same reason you play on the bass strings – for the power. I want to make the music stand out.”

I asked him who he liked to listen to, and he said "Kitty Wells and The Everly Brothers". He said,"I'm country at heart!" He used to carry around a brand new Polaroid camera. He would press a button on it and then run over by my side and smile. I still have one of those old Polaroid pictures. Chuck signed it, “To the one guy who is for real.”

Register Sign in to join the conversation