Duane Eddy's House of Twang

Gibson DE model

Picking up from another thread so this gets its own space. It's a Gibson DE model from a single batch of 75. This is #36.

Wow. I don't think I knew these existed. Beautiful. And it shows that the original run of Rowe Industry DeArmonds went well beyond the 1960s. I've seen an ad from the '80s and they were still making them.

That is a handsome instrument, sir!

Wow. I don't think I knew these existed. Beautiful. And it shows that the original run of Rowe Industry DeArmonds went well beyond the 1960s. I've seen an ad from the '80s and they were still making them.

– Afire

The Gibson has Duncan pickups.

Nice looking guitar CBell!!

I love the look of the DE Gibson but wish it was more affordably priced. The equally short-lived Gibson Chet models can be found for a decent deal but the DE Gibsons are WAY out of my budget.

Were it mine, I would change the knobs and remove the pickguard...and it would be PERFECT!

Lovely guitar those,i always liked the red one Duane played.

I copied this from another thread. They only made 75 I think, I have #36. It's a 3" deep body and a 16" lower bout on a 24-3/4 scale. It really is a great guitar. The only odd thing about it (aside from the knobs) is that it has a piezo pickup in the bridge. The magnetic pickups are custom wound active Duncans. I hate counting little lines so I took a shot of the neck. To me, it's a little darker 6120 with the wrong headstock.

Additional shots.

One of the back

Nice stinger.

Wow, that guitar is perfect. I could be very happy with that in my collection. Congrats!

And where it now resides...

– Deed Eddy

thats a great pic!..always liked the duane guild too!

cheers

ps- that's a nice gibson..tho the duncan dynas wouldn't be "active"..that would require battery power

Beautiful guitar. How would describe the pickups as compared to say modern Dynasonics or TV Jones T-Armonds?

thats a great pic!..always liked the duane guild too!

cheers

ps- that's a nice gibson..tho the duncan dynas wouldn't be "active"..that would require battery power

– neatone

There is a piezo in the bridge and the Duncans are active. The piezo is activated via push/pull pot and can be blended in with the magnetic pickups. It also adds volume boost.

Gibson Duane Eddy model delivers signature 'twang' plus new sounds

Gibson's Custom, Art & Historic division pays tribute to the master of the "twang" electric guitar style with the Duane Eddy Signature model. Eddy, known for his instrumental "Rebel Rouser" theme, had 15 Top Forty hits between 1958 and 1963 and was the first rocker to have a signature guitar.

Eddy's new Gibson model has a traditional archtop hollowbody design but with many unique features, including a maple top and a combination of magnetic and piezo pickups.

"This is the guitar I've dreamed of," Eddy said. "I can get my original sound, and it gives me options for a whole new world of sounds to explore."

The Duane Eddy Signature model has highly figured maple top, back and sides. The body has the familiar shape of Gibson's classic L-5 model, with a rounded "Venetian" cutaway horn, but at 16 inches wide, it is an inch smaller than the L-5 and unique in the Gibson line. Two single-coil pickups, custom-designed to Eddy's specs by pickup guru Seymour Duncan, produce a deep, clear voice, perfect for drenching in reverb. An additional L.R. Baggs transducer pickup in the bridge provides pure acoustic tone. The custom-designed controls allow the guitar to be played with a blend of the transducer and magnetic pickups.

Other unique appointments include a maple/walnut slim neck with ebony fingerboard, pearl "moustache" fingerboard inlays, "Duane Eddy" engraved pickguard, nickel-plated hardware and a Bigsby vibrola tailpiece. The guitar comes in a rockabilly brown finish. MSRP: $6,154

cheers

just for info sake

where is the battery located??

im seein this lr baggs info-

Control-X PreampControl-X Electric Acoustic Preamp

Advantages of Ctrl-X:

• Magnetic pickups remain passive at all times. Even when mixed with the active X-Bridge signal, your stock magnetics are unchanged.

The Ctrl-X onboard preamp combines traditional passive magnetics with piezo bridge pickups for immediate and effortless versatility. With the Ctrl-X, you can mix an acoustic piezo signal with your magnetic pickups without active circuitry ruining the sound of your magnetics. Choose between magnetic pickups, magnetic/piezo blend or piezo pickups only with the flick of a switch.

cheers

........ and then Duane came home to Gretsch !!

........ and then Duane came home to Gretsch !!

– lesdk

right back where he started from..i felt kinda weird posting, but good info nevertheless

cheers

Battery access is just above the side input jack. The magnetic pickups on this guitar do not work without a working battery loaded.

This piezo sure appears to add a level of complexity to the wiring and playing of the guitar. Having to have a battery installed to use the regular pickups is a pain. This means it's wired in series and not in parallel. How would you like to be doing a gig and the battery dies.....you're completely dead, right?

If some day the money appears for one of these and I'm lucky enough to find one at a reasonable price and it has the style pickups shown in Cam's pics above, not the other style I see in other pics online, that piezo system would be coming out. As I mentioned in the other thread following Cam showing us this great guitar of his, if this gadget system had any legs, we'd have seen it in other guitars by now, no???

I love the look of the DE Gibson but wish it was more affordably priced. The equally short-lived Gibson Chet models can be found for a decent deal but the DE Gibsons are WAY out of my budget.

– Mark Nason

This limited [to 75] guitars had a very short run but the Chet Atkiins Country Gent didn't.....it had quite a long run actually. Production began around '87/'88 and had weight balance issues and the weird square red block fret markers. These issues were corrected 'round about '93 and aside from adding an orange variety, stayed the same until production ceased around '03-'06 (finding out when production finally ceased seems an impossible task! - Chet's estate and non-renewing endorsement contract issues)

It's kind of a shame the Gents didn't catch on amongst Chet followers as it's in incredible playing guitar, and of super high quality build standards. I'm assuming these high standards apply to the DE model, especially in light of the fact there was such a limited number made. Regardless, I wouldn't pay the price they're asking on eBay right now for one though.

Cam - Your guitar is GORGEOUS!!.... Spectacular!!!

Register Sign in to join the conversation