Duane Eddy's House of Twang

Peter Gunn” late 1950’s TV Show

To get by here during our self-isolating experiment we added Netflix and Prime. Discovered last night was access to the first 3 Seasons on Amazon.

Check it out...1958, B&W, Private Eye, Police Detective, Beat Generation, Cool Jazz Club, Bad Guys, cute Blonde singer/girlfriend.

It started the whole thing, Daddy-O!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wi...

What a Theme song...

Unfortunately there were only 3 seasons and a rarely screened French made film. If you're seeing these for the first time, you're in for a lot of fun. Blake Edwards also made a fun show from then called "Mr. Lucky." Check out "Stacatto" aka "Johnny Stacatto" starring John Cassavetes as another "jazz detective."

If you've never heard Henry Mancini's soundtrack albums for "Peter Gunn" and "Mr. Lucky" do your ears a favor and check them out. Mancini's soundtracks had a major impact on bringing jazz to TV and both albums hold up well today. BTW, the guitarist on the "Peter Gunn" theme and most of the album's guitar leads is the legendary Bob Bain.

Mancini's 'the music from Peter Gunn';

by far, one of the coolest albums in my parent's record collection, as a kid.
I don't remember my mom ever playing it, so it must've been my dad's.
It is now in my iTunes library. Great listening.

Great stuff, the RCA Living Stereo LPA albums were fantastic and this one figured in my early listening" We had a 6ft long Radiogram full of LPs Twin Speakers, either end Turntable on top and cracking amplifier, bass response wow" I managed to get a copy of Chet Atkins Teensville in Living Stereo from USA to UK, Duane Eddy rocked the place" still does" .

I believe it's John Williams the composer on piano on the original recording of the Peter Gunn theme.

I believe it's John Williams the composer on piano on the original recording of the Peter Gunn theme.

– tabletop

Yeah, there were quite a few real musicians on those shows and Lola Albright who played Gunn's girfriend was a real singer. A couple of early Stacatto shows had Barney Kessel, first with a Gibson, then with his Kay sig model which really popped in black and white.

It would not be a stretch to say that Mancini's Peter Gunn Theme and score significantly influenced John Barry's arrangement of the James Bond theme and early Bond film scores.

It would not be a stretch to say that Mancini's Peter Gunn Theme and score significantly influenced John Barry's arrangement of the James Bond theme and early Bond film scores.

– Gretschadelphia

Add to the fact that the original James Bond Theme (credited to Monty Norman) was played by Vic Flick on a British full body archtop (Orpheum/Orpheus?) with a DeArmond/Dynasonic pickup and it comes back to Duane Eddy.

Add to the fact that the original James Bond Theme (credited to Monty Norman) was played by Vic Flick on a British full body archtop (Orpheum/Orpheus?) with a DeArmond/Dynasonic pickup and it comes back to Duane Eddy.

– lx

I think it was a DeArmond Rhythm Chief 1000 model. Love the story that he left his Strat behind somewhere and only had the archtop for the session. Glad he did...couldn't have sounded better. Link

No question there is also a lot of Duane Eddy DNA in Vic Flick's guitar work on the Bond theme. The fat twangy tone Flick got with that hollowbody archtop was perfect. By the way, the guitar Flick used was actually a 1939 Clifford Essex Paragon w/ a DeArmond Rhythm Chief pu on the sliding stick mount played through a Vox AC 15. Flick is also the guitarist on the instrumental arrangement/version of the Beatle's "This Boy / Ringo's Theme" on the Hard Days Night soundtrack (but Flick reportedly used his Strat on that one). There has been a lot of controversy over the years as to who actually wrote the James Bond theme. John Barry had always insisted that he wrote it and that it was based on another composition of his, "The Bee's Knees". However, apparently the courts disagreed and it remains credited to Monty Norman. Most experts agree that the Bond Theme is actually an arrangement by Barry which melded Norman's composition with Barry's Bee's Knees. As you can see, I have too much time on my hands........

In 1967 Paramount released a feature film called "Gunn" which starred Craig Stevens, but the rest of the cast was new. Ed Asner played Lt. Jacobi in the film.

We're just about through Season 1.

This may well have been the first of the modern American P.I. shows. Martin Kane, P.I. had been on many years earlier with a similar, but, older Trench Coat, Pipe, Fedora format...not jazzed up and cool for the Beat Generation.

The Brit TV Avengers and Saint came after early 60's.

The most likely first Cop show, Dragnet, had been on for a long time...1951.

Sounded great on Vic Flick's Stratocaster too. I saw him live with the John Barry 7 on a family trip to Blackpool at the Winter Gardens in 1962.

That white Stratocaster with the Vox amp soared above the horns and just filled the whole theater with such an amazing sound. My old Dad talked about it for weeks!

Don't overlook M Squad with Lee Marvin! Basie did the theme.

Sounded great on Vic Flick's Stratocaster too. I saw him live with the John Barry 7 on a family trip to Blackpool at the Winter Gardens in 1962.

That white Stratocaster with the Vox amp soared above the horns and just filled the whole theater with such an amazing sound. My old Dad talked about it for weeks!

– Yavapai

I'm pretty sure Vic played a German big body Jazz guitar on that session.

Don't overlook M Squad with Lee Marvin! Basie did the theme.

– Billy Zoom

absolutely bz...i've had that soundtrack for years...a fave of cyril j of the flamin groovies!

cheers

Register Sign in to join the conversation