Duane Eddy's House of Twang

Gibson DE model

The Gibson has Duncan pickups.

Nice looking guitar CBell!!

– WB

Oops. I misread the OP and thought the guitar was from 1975, not one of 75.

The Gibson DEs were all Custom Shop builds.

They are wonderful guitars with killer looks. Not so sure about the active pickups but Duane knows best and you can turn it off anyway.

Absolutely fabulous looking guitar with amazing figuring and what looks like a walnut finish, classy and as has been reported a unique run, interesting about the piezo pick up, I remember reading about it, I have a Yamaha Martin Taylor guitar which has a incredibly complicated combination, the Gibson DE sounds far simpler.Gretsch, Guild, Gretsch, Gibson and back to Gretsch, nice Road Trip.

Absolutely fabulous looking guitar with amazing figuring and what looks like a walnut finish, classy and as has been reported a unique run, interesting about the piezo pick up, I remember reading about it, I have a Yamaha Martin Taylor guitar which has a incredibly complicated combination, the Gibson DE sounds far simpler.Gretsch, Guild, Gretsch, Gibson and back to Gretsch, nice Road Trip.

– rodney wylie

Not related to the topic at all, but I had to read Yamaha Martin Taylor a couple of times before I realized it wasn't just three guitars in a row.

I guess if your name is Martin Taylor, you really should play guitar.

OK, I'm done. Carry on....

Anders

Yep it's always a problem especially when you do search on eBay! Far easier for a Gibson or Gretsch DE always a direct hit!

What are the differences between the two types of pickups that this model apparently came with? One looks similar to a Gibson pickup but with the solitary row of screws in the center, not off to one side. The other style are the ones on Cam's guitar shown above that look like original DeArmonds.

Can't find any documentation on the others but it looks like a Duncan Phat Cat P90. But I think I've seen that type of pickup on other Gibsons as well. The pickups on mine are Custom wound Duncans, I assume the custom part was to make them active.

With Duane giving this model two thumbs up and saying in the video that it has his sound, can we assume it has a Gretschy sound to it?

What are the differences between the two types of pickups that this model apparently came with? One looks similar to a Gibson pickup but with the solitary row of screws in the center, not off to one side. The other style are the ones on Cam's guitar shown above that look like original DeArmonds.

– Windsordave

The description in the ad where I found this picture just says "Duane Eddy custom single coil pickups". I actually never saw one with DeArmonds, so I always thought they were a variation of a P90 or something other Gibson-y...

BTW, beautiful guitar, CBell.

Anders

For a reason unknown, the above ad photo was taken using a stock Gibson pickup, prior to the final pickups being made available. Gibson was in a hurry to market the guitar, not Duane's decision, to be sure.

As to the piezo-dead battery-no pickups will work situation, that was a big surprise for Duane to hear that. Thanks, Cam. The piezo was a suggestion that sounded quite interesting at the time but never really got much use, to be honest.

It is a beautiful guitar.

gibson p94 pickup...it's a p90 style wind in a humbucker sized shelll

just because the duncan dynasonics run through the piezo system doesnt make them active...in fact lr baggs literature (i posted above) states just the opposite...

i'd also think that by turning off the piezo via the push/pull pot would allow the dynas to work w/o battery...unles as mentioned above it was wired to the piezo board incorrectly

lastly, anything not mass produced in the seymour duncan line is labeled as custom...that includes many of their cooler pickups like the staples, franz type pups etc

cheers

Thanks for posting Cam as that really is a beautiful looking guitar and bet it sounds great with the special wired Duncans. I also really like the he 3" depth on a 16" bout guitar. Very different but bet it can really growl when needed to.

Congratulation on getting this very special guitar......certainly a winner!!!

For a reason unknown, the above ad photo was taken using a stock Gibson pickup, prior to the final pickups being made available. Gibson was in a hurry to market the guitar, not Duane's decision, to be sure.

As to the piezo-dead battery-no pickups will work situation, that was a big surprise for Duane to hear that. Thanks, Cam. The piezo was a suggestion that sounded quite interesting at the time but never really got much use, to be honest.

It is a beautiful guitar.

– Deed Eddy

I discovered it the silly way, my battery had died! There was a period of time where the piezo option was popular but as we all know never quite caught on.

Bill Light took it for a spin at his open mic night last night. An amazing guitar built for an even more amazing person.

A little Rebel Rouser and Red Hott!! That is some killer Guitar

(BTW Rebel Rouser is short because I completely butchered the rest of it. Sorry Duane) D'oh!!

This piezo sure appears to add a level of complexity to the wiring and playing of the guitar. Having to have a battery installed to use the regular pickups is a pain. This means it's wired in series and not in parallel. How would you like to be doing a gig and the battery dies.....you're completely dead, right?

If some day the money appears for one of these and I'm lucky enough to find one at a reasonable price and it has the style pickups shown in Cam's pics above, not the other style I see in other pics online, that piezo system would be coming out. As I mentioned in the other thread following Cam showing us this great guitar of his, if this gadget system had any legs, we'd have seen it in other guitars by now, no???

– Windsordave

We've actually seen it in guitars now for at least 30 years and it's still going strong, albeit in a different genre (metal). Active pickups are loved for their preciseness and tone and the batteries last a while - usually you just have to remember to unplug your guitar when you're done playing.

I think the Gibson DE is the coolest Gibson out there. When it first came out, I thought that they had taken a 6120 and really elevated it. I do wish they hadn't been a limited run, and that they were more affordable, but I also really wish Gibson had pushed it a little more because ignorance to the model isn't rare and that's a shame because the guitar is cool and Duane's the man. The more people that get familiar with him, the better.

We've actually seen it in guitars now for at least 30 years and it's still going strong, albeit in a different genre (metal).

If it's in Fenders, I wouldn't know about it as I have no interest in any guitar they make. Amps on the other hand, are a different story! Which Gretsch guitars have this system in them??

I have a Gibson Country Gent and being designed entirely by Chet, is basically a Gretsch Country Gent with Gibson pickups......and no piezo system in it. Is this system in the usual Gibson offerings?

I was talking about active pickups, not piezos. Piezos have been used for a long time as well by various companies because players want the versatility of getting acoustic-like sounds from their electric, cutting down on the amount of gear they need to transport and making gigs easier. I've seen at least one 5120 modified to include one (with great results).

Okay, I understand your point. I have Chet's prototype Super Axe and it has the onboard effects and it needs a 9V battery for these, but it's also wired in series with the pups so when the battery goes dead, everything dies, not just the effects feature.

Well, the current crop of Gretsches don't require a 9V battery for active pups so it's a concept that Gretsch doesn't feel it needs; and their research the past number of years since Fender came onboard has been fairly intense.

If I run across one of these guitars I'll be most interested in hearing the difference in sound with the system on vs off.

As a side note, those that like this guitar and wish they could find one, wait a few more months when the next gen DE models appear......and this time they're Gretsches!

Hi... I have one of the Gibson Duane Eddy guitars. Absolutely beautiful to play and a truly gorgeous sound. But i did not know it had a battery when I bought it. I also did not know if the battery died the whole guitar died. Which is what happened one day in a recording sesssion. I thought something was wrong with the guitar. So I took it back to the shop. Oh you need a new battery they said. Battery?.. Nothing I had read about the guitar before I bought it said "battery" , i was pretty miffed. "You sold me a battery powered guitar ??? " I said. Hmmmp. It is a design decision that I totally do not understand. What crazy thinking went on? Other than that i have not played anything that comes near this guitar.. Well basically because I haven't wanted to. The quality of work, wood, pick ups etc.. Fantastic. But a battery? So I stockpiled. Hope they keep making them ( the battery) .. Not sure how to reconfigure the guitar if they stop..if it can be done,, the benefits of the piezo are really quite small compared to the tone of the custom Seymour Duncans it came with. Well i think so. Brilliant guitar. But damn.

Register Sign in to join the conversation