Duane Eddy's House of Twang

Gretsch Limited Edition G6120 Duane Eddy Signature Hollowbody with …

Greg Koch is an incredible player and certainly gives this beautiful guitar a workout.

However, am I the only one who starts to glaze over when someone doing a video review fires up whatever the distortion pedal of the week is? Yeah, I get that that's how a ton of players are going to be using their guitar. But, my pea sized brain says "Just let me hear a clean sample of how it sounds with all the possible pickup combinations." I'm reasonably sure that if I use a pedal that's supposed to give me a distorted sound, the guitar will sound distorted.

So, unless you're showing me how a specific pedal works and sounds, just let me hear the guitar ... clean.

I'm probably REALLY in the minority on this one ... but, I think I can live with that.

Having said all that, I still think Greg is a great player and I know he was playing a GREAT guitar.

Yep tend to agree although Tony I think on one of his reviews I did see something regarding set up, amp, pedals etc, not sure as some time ago.He is a great player and before he gets overdriven he shows the DE off very well in terms of Twang, Jazzy and the Chet thing.I had a look at one of these black 6120 DE when they were first released. I love the black and vintage cream binding etc, looks really classy with the signature finger plate. The only aspect to me that looked a bit odd was the whiteness of the inlays, maybe would have been better with a more aged look apart from that super guitar..

I don't think he used too much dirt, IMO. He demonstrated the clean tones for each pickup. The latter part of the video it seems that he backed off on the grit a bit. Still distorted but not as much. Gave me a great idea of how much those Dyna's RAWK! Damn, he's a player.

Greg Koch is a nice fella and can play the guitar up down and sideways...but. This is a Duane Eddy model. Come on.. Its like that Greg's Guitars bloke demo'ing a Setzer Hotrod. Good lordy he sucked all the rockabilly mojo out of that guitar like nothing I've ever seen.

Greg Koch is a nice fella and can play the guitar up down and sideways...but. This is a Duane Eddy model. Come on.. Its like that Greg's Guitars bloke demo'ing a Setzer Hotrod. Good lordy he sucked all the rockabilly mojo out of that guitar like nothing I've ever seen.

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™

I totally hear you on that one. But, in their defense, each one is really playing with me because in their own signature way. Greg Koch Please guitar the same way… Regardless of the make or model.

I guess it also shows that a guitar can play any dam thing"" as he says in the hands of a great player, lots of guys out there searching for that elusive tone of there ikons .

Register Sign in to join the conversation