Duane Eddy's House of Twang

Mickey Raphael - Country Music Hall of Fame & Museum - with Duane Eddy

Great video, Tony. Thanks for sharing. Wonderful to see Duane playing so well and enjoying himself.

Duane's next album should be Spirit Animal.

It was really fun. Mickey has played on some of the greatest music the world has heard, and he is a wonderful friend. I’m so glad you were able to see this.

Some of the other Nashville Cats who were there for Mickey. Abi Tapia (Country Hall of Fame), Andrea Zonn, Michael Rhodes, David Briggs, DE, Richard Bennett, Mickey Raphael, Jimmy Capps, and Bill Lloyd. Google for a wealth of musical amazement.

Such great photos , but I have a thing about monochrome , perhaps its turning the clock back a bit . - But I love it and particularly the one with Duane and his coterie of friends . ---- How the fabulous harmonica playing by Mickey Raphael seems to lend itself to Duane's guitar style ! - I have spent the weekend trying to think of the Mr.Eddy records where he has employed a harmonica player !

First that comes to mind is House of the Rising Sun, played by Larry Knechtel.

Nice! Thanks for sharing.

"House of the Rising Sun" was a great track Deed and wonderful to hear it again at DylanFest last year. I think that Larry also played harmonica on "Duane A Go Go Go". How about "Songs of our Heritage"? I'm not at home, so I just have the tunes in my head and can't check.

The whole tribute to Mickey Raphael can be watched as a catch up on the CMA site but at the moment the audio is missing from the first 7 minutes - hopefully that can be rectified. Here's the link:- https://countrymusichalloff...

– Deed Eddy

I remember buying the " House of the Rising Sun " single on its release , Deed ! - When I got it home and played it . I must have thought Duane's ' twangy guitar ' sound is not just exceptionally dynamic , its 100% muscle ! Bob Dylan and the Animals put their stamp on it . But for me it was the instrumental rendition that extracted so much more from a great song ! - Larry Knechtel's harmonica playing was of course an integral part of a super sound !

– Deed Eddy

Harmonica on some of Duane's RCA B sides. "Joshin" ... "Stretchin' Out".

Register Sign in to join the conversation