Duane Eddy's House of Twang

How to get close to that Duane Eddy twang

What pedals, effects, etc. do you use to get a Duane Eddy sound? I suppose a 6120 with DynaSonics for the guitar, but what effects and settings? Thanks.

Ingredients: 6120 (-ish sized Gretsch) with (vintage style) dynasonics, a mix of (analog) reverb and delay.

And you have to have a Duane Eddy handle on your Bigsby. This is crucial.

Forget it. No one but Duane can do it.

You can get close, and even fool some. The 6120 with dynas is a start, preferably the G6120DE. Then a good tremolo pedal that doesn't have the bump, more of a vocalist type vibrato/tremolo. Enough reverb to make it sound big. A powerful amp with a 15" speaker. Dial in a good crisp, clear tone and you will think you're there. That is until you go back and listen to Duane and then you realize it's not even close. Even if he lays down his guitar and you pick it up, there is still that elusive ingredient. It's in the heart and soul of the man, and his fingers.

But, we all try. We can't help it. Just prepare for disappointments.

Good luck.

on stage with him, but let him play

i want to point; is not the only one who is impossible to get their tone, Nobody can get the tone of another player even if it is a bad player

listen, practice, listen some more, practice some more, repeat. Don't stop until you think you have a good guess where in between notes he was breathing, so to speak. DE has a very unique touch and some very cool and unique ways of "rolling into a note". It's fairly easy to cop the notes, next to impossible to cop the attitude and sound, but you can get close-ish if you want it hard enough.

Single coil pickups, a Bigsby, tremolo and reverb do help.

GHS Big Core Nickel Rockers, a JBL D-130, and a Little Kahuna...and an XK-E.

– Billy Zoom

hahaha..yeah an old jag would be ok regardless

cheers

Forget it. No one but Duane can do it.

You can get close, and even fool some. The 6120 with dynas is a start, preferably the G6120DE. Then a good tremolo pedal that doesn't have the bump, more of a vocalist type vibrato/tremolo. Enough reverb to make it sound big. A powerful amp with a 15" speaker. Dial in a good crisp, clear tone and you will think you're there. That is until you go back and listen to Duane and then you realize it's not even close. Even if he lays down his guitar and you pick it up, there is still that elusive ingredient. It's in the heart and soul of the man, and his fingers.

But, we all try. We can't help it. Just prepare for disappointments.

Good luck.

– Richard Hudson

Indeed. There's a story about Duane visiting Friar Park. George had one of Duane's old 6120s on his wall. Duane pulled it down and plugged it in. And George asked: "How come it doesn't sound like that when I play it?"

Don't know if this is true, even partially. But even if apocryphal, it's a sound point. Not only in general, in that tone resides in hands as well as gear (something tells me if I sat down and worked at fingerstyle for a few decades and then tried to play through Richard's rig, not only would I not capture his phrasing precisely, but I'll bet the tone would be noticeably different as well), but plenty of legendary players with access to any and all equipment have marveled at Duane Eddy's tone.

Better to be inspired by it and to try to emulate aspects than bang your head against capturing it in a bottle.

You can't. Close but no way near. Even if I have his rig, I'll sound like a bad copy. There's something about the way he picks and wobble the Bigsby, his touch, very elegant and sophisticated.

I'm more pedestal and hardly educated.

Although I could never sound like Duane, I DID buy a Dunlop TS-1 Tremolo pedal because (at least at one point) he used one.

I hope my sarcastic remarks didn't scare off the OP. But Bobby Bare said what everyone dreams. "Buy you a guitar and put it in tune. You'll be rockin' and rollin' soon."

My friend, Audie Wykle, had a rather humorous parody.

According to Audie: A Hispanic fellow came up to me and said, "You sound like Chet." I said, "Why, thank you pard. That's a real compliment. Chet is my hero." He said, "No. I mean you sound like Chet. Like a buffalo chip."

– Billy Zoom

I thought Duane used GHS Boomers

Although I could never sound like Duane, I DID buy a Dunlop TS-1 Tremolo pedal because (at least at one point) he used one.

– Mark Nason

I picked up a used TS-1 a few months ago too. Very good tremolo. Here's a photo of DE laying down a track on the late Jack Clement's album. The TS-1 is right beside him.

There was a thread on here several years ago when Duane, Richard, and Proteus went to Bear's house to visit, they all played Duane's guitar at one time or another that afternoon and none could make it sound like the master of twang. It is in his hands, fingers and soul!

What Walter and others said, it's in the fingers. Duane has a very unique touch. I had the privilege to watch him play a little bit of the intro to "Rebel Rouser" up close one time —  he got that distinctive tone just by using his DE Signature model, a trem pedal, and as I recall a pretty small amp. I remember noticing that special factor — what Walter describes as rolling into the note, which is an apt way of putting it.

Yep, GHS Boomers.

May I just say here that you are all the greatest.

Other than the above, neck pickup, no roll off on any tone controls.

Just remember, you're only obligation is to sound good.

Lee

I won't repeat the numerous accurate assessments posted above, but, I would say that, if you want to get into the same tonal neighborhood as where Duane resides, using a cabinet with a 15" speaker will start the journey. But, there are so very many other variable factors, some of which are exclusive to the man himself, that you can only hope to get in the general neighborhood; forget about trying to occupy the same house.

What strings did Duane use in 1960?

Gretsch Chet Atkins strings, medium guage. In the round, plastic box.

A good example of the proposition that a major portion of any particular player's "tone" is a function of the player themselves. Things like fretting technique and pick attack remain the hardest thing to duplicate, even when all the gear involved is equal, and are a major component in any particular artist's tone.

When I try to sound like Duane, I sound like me trying to sound like Duane.

Register Sign in to join the conversation