Duane Eddy's House of Twang

Duane plays a rare bird in Savannah

While visiting Savannah over the past week, Fred shared this rare Martin/Bigsby guitar with Duane. A collaboration that was limited to 100 pieces, this is an exact reproduction of Merle Travis's 1938 Martin, with a neck supplied by Paul Bigsby.

Duane said it played like a dream, and I can tell you it has a gorgeous, big, full sound.

There is a serial number card inside signed by Fred Gretsch, C.F. Martin IV, and Thom Bresh, the son of Merle Travis.

The guitar looks brand new in the picture. Nice hat, Duane.

Thanks for the picture Deed.

Wow. I didn't know there was more than one. What else does Fred have stashed away? Here's a clip from From Here To Eternity of Merle playing Re-Enlistment Blues, where I first saw this. Better shot of him playing Midnight Special -- in living color.

I Agee with JW. Thanks Deed.

Stunner ! Thanks for posting, Deed.

Fabulous photo - Can I sense a " Songs of Our Heritage Revisited " coming on ? - The guitar and Duane look ready to go down that road !!

That's very special. So cool! Love the pic. Duane looks very happy.

Just to clarify, this beautiful guitar is part of The Gretsch Foundation Collection. Fred very kindly brought it to the hotel so Duane would have a guitar to play during our stay.

That's so very cool! Thank you for sharing!

Just to clarify, this beautiful guitar is part of The Gretsch Foundation Collection. Fred very kindly brought it to the hotel so Duane would have a guitar to play during our stay.

– Deed Eddy

That's a pretty unique "lowner". Mr. Fred has class.

Wow!! Gorgeous and bucket list material!!

Thanks Deed!

Register Sign in to join the conversation