Duane Eddy's House of Twang

James Burton is just the greatest…

This was a wonderful day. Photo by Robert Knight.

– Deed Eddy

'97. the Rock Walk induction Link

One more, James, Duane, Peter Frampton with friends (Nokie Edwards, Jerry Donahue, Seymour Duncan and others) at Muriel Anderson's All Star Guitar Night at the Ryman in 2004. (Note, Nokie isn't in this shot)

I love the old clips of James with Ricky Nelson. How about these youngsters playing acoustics, with James on a Rickenbacker (acoustic!)?! Can certainly relate to those evenings at friends' houses when I was younger, playing guitar and losing track of time..

Thanks very much for sharing that story Deed, that’s pretty cool.

I love the old clips of James with Ricky Nelson. How about these youngsters playing acoustics, with James on a Rickenbacker (acoustic!)?! Can certainly relate to those evenings at friends' houses when I was younger, playing guitar and losing track of time..

– Metman

Ricky's Ricks. He apparently had a couple at times

From Vintage Guitar interview with James Burton.

VG How about your first electric?

JB My first electric was also a Gretsch, but, one day I walked past G&S Music and I saw this Fender Telecaster hanging in the window. Man, it really caught my eye! So, I went home and told my mother and dad about it. Dad said to mom, “Well, take him down and let him check it out.”

From Vintage Guitar interview with James Burton.

VG How about your first electric?

JB My first electric was also a Gretsch, but, one day I walked past G&S Music and I saw this Fender Telecaster hanging in the window. Man, it really caught my eye! So, I went home and told my mother and dad about it. Dad said to mom, “Well, take him down and let him check it out.”

– Deed Eddy

Ya mean just asking is all that it would have taken?? Geez, now someone tells me!

– Metman

I am quite envious of people who had friends that played guitar when they themselves were just getting started. That sharing of licks, tricks, and techniques can only accelerate the learning process. And it has to make you play better in a group setting.

JB was great with Elvis -- really helped put those big 70s Elvis shows over well.

I saw Elvis with Burton in 1972 at the LV Hilton...as Ed Sullivan would say, "a really Big Show!"

james got his tele painted (his now iconic) red to match his cadillac!!

og master of the telecaster...he and the other jb...jimmy bryant!!

cheers

Totally concur about James guitar sound , on the early Ricky Nelson records ! It was the perfect enhancement to Rick's great vocalising on equally great songs. The guitar sound is special when it lingers in the mind ( another aspect of Duane's claim to fame ) ---- Elvis also benefited from the talents of the doyen guitar supremo !

– lesdk

Back in the 1980s we had a photo of Duane with Rick Nelson on the cover of Twangsville. I'll have to look for it in my archives.

Register Sign in to join the conversation