Duane Eddy's House of Twang

Duane’s 1960 UK Tour

I believe Deed has posted images from this tour before, but these tour programs are so cool they deserve a second viewing.

...and what a line up! Duane Eddy, Bobby Darin, Clyde McPhatter with UK stars Emile Ford and The Checkmates and Bob Miller & His Millermen.

The first half of 1960 must have been a dream come true for UK fans of US Rock 'n' Roll stars.

Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, The Everly Brothers, Duane Eddy, The Crickets, The Platters, Bobby Darin, Clyde McPhatter, Johnny Preston, Freddy Cannon, and Conway Twitty all toured.

Not to mention the fabulous UK stars...Cliff Richard, Lonnie Donegan, Adam Faith, Billy Fury, Joe Brown, Vince Eager, Emile Ford and Marty Wilde were all busy touring during that spell also.

The first half of 1960 must have been a dream come true for UK fans of US Rock 'n' Roll stars.

Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, The Everly Brothers, Duane Eddy, The Crickets, The Platters, Bobby Darin, Clyde McPhatter, Johnny Preston, Freddy Cannon, and Conway Twitty all toured.

Not to mention the fabulous UK stars...Cliff Richard, Lonnie Donegan, Adam Faith, Billy Fury, Joe Brown, Vince Eager, Emile Ford and Marty Wilde were all busy touring during that spell also.

– Wheelgrinder

Duane meet Eddie Cochran during this tour. And the Everly Brothers going to the St Martin Hospital after Eddie's car crash

Billboard - March 21, 1960.

Billboard - April 25, 1960.

I believe Deed has posted images from this tour before, but these tour programs are so cool they deserve a second viewing.

– Wheelgrinder

Duane was such a resounding success he was asked to headline his own tour when the Bobby Darin/Clyde McPhatter tour ended. This programme is from that tour.The support acts included singers Kathy Kirby and Frank Ifield plus dancers Flack and Lamaar plus 'musical novelty' act Tommy Wallis. Also The Four Playboys, a four piece music group. The compere was a young Des O'Connor who had compered the Buddy Holly tour a couple of years previously. The effect Duane's music had on the UK audience cannot be underestimated. Prices for the show at the Liverpool Empire were 4 shillings, 6 shillings and 7 shillings and six pence !

Wasn't in confirmed that a young Paul McCartney and George Harrison were in the audience for one of these shows?

Wasn't in confirmed that a young Paul McCartney and George Harrison were in the audience for one of these shows?

– DCBirdMan

they wre in the audience for the Eddie Cochran and Gene Vincent tour.

Duane headlined a week at the Liverpool Empire theater after the tour with Bobby Darin ended. Today, that would be called a “residency”.

Twenty seven years later, George Harrison told me that he “and the lads” waited outside the Adelphi Hotel, in Liverpool, hoping to see Duane and the band. He explained that there was no way they could go inside, as it was a proper posh place and they didn’t have the kind of clothes that were acceptable in that hotel. They definitely all went to the Empire shows. I have heard a number of times that those shows were George’s first exposure to Chet, when Duane introduced Trambone as a song by Chet Atkins.

Ringo later told us that “we were all at The Albert Hall” in 1968 to see Duane and Bill Haley.

Great memories Deed - here's a photo from that tour. You were at The Adelphi again in 1991 and after the show Denis Solee went to the bar to get some drinks for the band and I went with him to help and came in useful because Denis asked the barman if it would be possible to open the windows as it was very warm, and he didn't quite understand the reply which was that they couldn't open the windows because folks from outside would start to climb in!

With renewed interest in Duane's UK tours you can download the Illustrated Duane Eddy UK Tours 1960-2017 as a pdf using the link on the home page of the Circle website. This is available for one week only.

Another UK Tour Photo.

When Road Trip was released in 2011, an article in Scotland's "Sunday Post" (or maybe it was the "People's Friend"??) included a memory from a then school girl from Glasgow who sneaked time off from her classes to see Duane because she had won a competition to meet Duane & Bobby in person - and she still remembered it 50 years later.

I remember the talk at school was very much about the concert at Birmingham Hippodrome . Well certainly in the final year classes . Great stars in the concert , but only one name seemed to come up - Duane Eddy !! - A lad I grew up with in our avenue , never commented that much on the music . - He did say what a good looking chap Duane is ! - In later years when Emile Ford appeared at a Warwick working men's club . I was able to talk to him about the 1960 tour , that was obviously still fresh in his mind !

Register Sign in to join the conversation