Duane Eddy's House of Twang

New Duane Videos!

Fantastic stories Dolf, and in triplicate ! 8-) You close by saying 'more later' well I hope so as it's really fascinating to hear. Thanks a lot.

"Smoke That Smoke"....Duane and Rebels were in Chicago 1959, recording at Chess Records (oh yes, another story) and the next day we had a day off...Duane had to meet with Adm. folks about Buz matters...So Jim Horn and Al Casey and I had the day off...We went sight-seeing...WW-ll Submarine etc..The idea came up.."Lets smoke some Marijuana" Great...We got ta get it first..and somehow that happened....So we parked the 59 station-wagon on the side of the hi-way...rolling and spilling until we had at least one solid joint...We passed it around.."Smoking"....nothing happened We just coughed.. big-time....Jim Horn especially...after some time we gave it up..."Someone gave us bad stuff" we thought....."we were jibed..Darn!....Al Casey explained later, after some research.."We have to inhale and hold it".... This was news to us, since none of us smoked.......More later...Sorry about the 3X on last story anyone know how to correct that?...feel-bad!.....Yet again more later.....Dolf Payer

I have some photos of Duane Eddy & Al Casey at my wedding on May 18, 1958. Duane was my Best Man and a real great help at that time getting me focused...I will try to post photos ...here goes??? more later ..Dolf Payer

Dolf Thanks for the great stories and, hopefully, the photographs. Much appreciated. As an old 'trap rattler' myself [That's English slang for a drummer !] I really enjoy your contributions to this forum.

CHESS RECORDS Duane and Rebles, in 1959 were invited to Chess Records to " try some things out"...I am sure what...however we were cooly greated and treated. We recorded a few songs....It was strange for usually in recording session only musicans were in the studio..not here ..6 to 8 people just looking..not much expression...So we played, talked, jam some too. Came time to leave and we thought we were going to get paid...but someone in Chess Mang stated "No" but you can go in the basement and take all the record you can carry...I down these old dark staires .. there was only this clear 25 watt bulb and all these great records stacked on the floor. ...I got Chuck Berry, Bo Diddle..etc...but I could not take too many for space in the Station Wagon was tight..I still have some of the record. This was the second of only two times I recorded with Duane...Of all the recording session I did in Phoenix at Audio Records, ViV, etc...Duane gave off a very calm feeling in a usually high stress recording studio, this allowed the feel of a song to be felt. Care...More later Dolf

Great story Dolph, keep 'em coming ! :D

Thanks for sharing these great videos.

And that is a great story Dolf.

Duane was signed to Jamie Records (Philadelphia) from 1958 until 1962. He was contractually prohibited from recording for another company. It's a bit confusing, this story, but the years go by and some memories can get confused, but Duane has never recorded in Chicago, nor at Chess Records.

Now here's a thought............... did Duane actually go & do some recording as described by Dolf that day. Possibly only "guesting" on some tracks ?.....somebody in the studio then checks & finds Duane is under contract. Whoa!..... this is getting too complicated "sorry guys we can't use this".

"Take some records for your time" & the party is over ;-)

Now, do these recordings exist ? if they were recorded in this way & have actually survived 8-)8-)

But as Deed points out ..... give me a date in 1959 & ask me what I was doing.....unless it was particularly memorable, no way would I be able to remember the details.

Love these stories even if they may not be 100% accurate :D :D

Dick

Dolf Payer---amazing stories. Thanks.

I always enjoy the Duane videos you put up Tony, thanks.

Duane can document nearly every day during those early years on the road. Every itinerary, tour book, and calendar. He never recorded in any cities other than Phoenix, LA, and one session in New York. He was contractually bound to record for Jamie Records, as I mentioned above.

I hope to correct things here, history is important. 100 percent accuracy is what I'm after.

This reminds me of " Dragnet " and Sergeant Joe Friday, played by Jack Webb. Remember his saying , " Just the facts , ma am ! " ---- Deed is the lady with the facts , lets hope that they are never lost ! --- The chronicles of Duane Eddy ! - Dolf with his anecdotes gives us a good insight , as to the role of a team player . In at the start of something big ! - Having a retentive memory is great ! - However some historical facts really should be incised in tablets of stone. For future generations !!

DUANE COACHES:...In late 1956 or early 1957...I was playing at "The Riverside" not the Tavern or Ballroom for $10 per night.. on Fri & Sat night..I went to Able hall after 1 am and sat in, and got job playing with Buddy Longs band along with Duane, Jimmy Dell, Buddy Wheeler and Buck on Bass...This was an "A" Band in Phoenix Ariz. at the time..We played a TV show at 6pm for $28 then traveled to Able Hall at apx Van Buren and 35 th Ave. and played from 9am til 3 am for $40 This was a big deal..one night paid for a month of 3 sq's/day meal ticket & dorm rent at Arizona State University. I played for a few weeks...I made a lot of errors, wrong breaks, turning beat around, rushing etc... Buddy Long, leader, lead singer a very kind person state.."Horse.. I got to let you go"...I am crushed! While we were packing up Duane took me aside...explained the good things I was doing a firmly suggest..Listen to the song we do on the radio..get a strong feel and love of Country songs not the jazz- thing you doing.. and get a metronome and practice to it..This all said in a firm, brotherly way.....A few days later he followed it up on with a phone call...to see how I was doing. I got my old job back with Buddy Dabbs at the Riverside...Played along to Country music in my 51 Chev..Started drum lessions with Jimmy Troxel ( a great teacher and house drummer at the Flame Night Club) Jimmy broke and retrained almost all my bad habits and after a time started me on bonce-control, finger-control and no-sound high hat time control on breaks...Jimmy was the best drummer in Phx. He could be rough in habit changing, but had a warm heart..He would sneak me into shows at the Flame so I would watch him play. I went back to Able Hall after 1 am from time to time and sat-in..Duane would state..." Hey..your getting better"

Some time went by.. more practice, radio listening, drop the jazz....Then Buddy Long and Duane ask me to return to the band... YEA!... I did....More later.....Dolf

Dolph - I love it ! 8-) Keep these stories coming because they give great insight into the Phoenix scene of that period which I like so much.

MOVIN' N 'GROOVIN TO LOS ANGELES: It was early 1958, Duane had Movin'n'Groovin moving into 70's on the charts. Duane asked Buddy Wheeler and I to go with him to Los Angeles, not to play with him but join him on his first Rock & Roll show. I grew up in LA area, Montrose and La Puente knew the area...Buddy a great steel guitar and bass player had this 1952 Cad limosine...with jump seats...We left Phoenix, I was in the back seat with drum pad, driving Duane and Buddy crazy...We got to LA and it was cold, but anywhere away from Phoenix is cold, anytime...any how we got to downtown LA, around the Sixth and Main area in this big, maybe 2000 seat theather...There with other acts on the show..like Roy Hamilton.. Duane only had Movin' N' Groovin...The House band was Red Prysock tenor sax, who could hold a note for 5 minutes and they had a great B-3 organ player, no bass....So Duane comes on and does just great a show...Sounds great... Just Duane, Drums and B-3 doing foot pedel bass lines and sax . The girls go nuts..Duane smiles they go even more nuts.. making lots of noise. Duane was feeling good... He had to do a week, we had to get back to Phoenix...But first a stop at Drum City in Hollywood. Here you could get free 14" Plastic Snare Drum Heads from Remo Balie..Just to test and tell about them....Late in Phoenix...Duane was one of the few who liked the sound from Plastic Heads...More Later Dolf

So...did Duane have to take the bus to the theater, and back to Phoenix? 8-o

DUANE LAUGHING CRACK-UP....We were on the road...in the 58 Olds...Duane was concerned regarding quality of songs...We had his records in the car...so Duane bought a portable record player..so that new members of the band Jim Horn and myself could get details of song .."Exactly like the record"....Things like Bob Taylor bass drum on recordings is a four-four time but with a heavy accent on beats one and three and light beats on two and four...this gives a kind of a "Loping" feel of between a four-four and a two-four time....So we are trying to play the records in the car..which works best with the record-player held on your knees and on toll-roads..and even then the record would skip or click-back...at one of the stops, on the toll-road Jim Horn and or Al Casey get the idea to put the click-backs into our next gig's sound check, Duane was not in on it. At the sound-check Jim gives a signal...I put the first beat on the one-and count, like a click, and Jim and Al repeat the bar again and again......Duane spins around...bending to his knees and just out-and-out crack-up laughing...We all laughed....A light time in the 300 to 500 miles a day and one night stands. More later ..Dolf

Great story Dolph :D

Hmmm...when I click on the videos, it says that they are "Private" and can't be watched. :(

NASHVILLE...In March 1959 Duane, Al Casey, Jim Horn and I, left Phoenix for New York to do The Allen Freed Easter Week show on March 27...We were to stop in Philadelphia to get new band clothes but at St. Louis we headed for Nashville..We drove day and night, changing drivers and or sleeping or talking...We arrive in Nashville at about 6am in the morning, in front of the Ryman Auditorium...Duane and Al wanted to see it...Jim and I just looked at each other ..We were both from Los Angles, and knew about R&B and Honk-Bands but little of country music...A reverence and wonder replaced our usual band chatter and we all stood in awe, in front of the Ryman.. Nobody talked for a while. No one was around in the early cold morning...After a while...Duane says lets get some breakfest and we did... A waitress asked.." Ya'll want grits with your cakes"...that's a yes and I learn and liked grits....It was years later that I learned what the Ryman ment to Duane and others...A place of wonder and respect for the soul of country music...one need only listen to Patsy Cline and Sweet Dreams to get a sense of it....Well we are off to Philadelphia to buy band clothes....More later...Care....Dolf

I can´t see the clips here, i get the message they are private video??

NASHVILLE...In March 1959 Duane, Al Casey, Jim Horn and I, left Phoenix for New York to do The Allen Freed Easter Week show on March 27...We were to stop in Philadelphia to get new band clothes but at St. Louis we headed for Nashville..We drove day and night, changing drivers and or sleeping or talking...We arrive in Nashville at about 6am in the morning, in front of the Ryman Auditorium...Duane and Al wanted to see it...Jim and I just looked at each other ..We were both from Los Angles, and knew about R&B and Honk-Bands but little of country music...A reverence and wonder replaced our usual band chatter and we all stood in awe, in front of the Ryman.. Nobody talked for a while. No one was around in the early cold morning...After a while...Duane says lets get some breakfest and we did... A waitress asked.." Ya'll want grits with your cakes"...that's a yes and I learn and liked grits....It was years later that I learned what the Ryman ment to Duane and others...A place of wonder and respect for the soul of country music...one need only listen to Patsy Cline and Sweet Dreams to get a sense of it....Well we are off to Philadelphia to buy band clothes....More later...Care....Dolf

– Dolf Payer

– Dolf Payer

Another good taste of yesteryear Dolph, thanks for that. :D We will be visiting the Ryman in October and I reckon I too will feel 'in awe' of such an historic building. Not so sure about the grits aspect though ! Great stories Dolph - keep 'em coming.

Register Sign in to join the conversation