Miscellaneous Rumbles

Sun Records

It's on CMT right after "Nashville". It's about Sam Phillips and the early days of Sun Records. Anyone watching it?

I'll have to wait a bit, but it's on my watch list.

Gretchen sighting! The guy playing in Ike Turner's band had a New Yorker. They showed how his Silvertone amp got a bullethole in it---which did "something" to the tone.

As an old sound guy, I'm enjoying all of the vintage equipment. They seem to be keeping things accurate.

I caught a few minutes the other night. Love the set decoration, clothes and gear but the show was just ok. YMMV of course

Chuck Mead is the supervisory guy in charge of authenticity...I'm not sure if that's his official title.

I figured that the show would have a soap opera quality to it, but the attention to detail is impressive.

I've watched the first 2 episodes. It would be nice to know how much liberties with the facts are being taken for the sake of entertainment.

I saw the trailer.

I can't watch any of these roots rock revivalist shows anymore. They started in the mid 80s. They come and they go. They always disappointed. Even that buddy holly movie with Gary busey was so historically inaccurate.

One the best was la bamba. Right guitars and a pretty good era efforts with gear.

For a roots rock snob as I am I can't take the inconsistency of any of these shows.

The old videos on you tube are the best.

The vinyl is even better.

Chuck Mead is the supervisory guy in charge of authenticity...I'm not sure if that's his official title.

– Deed Eddy

In movies and TV they call that position Continuity Director. Dunno if there is an equivalent title in the record biz.

I saw the trailer.

I can't watch any of these roots rock revivalist shows anymore. They started in the mid 80s. They come and they go. They always disappointed. Even that buddy holly movie with Gary busey was so historically inaccurate.

One the best was la bamba. Right guitars and a pretty good era efforts with gear.

For a roots rock snob as I am I can't take the inconsistency of any of these shows.

The old videos on you tube are the best.

The vinyl is even better.

– Gasmoney

I still haven't seen La Bamba!

My favorite is Great Balls of Fire, I think Quaid did an excellent job, and I've always had the biggest crush on Winona Ryder....

Walk The Line just didn't impress me much.

As for Sun Records, my DVR is recording it, the wife an I will get around to it. (No, we don't watch, and never even started watching, Nashville- too "Dynasty" right from the get-go.)

I was having a bit of fun about Chuck Mead. He is the Music Director on the mini series, Sun Records.

It's on CMT right after "Nashville". It's about Sam Phillips and the early days of Sun Records. Anyone watching it?

– wabash slim

I'm watching it, Gary and so far I like it. I don't know or really give much of a hoot about accuracy or authenticity if it is entertaining.

Book wise however, in an autobiography or biography of any famous or infamous person, that's where I really want the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

I was having a bit of fun about Chuck Mead. He is the Music Director on the mini series, Sun Records.

– Deed Eddy

Well, then you'd think the music is in good hands. He's a very cool guy.

sort of on the same topic, or close anyway : Peter Guralnick's recent Sam Philips biography is an excellent read.

ALL of Guralnick's stuff rocks. I'm reading the one now about Memphis/Stax/Muscle Shoals: "Sweet Soul Music"

Register Sign in to join the conversation