Duane Eddy's House of Twang

James Burton is just the greatest…

So we’re outside at our local Lowe's yesterday, checking out the new CharBroils, ( you can wear out a barbecue/grill down here in no time), when we hear, “Are y’all crazy, it’s too hot to grill out!”

We look up and there stands our dear friend and all around genius guitar picker James Burton. It’s been a long time since we’ve seen him and it was a fantastic surprise. Duane and James go way back and I always love to listen to them talk about their history.

This was a wonderful day. Photo by Robert Knight.

Lowe's just got a whole lot more cool!

And while we’re looking back, this was so much fun to watch. Classic Ralph Emory Show moment. Chet was rockin' pretty good between James and Albert.

Wow!! Never though about being a "fly on the wall" at Lowes, but THAT would have been the moment!!

I always loved to hear James play. His licks on the Ricky Nelson recordings are all memorable. Lots of rock and roll history wrapped up in Duane and James.

WOW! This is an amazing story. I really wish I was there. Being able to meet them two, and yes, I would help with assembling the grills!!

CharBroils? Please tell me you use hardwoods and not gas....

Weber Rules...

I learned that little ring finger/pinky Chuck Berry-style riff watching James on an episode of Ozzie and Harriet...it pre-dates strings that you could easily bend up a half-step.

He probably had heavy Black Diamonds on his git at that time.

I think it sounds better...

And while we’re looking back, this was so much fun to watch. Classic Ralph Emory Show moment. Chet was rockin' pretty good between James and Albert.

– Deed Eddy

Great clip!

Totally concur about James guitar sound , on the early Ricky Nelson records ! It was the perfect enhancement to Rick's great vocalising on equally great songs. The guitar sound is special when it lingers in the mind ( another aspect of Duane's claim to fame ) ---- Elvis also benefited from the talents of the doyen guitar supremo !

I think that's James Burton playing the other guitar on Duane's "Renegade" from 1972.

Darn, I 'm usually at Menards.

Deed- That's awesome! Wish I lived near you guys.. I'd be hanging out at Lowes looking for all of you!

BTW, if you're looking at a new gas grill, I suggest checking out Napoleon. It's an investment, but it's the best grill I've owned.

I agree with the subject title. Love his stuff with Gram

This was a wonderful day. Photo by Robert Knight.

– Deed Eddy

classic pic..5 of the greatest/most influential electric guitar pickers ever!!

& funny the 2 left standing meeting at the lowes...gods bless

& btw, james burton was the inventor of the slinky string set...he used to use a banjo string for his high e..and junk the low E...he brought idea to ernie ball and ernie ball made'm famous...slinkys

he also cut all that rick nelson stuff with a tele...he just posed with the other stuff..(great gear tho it was!)

great pics deed..appreciated

cheers

I just have one burning question- did you get the new cooker?? Karen & I picked our new one up just before the long weekend... we decided on this one.

No James, though.

One of my favorites of Duane’s tracks, James plays the most out there solo!

So did you invite him over for a barbecue on the new grill?

I think I need to hang out at that Lowes more often.

Well...only in Nashville and environs!

I mean, I run into local pickers at our Home Depot.

Ours aren’t so epic, however.

Well...only in Nashville and environs!

I mean, I run into local pickers at our Home Depot.

Ours aren’t so epic, however.

– Proteus

When I lived in the Watsonville/Santa Cruz area, every morning there were lots of 'pickers' hangin' around the local Home Depots, but they were lookin' for construction work or 'pickin' fruit!

How cool- I couldn’t imagine running into James Burton at Lowe’s. I saw Joe Negri at a Macy’s a few weeks ago and was pretty stoked.

Two big heroes in one pic for shure!

Register Sign in to join the conversation