Duane Eddy's House of Twang

Duane’s Original 6120 has left home…

Awesome, i'm sure it must be bitter sweet for Duane though! Anybody that holds on to an instrument that long deffinatley has a bond with it.

He's getting it back, right? I would rather hear Duane Eddy's guitar being played by him than just viewing it in a museum. This is a great honor though.

Deed, many thanks for the great photo & the link to the article. It seems neat that the guitar should be on display just a couple of miles from where it made history in Duane's hands - talk about "Circles", but I wonder how many miles that guitar has travelled in between?

Cool! I may be in Phoenix in a few months; I know where I'll be stopping if I do.

Duane is loaning his guitar to The MIM, and it will be displayed in The Artist's Gallery.

A great bunch of people there, and the collection of instruments from every corner of the world is quite amazing. They do have another item in their collection that has a very direct connection to Duane and his career, but I can't show it to you until the exhibit opens in a few weeks time. It is the coolest! ;-)

That is a very fine and fitting tribute to Duane. The good news is that tons of fans will now be able to see THE guitar "up close".

On the other hand (the "bad news") -- it has to be difficult to part with something that has been so close and important in one's life..... Kind of like sending your kid(s) off to college... (I've done that 4 times, so I know that feeling!)

That's quite awesome, Deed. Congrats to Duane!

Great story, Deed and congratulations to Duane.

Make sure that guitar is guarded day & night!

Very cool of Duane to do this. We wouldn't have museums where we could view artifacts of a person's life unless that person is willing to share the artifact with the public through a museum.

And, I doubt that Duane will be missing his #1 Gretsch; he probably has a few other Gretsch 6120's at his house -- perhaps even a signature model or two -- that he can play during #1's absence.

The guitar that I would like to see is the double-neck 6-string guitar and 6-string bass guitar by Howtronics. Are there any photos of that one anywhere, Deed?

Duane is loaning his guitar to The MIM, and it will be displayed in The Artist's Gallery.

A great bunch of people there, and the collection of instruments from every corner of the world is quite amazing. They do have another item in their collection that has a very direct connection to Duane and his career, but I can't show it to you until the exhibit opens in a few weeks time. It is the coolest! ;-)

– Deed Eddy

– Deed Eddy

The water tank...?

Thanks Deed for another great article featuring Duane. That guitar has been heard for years; now a lot of folks will actually get to see it.

Made by Tom Howard McCormick, who also built Duane's custom amps. The guitar features the name Howard on the headstock, rather than Howtronics, which I believe was the name of Tom's company.

Now, if that ain't the absolute coolest photo yet that I have seen of Duane. The coolness quotient on that photo is pretty doggone high!

Pretty bad, huh? Have to agree with you on that one, Mr R12.

If you look closely at the fat E string, you can see it twang a little...

Just goes to show that he's a living legend. Thanks for sharing, Miss Deed.

Now that IS special. Thank you for letting us know Deed.

Register Sign in to join the conversation