Duane Eddy's House of Twang

RIP Bert Weedon

I've heard today that Bert Weedon has passed away aged 91.
He inspired many guitarists here in the UK to learn to play with his tutorial books. Though never a massive star performer he was, non the less, very influential in the development of British popular music in the 50's and 60's.

I well remember buying Bert's 'Play In A Day' guitar book many years ago as a teenager. Although he had a couple of hit's in the UK and a massive selling 'Golden Guitar Greats' album his playing style was never instantly recognisable. A talented musician none the less who did sterling work for the 'Water Rats' charity. R.I.P. Bert.

Berts early T.V. appearances were to endear him to many. His quiet unassuming persona , in a special and different way made him seem head and shoulders above the field ! - Bert was prolific with guitar work and recordings . I remember once on " Juke Box Jury " , when a fellow panelist , put a peg on his nose. - After a lady had her latest record played. - Bert diffused the situation succinctly with great feeling and skill. - He just said, " Thats what the best dressed men, are wearing today !" - The picture of Duane and Bert together, epitomized a bond through the medium of popular music, that cemented a good relationship understood by ordinary blokes like me. Thanks for that music !!

Berts early T.V. appearances were to endear him to many. His quiet unassuming persona , in a special and different way made him seem head and shoulders above the field ! - Bert was prolific with guitar work and recordings . I remember once on " Juke Box Jury " , when a fellow panelist , put a peg on his nose. - After a lady had her latest record played. - Bert diffused the situation succinctly with great feeling and skill. - He just said, " Thats what the best dressed men, are wearing today !" - The picture of Duane and Bert together, epitomized a bond through the medium of popular music, that cemented a good relationship understood by ordinary blokes like me. Thanks for that music !!

A major influence on so many British Rock/Pop guitarists over the past half century or so. So many Star names in the UK learned to play thanks to Berts tutorials, and are happy to admit to it. RIP Bert !!!!!

Bert was the first British solo guitarist to make it with his early guitar records on the Top Rank label over here. I loved him because he sounded a lot like Duane and he even had a big guitar that looked a bit like Duane's Gretsch 8-)

91 years is a good innings as we say over here.....R.I.P. Bert

http://www.youtube.com/watc...

hopefully that link will work

Dick.

Bless his heart, a long life and so well loved. What more could anyone ask for?

Another one gone.

Never my "cup of tea" but a darned good bloke and guitarist was Bert.

R.I.P.

He was in the documentary "The History of the Guitar" and he seemed like a very nice and funny man. Pity he died.

There is nice editorial in the Idependent saturday edition in the UK and Duane gets a nice mention . Bert used some of Duane's twang in his licks.Seems he recorded the tune Apache before the Shadows but did not release it until after the Shads did such a great version. The twangs the thang'

As a guitar-struck teenager in England in the 1950-60s my heroes were Bert and Duane. In, I think, the late 1960s, I was in the audience in the Victoria Palace, London a concert by Duane. Hearing him play, live on stage, the music that had inspired me totally blew me away. Many years later I met Bert at a record shop in London when he graciously signed his "Rockin' at the Roundhouse" LP for me and we chatted about the "good ol' days" and how I was still trying to play "Shazam" properly! Two memories that I'll never get tired of reliving.

From yesterdays " Sunday Mirror " in the UK - the heading " Guitar hero leaves £65k " according to the article Bert Weedon left an estate worth just £65,072 ! - Now I know there must to those in this world, that would love to have that much to leave ! But every thing considered vis a vis his long career in the music business, it seems a very modest amount from a very modest man. - Held in high esteem, not withstanding that the quiet man it is said, had strong views during his life time on worldly matters ! - The article also quotes Brian May, " There s not a guitarist in Britain from my generation who doesn t owe him a great debt of gratitude." - Berts gone but certainly not forgotten !!

from wikipedia...

Neville Marten, editor of Guitar Techniques magazine, commented that Bert Weedon's contribution to the guitar world cannot be overstated: "With 'students' that number Eric Clapton, Brian May, Sting, Pete Townshend, John Lennon, Paul McCartney and countless others, Weedon could well be described as the most genuinely influential guitarist of all time."

Bert wrote a guitar tutorial book much like the Mel Bay books here in the States. Hence the term "students". He was a lovely man, a true showman in the old show business manner.

That was "Play In A Day", Deed.

I guess many oldies like me still have their copies and will never seil them.

and the follow on book "Play Every Day"

Great man very much missed!

He used to have a show on childrens BBC at teatime, had kids who were learning to play guitar on the show with him and each week he would show how to play a new chord and how to strum in different beats, emphasise "on beat" 1-3, or "off beat" 2-4 and everyone would join in with their accoustic guitars in the studio and he encouraged you to join in at home.

He usually had guests on with him and they would do a number together live...none of this miming and lipsinking.

He must have inspired thousands of kids to take up the guitar over here in UK.

He always finished the show with a virtuoso performance just to show what could be achieved with practice.
But the last thing he always said "remember kids, practice the new chord I showed you today so that next time we can play it together in a new number next time."

Many many years ago, around 1959. The band i was playing with backed Bert up at the Gaumont Theater in London. He was a gentleman! Low and behold in the 90's Joe read the obituary at my late brother's funeral in Golder Green. He was kind enough to give me a copy of which I will always treasure. Bert will be missed.

Neat tribute to Bert Weedon on The One Show , on BBC 1 TV tonight . With contributions from Joe Brown and the editor of Guitar Magazine . - Who I have also seen in Marty Wilde's Wild Cats ! - Its good that the Beeb remember Bert ! The pictures previously featured in this thread , with Bert and Duane together, remain a bona fide treasure !!

Sad new. He had also his Guild signature model with dearmond pickups.

What was really cool about the coverage on the One Show was to find out that Play in a day was still in print 50 years on! Oh and Ronnie Wood was the guest and watching Alex Jones struggling with that huge J200, very funny. I did Bert's sound once at the Bow Road community centre, the other guys I was working with didn't know who he was but to me it was such a honour.

Bert definitely did record the original version of Apache, and I'm fairly sure it was released before The Shadows' record - it entered the Top 50 just one week after The Shadows'. It had a great B-side - Billy Mure's Lonely Guitar - and that was the side that was played on Juke Box Jury, and the side I bought the record for!

Register Sign in to join the conversation