Duane Eddy's House of Twang

It was Sixty (!) years ago today…. I think.

Aside from the Irish thing, isn't today also another kind of anniversary?

Wasn't it on this day in 1958 that a certain recording was made in Az?

It was certainly sometime around today.

It certainly was Kevin.

Actually, and thank you Kevin, it was yesterday. Sixty years ago, nineteen year old Duane went into the Phoenix studio early in the morning with his musicians and wrote and recorded Rebel Rouser.

Sixty. I can honestly say I’m a little amazed at this fact.

Cool. Happy Anniversary!

Actually, and thank you Kevin, it was yesterday. Sixty years ago, nineteen year old Duane went into the Phoenix studio early in the morning with his musicians and wrote and recorded Rebel Rouser.

Sixty. I can honestly say I’m a little amazed at this fact.

– Deed Eddy

I am frequently amazed that I can remember 60 year old history. Unfortunately; I have no memories any where near as memorable as Duane's Rebel Rouser memory.

Thank you Duane. This is the song that made want to pick up a guitar and play. I still remember lifting the arm on the turntable over and over trying to learn it note by note. Rock and roll was strictly forbidden in our house so it truly was a Rebel Rouser.

Happy anniversary.

" Rebel Rouser " carries such historic importance in the music industry ! Its probably the most catchy and memorable instrumental rock'n'roll tune to come out of the 50s . I think it was also the most talked about . In that the incredible title seemed to be making a very profound statement , about the desire to be rebellious and non - conformist . - On the part of the younger generation , both sides of the Atlantic ! Great emphasis is attached to the 60s in terms of fundamental change . Yet so much was underpinned by embryonic trends and trail blazing musical innovation , in the glorious 50s , from the likes of Duane and his esteemed cohorts ! ---- Such a prodigious worker , writing and performing " Rebel Rouser " almost before the cockerel awakes the neighbourhood ! A song that is sixty years young , to the Eddy fans , ironically enough pervades a rejuvenating quality ! ------ But the 64 thousand dollar question is , who thought of the magnificently appropriate title and at what stage in the proceedings ? -- Was it an eleventh hour decision , that proved to be inspirational ?

Credit the title to Lee Hazlewood. Duane loved it and felt it was worth 50% of the song.

Coolness! Congrats, Duane!

I have a lot ( and I mean a LOT ) of instrumental tracks. These include around 60 versions of 'Rebel Rouser'. Hand on heart none of them come close to the original. They run the gamut from the Ventures to Jon & the Nightriders via Bert Kaempferts Orchestra. Duane's original blows them all out of the water. Thank goodness Dick Clark flipped Stalkin' !

Great track. It’s a tone and feel I often chase. One of my favourite guitar melody lines ever!

Read about the production in Lee HAzelwood’s bio

Register Sign in to join the conversation