Duane Eddy's House of Twang

From the Glory Days of Rock and Roll

I came across this photo and couldn't believe my eyes. I know that The Crickets backed The Everly Brothers after Buddy passed away...but here they all are together, in June 1958. Joe B Mauldin on bass, Jerry Alison is back there on drums, and that is most definitely Buddy Holly!

I believe this was in Florida, you can see Bill Haley's drums, and also The Royal Teens' drums. A big package show, anyone here know of someone who might have seen this tour?

Awesome pic, Deed! Thanks for sharing.

This looks like it was taken during the "Big Gold Record Stars" tour of February 1958. The tour had Buddy Holly & The Crickets, The Everly Brothers, Bill Haley and The Comets, Jimmie Rodgers, Jerry Lee Lewis and The Royal Teens and ran from Feb 20th to Feb 25th. The shows were in Tampa, Orlando, Miami, Jacksonville and Fort Lauderdale.

I wonder if the June 1958 date on the photo is the date the photo was printed rather than the date the photo was actually taken?

I think that's most likely, NG. I have never seen anything like this, there are so few personal photos around. There are lots of pics of The Everlys when The Crickets (after Buddy) were their backing group, but nothing like this. I wish I could give a photo credit, unfortunately there was none listed.

Duane first toured with The Everlys later in the fall of '58.

That is an incredible photo to find. Amazing. Buddy looking super cool there.

Here's a concert poster that was posted on Facebook by Tom Austin, founder member and drummer in The Royal Teens. Interesting that this isn't a "Big Gold Record Stars" poster and that the dates are Feb 18th thru' 25th.

Deed , are there any photos of Duane from the very early package tour days , hitherto unseen by us ? - Just gathering dust in your attic !

Hmmm, I'll have to climb up and have a look around. : )

WOW....!! I missed all this stuff even though I was (1) 16 years old and (2) playing electric guitar with a R&R band and (3) a Buddy Holly, Everly Brothers, Bill Haley and Duane Eddy fan!

This might be from the same time frame.

That 7-UP bottle brings back memories.

Nice find Deed! Here is another one from the same stage. I remember when this photo surfaced maybe 10 years ago on Ebay. The lady that had taken the picture also had a cigarette(!) signed by Buddy for sale.

This might be from the same time frame.

That 7-UP bottle brings back memories.

– Tony

I 'colourised' some old black and white photographs of Buddy - hope folk like this one of him and the guys.

Thanks for sharing Deed. I love history and rock 'n roll but a rare gem like this is a treat.

This looks like it was taken during the "Big Gold Record Stars" tour of February 1958. The tour had Buddy Holly & The Crickets, The Everly Brothers, Bill Haley and The Comets, Jimmie Rodgers, Jerry Lee Lewis and The Royal Teens and ran from Feb 20th to Feb 25th. The shows were in Tampa, Orlando, Miami, Jacksonville and Fort Lauderdale.

I wonder if the June 1958 date on the photo is the date the photo was printed rather than the date the photo was actually taken?

– NitroG

I don't know of any cameras in 1958 that were capable of marking the date on which a photo was taken, so the June date almost certainly is the date that the print was made.

In those days it wasn't unusual for a photo hobbyist (as opposed to a professional) to wait for several months to get a roll of film processed. Film was relatively expensive, and if I had a 36-frame roll of film in my camera I would use it all up before having the roll developed.

My favourite photograph of Buddy with J I, Don and Phil.

Register Sign in to join the conversation