Duane Eddy's House of Twang

How to get close to that Duane Eddy twang

No one ever really gets close to Duane's unique sound , though many have tried to emulate and jump on the Eddy bandwagon ! When I first heard the early sixties , Ramrods " Ghost Riders In The Sky " rendition . - I thought I know who you have been studying , for your homework ! - - - Of course at a later time , Glen Campbell was out to impress Duane , hitting the right notes !

Pardon me ignorance....but what amp did Duane use for those late 50s/60s tunes?

Vince, Google "Duane Eddy Howard amps"...!

I was trying to find Duane’s SOUND and got about every Tremolo pedal that I could find but none could really do it right . And then in the bottom of my bag I found a pedal my friend had given me as a present. It was a Dan electro cool cat chorus. I hooked that into my Gretsch. And Voila !!!!! I found his exact sound. I called my friend and thanked him profusely for giving me that pedal that I have never tried before. Use it and you’re just about nail his sound. Oh I forgot to say I play it through my 1965 fender deluxe reverb reissue amplifier. The Dan electro chorus has a bit tremelo already but if I need to add some more I’ve got it in the fender amp But I find the pedal alone without using the amplifier tremolo has its own tremolo and sounds great.

Tommy Tedesco said that once he was talking to Duane and asked him, "Does anyone ever ask you to sound like me?"

Some of us fell for the unique Duane Eddy sound when we were still at school , me having been introduced to it by a cousin of mine , who gave me a couple of Duane's first singles ! - There had been many instrumental records before . But the Eddy sound captured my imagination & used pocket money to buy each new release , prior to starting work . Then because apprentice money , believe it or not was probably less than the price of his first albums . - Purchases took a little longer !

I've always just dropped the needle onto the vinyl, to get Duane's sound.

There are guys out there that are very good at emulating the touch of some artists. I'm still trying to sound like me.

Dweezil Zappa can do several artists sounds and pull it off very well.

I took a night and worked in JamUp Pro until I came it with something I felt comfortable for those big single notes, but the most helpful things were some tidbits mentioned from years ago that I remembered (or misremembered - either way, they helped):

1) Use the neck pickup 2) Pick close to the bridge

Here's what I came up with that I recorded for a short EP for my grandmother: Link

And I was aiming for a tone to match a mental image of Arizona: big and powerful, but lonely. I think that's the best tone ever. Duane's I mean, not mine.

– Pappy

The right hand technique is crucial for getting Duane’s sound. If I get right up to the bridge, it’s pretty close.

getting his feel is more important if you can get close to his sound, which probably isn't hard. But he's a minimalist, and that's hard to cop. I love his patience, he reminds me of the great jazz singer Shirley Horn in his feel. I haven't heard too many things of his that are real finger twisters, but you have have the coordination between the hands really down to phrase like he does.

I have to imagine that Duane broke up, because in interviews he was wide-ranging in his taste in guitar styles and probably very familiar with Tedesco's work. I worked with Tommy once as his stooge at a workshop in Boston, somebody told him I was good and he invited me to join him on stage, and wasted me at most things, especially reading, but he was funny and we had a good time.

Anybody here listening to Julian Lage on his Gretsch and later Collings Gretsch copy? Lots of colors and dynamics that really show up with that design and pickup choice. I'm new to Gretsch after a 50-year pro career, and I'm thrilled all over again.

Vince, Google "Duane Eddy Howard amps"...!

– WB

I guess I could Google 'how to get that Duane Eddy twang' too. Then there's be less people talking here

I guess I could Google 'how to get that Duane Eddy twang' too. Then there's be less people talking here

– Vince_Ray

Here is some info. I never heard of Howard amps before.

From the article he played -

"We all had these Magnatones with two 12" Jensens. They were about the best on the market at the time, unless you went for a really expensive amp, like the Standels that Chet used."

After that then went to Howard amps.

https://www.premierguitar.c...

Thanks polecats, that's the kinda thing! I was surprised that there's been little amp chat on the twangy topic. And the is easily as important as the guitar....in a way. Never heard of Howard amps, will check em out

Thanks polecats, that's the kinda thing! I was surprised that there's been little amp chat on the twangy topic. And the is easily as important as the guitar....in a way. Never heard of Howard amps, will check em out

– Vince_Ray

No problem Vince. True amps are the other half of the equation. Also I know there was mention of strings here but in many discussions on a guitarist sound people don't often mention strings. I think if Scotty Moore used flatwounds, which he did , that would make for part of his tone in a way rounds won't. So strings are part of it too.

Register Sign in to join the conversation