Duane Eddy's House of Twang

Glen Campbell can still break your heart

Thanks Deed. I believe that this is the first song I've heard off his final album. I read that he needed cue cards for the lyrics in the studio but he still had the perfect pitch. What a talent, both singing and playing.

Based on this song I'm sure glad he did one more album.

That's a heartbreaker. Sad to see such a great talent as Glen wind up this way.

Thanks, Deed, for posting that song. I really appreciate the craftsmanship that when into writing that song. The words are one of farewell, but not of a maudlin goodbye because of his death. Yet, the connection is still there in everyone's mind. The melody is good with the changes during the Adios bridge interesting. And Glen's singing harkens back to his younger years, but with a sound of wisdom that comes with age.

I like that.

I've heard Wichita Lineman hundreds of times since I was a kid , every time I hear Glen's version I get emotional..The man just knows how to do it.

One of the most talented ever. Thanks

One of the most talented ever. Thanks

– Baba Joe

Always made it seem easy, too. I've enjoyed his music and persona for a long time.

Fantastic, what a voice... and the playing. Exquisite.

Written by Jimmy Webb.

– Deed Eddy

There you have it, what a great songwriter.

Deed , you always know just what to post ! - The Glen Campbell magic is still there , with that warm , rich tonal quality to his voice ! - That is unmistakably Glen ! ------ Was it not the case that he did great session work , on some of Duane's RCA recordings ?

Wow! Beautiful!! Thanks Deed -- This album is on my Must Buy list.

Glen Campbell Was one of my earliest musical influences and Wichita Lineman will forever be in my top 5 "desert Island" list. You can't beat his guitar playing or his voice..

Thanks for posting that, Deed. A link to a new small article in the New Yorker about Jimmy Webb at Carnagie Hall doing a fundraiser for Alzheimers.

Wow. While it is not my taste in music really that is some extraordinary singing. Fantastic - and would be amazing if it was from some guy in his twenties. Not many can sing like that.

I saw Jimmy Webb do a show once, showcasing all his incredible catalogue of songs. I saw then why he let Glen Campbell sing Wichita Lineman!

I was listening to Outlaw country sometime over the last couple weeks and heard an interview with Jimmy Webb. During the interview he mentioned that he gave "Lineman" to Campbell explaining that it was unfinished as he hadn't written the last verse. A week later he ran into Campbell and asked if he had finished the song. Campbell said "Finished it? We cut it." And the rest is history.

During the Webb interview they played Webb's version of "Lineman".

Link

If you have not seen the movie/documentary "Glen Campbell I'll be Me" you should watch it. It is about his Alzheimer and his last farewell tour. Having dealt with my father with this for three years this movie certainly answered some questions for me. Thank you to his wife and family for being brave enough to share this very personal story. You will need a box of tissues.

If you have not seen the movie/documentary "Glen Campbell I'll be Me" you should watch it. It is about his Alzheimer and his last farewell tour. Having dealt with my father with this for three years this movie certainly answered some questions for me. Thank you to his wife and family for being brave enough to share this very personal story. You will need a box of tissues.

– Raye Boals

I agree with Raye's thoughts on the movie. I am glad that I watched it. It was touching to see Glenn confront his challenge and to see the family's support of him as he did his last tour.

I read a comment from his wife, several weeks ago, that he is no longer able to make sense with a guitar but still "plays" air guitar.

Support research in mental health.

Register Sign in to join the conversation