On the 'tube

Romeo Void - Never Say Never

I love this era (1977-83). Bands such as Romeo Void, X, The Alley Cats, Stray Cats, The Plimsouls, Wall of Voodoo, The Waitresses, The Knack, The GoGos, The Flirts, Josie Cotton ... and the list goes on.

Right in my wheelhouse. Don't forget the Polecats in that mix! I count my blessings for growing up within earshot of KROQ and Rodney on the Roq.

love this track! Exciting , raw...... like rock'n'roll should be

Great bands! Girl in Trouble was one of the best pop songs of the decade IMHO

Great use of 12th fret harmonics!

I love this era (1977-83). Bands such as Romeo Void, X, The Alley Cats, Stray Cats, The Plimsouls, Wall of Voodoo, The Waitresses, The Knack, The GoGos, The Flirts, Josie Cotton ... and the list goes on.

– ThePolecats

Hey Polecats, let's not forget the Polecats as well!

New Wavey Rockabilly that despite looking new wave, have some Duane Eddy-ish sounds going on.

Always loved the riff to this one:

Count me in as another big fan of this era.

Romeo Void used to open for us a lot. They were a great band and really nice people.

Tim Price DBA Precio265 and crowbone, I agree that The Polecats were great musically. should have included my name sake.

Tim, me too. I went to High School about 3 miles down the road from them. This is when they were in Pasadena before they were bought out by a corporate entity and moved to a high rise in Burbank. A girl from my art class (1985) would stake out KROQ on Los Robles, for bands that came into studio for on air interviews. She would hang out and as they rolled up in the limo she'd take pictures and show them to us.

About Rodney. I see him around when I'm over in Hollywood on Sunset. He's a guy who often is driving or walking around the Sunset Strip. He really is the mayor of the Sunset Strip. I feel KROQ disses him now even though he was there in the beginning and helped build them into what he is. Richard Blade got the shaft from them.

Great bands! Girl in Trouble was one of the best pop songs of the decade IMHO

– RichB555

Exactly. An amazing song.

Thanks for bringing them up; I'd forgotten about them in the last thirty plus years. Thirty years -- how did that happen?

Seems like lots of new wave bass players used picks.

Why do I keep wishing it were still 1980? ??****

Also from that era -- let's not forget the Kingbees who I was big into

And for me the top of the heap

Rockpile!! CAN YA RELATE TO EDMUNDS, LOWE. BREMNER, & WILLIAMS

As a New Yorker I really did see great weaknesses in those West coast bands. Romeo Void, Wall of Voodoo, X, The Three O'clock, Oingo Boingo, and all those horrid California hardcore bands were just so weak in comparison to their New York counterparts. Ramones, Talking Heads, Blondie, Stray Cats, Beastie Boys, The Fleshtones, Patti Smith...you really think LA's Missing Persons is anywhere near that level?

Having said that, occasionally a great song from the west coast did happen by accident. Romeo Void's "Never Say Never" is one hell of a great song. Hands down one of the greatest bass lines of that or any era.

Good point. Now comb your hair over it

As a New Yorker I really did see great weaknesses in those West coast bands. Romeo Void, Wall of Voodoo, X, The Three O'clock, Oingo Boingo, and all those horrid California hardcore bands were just so weak in comparison to their New York counterparts. Ramones, Talking Heads, Blondie, Stray Cats, Beastie Boys, The Fleshtones, Patti Smith...you really think LA's Missing Persons is anywhere near that level?

Having said that, occasionally a great song from the west coast did happen by accident. Romeo Void's "Never Say Never" is one hell of a great song. Hands down one of the greatest bass lines of that or any era.

– Spiritwalker

I was a big Missing Persons fan and still am. I like the bands from the NY scene that you mention except Patti Smith. Just don't get her or her music. The LA scene bands I started the thread with are just as if not better than the NY scene bands but that is a matter of opinion.

X was and is a powerful band. I am not going to pit X against The Ramones because both are equally amazing. Billy Zoom is a heck of a rockabilly player that was much needed in this town during that era to kick the music industry in the @ss to move into something great.

By the way I dislike The Germs but that wasn't a band I mentioned in my original posting about that era and scene.

– Spiritwalker

Mr Walker can you clarify weakness?

Really let us know how these bands are weak?

I have seen all of the bands you mentioned and then some.

They traveled to the east coast in beat up vans and played like heroes in Trenton Nj. I am a Philly/Trenton Nj guy. East coast through and through.

I know youse know what know is a good gig. You dig?

Seeing Billy play "Los Angeles" in 1982 in a crappy Trenton Club was pretty amazing. I saw X 3 times at City Gardens, Wall of Voodoo was pretty amazing too. As was gang of 4, DK's, and Flock of Seagulls. and New order and JFA and the list goes on.

All were amazing performers and really good songs.

Where is the weakness? What is weak?

Where is the weakness? What is weak?

OK, let's take one band from LA and one from NY to demonstrate weakness...weak.

OK, do you think Wall Of Voodoo's song "Mexican Radio" says anything? Makes you feel the human condition? Tells us about who we are in society? Uhhh, no. It is therefore a weak song. Now put on any Talking heads song and they speak about who we are and how we live as human beings. That is strong.

Now do you really want me to compare the poet goddess Patti Smith of New York to Los Angeles Missing Person's Dale Bozio -- the singer best known for wearing goldfish bowl over her chest?

Those LA bands were weak (never touched upon real emotion, real thoughts, reality). What they gave us were songs about listening to a Mexican radio station. Wow. Alert the media. While LA bands sang about Mexican radio, NY's Patti Smith sang about her very soul. I'll take songs about the human soul...they are not weak.

Billy Zoom is a heck of a rockabilly player that was much needed in this town

OK, your neck of the woods had Billy Zoom doing rockabilly, my neck had Brian Setzer. Both artists offer much...I just prefer Setzer for that rockabilly thing.

OK, do you think Wall Of Voodoo's song "Mexican Radio" says anything? Makes you feel the human condition? Tells us about who we are in society? Uhhh, no. It is therefore a weak song.

Weak, lack of human condition. Nailed it.

SpiritWalker, what are you doing, trying to start an after the fact, East coast/West coast type of Rap war of 80's bands?

Talking Heads, specifically, David Byrne's voice, is one of the most soulless things on the planet, but that was kind of the appeal, wasn't it? Presenting human emotion in a new way. Up All Night is still a fav of mine.

If you think Stan Ridgeway had nothing to say in Mexican Radio, then you're not listening.

While X definitely is a LA band, the Stray Cats were a New York band the same way Hendrix was a Seattle artist...through London.

Fred, City Gardens was the best/worst club ever! I see Randy Now every Sunday at a farmers market selling Charles Chips. He's got a place up in Bordentown, Randy Now's Mancave

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Mr Walker.

I grew up on the East Coast and moved to the West Coast in 1988 mostly because I wanted to find a unique band with lots of energy like Fishbone or Oingo Boingo which were two bands I discovered in high school. I didn't realize they were the only bands like them in the universe. I thought there would be more variety in Los Angeles than where I grew up in Pennsylvania.

When I got to Hollywood it was all glam metal.

I'm still looking.

California had The Dead...we had The Velvet Underground. Californis had The Waitresses and The Go-gos...we had The Ramones and The Cramps.

Well there is some divide here over west vs. east coast. If we were talking pizza I would say east coast wins, no contest, but musically speaking, both coast have great music. No either or here for me.

California had The Dead...we had The Velvet Underground. Californis had The Waitresses and The Go-gos...we had The Ramones and The Cramps.

– charlie chitlins

That is a bit apples to oranges.

I would say California had the Weirdos and the Gun Club if we were comparing to the Ramones and the Cramps respectively, but that is probably picking nits.

Register Sign in to join the conversation