Duane Eddy's House of Twang

Duane’s Six String Bass Not In New Catalog?

OK, I don't mean to be nit picky ... BUT ...

I just got my hands on a copy of the terrific new 2019 Gretsch catalog and, while I'm loving it, I'm surprised and disappointed to find that Duane's six string bass is nowhere to be found. I'm reasonably sure I've looked at all 148 pages. Am I missing something?

Also, while Duane's signature guitar is featured, it's only shown in one color. It's beautiful, of course, but is Desert Sunrise now the only color offered?

I noticed that as well. If it's a low request item, maybe explains it being MIA. It's on their website however. I think they did a knock-out job on the new catalogue but some models may have not made the cut:

https://www.gretschguitars....

I think it's a kick-ass bass and would love to have one but it's cost prohibitive. (for me) I saw that most of the Penguins were missing as well.

Let the company know that it is definitely missed. And thank you.

I noticed that today as well. I thought it mysterious.

And also, selfishly, that the spec list for the 6120DE no longer mentions Tru-Arc - just that it has a rocking bar bridge. I thought maybe Duane or Gretsch was mad at me and I didn't know it. But Terada just ordered a bunch, which I assume is for the DE. (That, or they're going on other guitars I don't know about.)

I kinda miss its being in print, as it was going to be one way to prove I exist.

It's on the Website...

I still remember the picture of all those pickguards being signed!

I wonder if Joe is listening....???

I'll drop him a note, just in case.

From Joe C:

The reason why the Duane Eddy 6-String Bass was not included in the catalog was due to its “limited production” status. Yes, indeed! The instrument is way beyond cool! Had the opportunity to hear Duane perform LIVE with his twice and it sounded AMAZING!

All the best,

Joe

Guess that explains it, and maybe one or two others that didn't find their way in.

I noticed that today as well. I thought it mysterious.

And also, selfishly, that the spec list for the 6120DE no longer mentions Tru-Arc - just that it has a rocking bar bridge. I thought maybe Duane or Gretsch was mad at me and I didn't know it. But Terada just ordered a bunch, which I assume is for the DE. (That, or they're going on other guitars I don't know about.)

I kinda miss its being in print, as it was going to be one way to prove I exist.

– Proteus

Again, that needs attention. I don’t know who is editing this, but it sure should not go without mentioning. I’m really sorry, Tim.

Oh, no apology necessary. It's apparently just one of those things.

I thought the DE B6 had sold well, though; it seems odd it wouldn't go on being a catalog item.

Of course I'm not privy to the numbers, but I can't imagine the Stills or Bono Falcons sell in much quantity. I suppose it's easy to keep them on the books, because they're just variations on a theme that has so many variations already.

But the 6-string bass was unique in the line, and a product well worth having. They're just so cool.

Register Sign in to join the conversation