Duane Eddy's House of Twang

Look What I Found At The Flea Market

2 albums, $2. Pumped I found this!

Anyone know anything about this? I'm assuming that since it's Motown that it's legit....

Anyone know anything about this? I'm assuming that since it's Motown that it's legit....

– mikep13p

If you want to know more details about an album release than you'd ever need, discogs is the site to visit.

https://www.discogs.com/Dua...

You never know what will pop up at a flea market or thrift store! Great score, mikep13p. I hope that they are in good (playable) condition.

Sadly it’s in Mono. I have a copy myself, it is legit by the way.

It does seem odd that Duane's Jamie recordings should appear on Motown. The connection is Lester Sill, who was Lee Hazlewood's partner in the Jamie days. Lester worked his way up in the music industry, starting by selling records for Modern from the boot of his car. In 1985 Sill was named president and CEO of Jobete Music, the publishing arm of Berry Gordy, Jr.'s Motown empire. He remained with Jobete until his death in Los Angeles on October 31, 1994. I presume that he had some financial interest in the tracks being released, and Motown were not going to argue with him. I think that the Motown releases were the first legal issues on CD of Duane's tracks.

Motown aquired Jobete Records and is trying to make their money back.. A dear friend of mine just bought Soul Train Records & publishing. So I'm guessing that Motown bought them and is re-releasing probably everything they've released. I know I was on MCA Records back in the early `80's and it's long gone and gobbled up by Universal Music Group..

Sadly it’s in Mono. I have a copy myself, it is legit by the way.

– JACK

Nothing sad about mono. It would have been mono when it was recorded so any stereo version is just a corruption of the original.

What Tsar Nicholas said. So many great old mono recordings have been screwed up by being rehashed into stereo.

Even tho recordings are in stereo, there's a lot of centered/mono content in them. If you listen to a single Bluetooth speaker, it's mono. Remastered mono to stereo recordings often have sounds totally panned to one side or the other, which does sound odd.

I've never liked any attempt to create a stereo image from a mono original, but several of these tracks were released in stereo. Duane's "Have Twangy Guitar, Will Travel" had several stereo tracks and may have been the first "pop" album to be released with stereo cuts; remember this was 1958. "Peter Gunn" was issued as a stereo single on London in the UK, and is one three 45s included in the launch of stereo 45s in Europe. ON HTGWT, you can almost hear Lee & Duane thinking "what would happen if..........." so the saxes slip from one side to the other as if there were 2 sax players in the studio. One track on "Especially For You" (from memory "Fuzz") has different sax solos on the mono and stereo versions of the album.

Right place, right time, right buy...

You are probably correct Simon - my brain is getting old!!

Register Sign in to join the conversation