Duane Eddy's House of Twang

Huey Lewis 1986

Back in 1986 my little sister, younger by 7 years, was a HUGE Huey Lewis fan and told me about this tour in the US.

Had we been American I might have taken her to see it.

There was a programme on UK TV in 1986 called Entertainment USA and one of the episodes was advertised as showing footage from one of these shows, but it never aired. Apparently Huey joined Duane on stage for his set.

Anyone see the shows?

I have a blue Gibson Spirit II XPL that was owned by Johnny Colla. Johnny, Chris Hayes and Bill Gibson took a tour of the Gibson plant and they were all given blue Spirit II XPLs. Chris was known for playing and recording with his throughout the mid 80s.

I was 10 that year and Huey Lewis and the News were the first bad that I really loved. Didn't see him with Duane but have seen him a couple times. Still go through phases where I go through his music.

The "Entertainment USA" programme was broadcast (was it Jonathan Ross?) in the UK & there was a brief backstage interview with Huey Lewis, with what I think must have been Duane's knee just in view!!

Huey Lewis was huge in Northern California in the late Eighties, and he still is quite popular here. My daughter and I went to see him perform a few years ago at an outdoor concert here in my little town. Great fun and great music.

Wow, Duane and HL together.

I saw HL back in the late 80's in Omaha. Big auditorium, HUGE sound that was perfect, and a performance that was outstanding for a sold out crowd.

Very tight band, catchy tunes, and just FUN music.

I really liked that night.

It was a total blast. Huey and his band are the greatest guys, and they were at the peak of their career...Hip to Be Square had just come out, the arenas were packed, and Tower of Power horns were along for the tour. Yikees!

The last night, in Tulsa, Duane had just started Peter Gunn, his last song. Steve Douglas was playing sax for him, so it really had the original sound happening. The crowd was just going crazy, and Duane was thinking, "Man, they are really happy out there!" Well, yeah, they were, because The Tower of Power had appeared out of nowhere and were rockin' along with Steve Douglas, with an added player...Huey Lewis is up on the high riser at the back of the stage, playing sax right along with them. Snuck on up there, and Duane had the best laugh seeing them all on stage with him.

I miss hearing fun records on the radio.

Fun music for sure Deed. It was "hip to be square" listening to "the News". Just a nice change of "let's just have some fun" music.

I just wish that Duane was with them that night.

I didn't get to see the show, but I met up with Duane in Albuquerque when he and Huey were playing the New Mexico State Fair. Duane introduced me to Steve Douglas and let me check out the tour bus, which was very impressive.

Huey Lewis was my first real concert in Chicago in probably 1984. Great show!

Huey Lewis was huge in Northern California in the late Eighties, and he still is quite popular here. My daughter and I went to see him perform a few years ago at an outdoor concert here in my little town. Great fun and great music.

– Ric12string

Does he still DJ for KFOG FM radio? Oh wait... maybe I'm thinking of Greg Kihn....

Saw Huey a couple of years ago. I was never really big on them when they were around, and listening to that Sports album (or pretty much anything with that 80's production) can be painful, but the songs are what they are, and the band is tight. Man, that guy can belt it out. Would've liked to have seen him with Duane Eddy, though, how awesome is that?

Ha! That's a great story, Deed.

That ole' discussion comes up now and then, of "what concerts did you miss for no reason at all other than stupid?"

1. Huey Lewis and the News: Sports
  2. etc.

Stupid.

Does he still DJ for KFOG FM radio? Oh wait... maybe I'm thinking of Greg Kihn....

– Hermitt

– Hermitt

Hermitt, it was Greg Kihn , and KFOX rather than KFOG. Greg was laid off this past September after being their morning guy for 16 years. Here's more details:

Dis-Kihn-ected

That sucks rotten eggs for sure, Parabar. Greg would spin some great tunes.

Register Sign in to join the conversation