Miscellaneous Rumbles

Do You Mod Your Cases?

There was a guy here a few years back who did a wonderful job modding his Gretsch case with gold-piping. George Harrison may have the most famous Gretsch guitar in history, but the notoriety of George's guitar pales in comparison to the fame of that gold-piping Gretsch case. No other case has ever been so talked about in music history. And all it took was $3.50 worth of gold-piping.

I digress. Most people have modded their guitars, but have you ever taken time to mod your case? I've done it a number of times.

First, I love the name of the guitar on the case so I made stencils and painted HOFNER on them:

Second, I got a white case for my White Falcon and placed a Gretsch gold badge on the outside and made myself a nice GRETSCH silk Gretsch banner for the case's interior:

Third, I can not stand guitar cases with open bays. Who wants to open a case and see junk? So I made bay covers for my Rickenbacker case. Look at the before and after pics:

Blinged out cases just scream, " Steal Me First!" If you're doing an open mike or battle of the bands, you should have someone guard your gear. I can understand being proud of your gear, but I don't shout it from the rooftops, either. I've had some sketchy neighbors, and I won't play too loudly just so they don't know what I have inside the house.

To me, cases are meant to take damage so my guitar doesn't. I'll mark the on the outside so I can tell which one's mine. Having worked as a stagehand for years, I guarantee that cases DO get trashed on the road in the back of semis or the cargo holds on busses---battle scars of road warriors.

Still, YMMV. They're your cases, do with them what you will.

Nope, too busy playing guitar.

Hi Spiritwalker. How are you? You seem to be seeking some attention. I don't mod cases. I see no reason to. But if you want gold piping on your case, on your guitar, on your strap, on your pick, or on your underwear, I have no opinion on that. I hope whatever you do with your cases brings you some form of pleasure or fulfills some need for you.

Maybe you are looking for someone to tell you it's silly so you can tangle. I don't realy get it. But lots of things I don't get don't strike me as wrong or odd or silly, just something different. Perhaps you want me to be open to being persuaded this is a worthwhile thing to spend time on. If so, please do post your rationale and let me know if you seek a response.

Blinged out cases just scream, " Steal Me First!" If you're doing an open mike or battle of the bands, you should have someone guard your gear. I can understand being proud of your gear, but I don't shout it from the rooftops, either. I've had some sketchy neighbors, and I won't play too loudly just so they don't know what I have inside the house.

To me, cases are meant to take damage so my guitar doesn't. I'll mark the on the outside so I can tell which one's mine. Having worked as a stagehand for years, I guarantee that cases DO get trashed on the road in the back of semis or the cargo holds on busses---battle scars of road warriors.

Still, YMMV. They're your cases, do with them what you will.

– wabash slim

case

You'll certainly know which ones are yours. Nicely done.

C'mon guys. Why would we go praising Voodooholly for sharing his thread on modding his case and then give Ole Spiritwalker a hard time for doing the same? For each his own, I say.

Do I mod my cases? Sure do! I wear out latches, lose handles, nick and tear Tolex

You'll certainly know which ones are yours. Nicely done.

C'mon guys. Why would we go praising Voodooholly for sharing his thread on modding his case and then give Ole Spiritwalker a hard time for doing the same? For each his own, I say.

– Suprdave

He asked and polite as I am, I answered

He asked and polite as I am, I answered

– Voodooholly

Yes, you followed the simple protocol of being a fine human being. Wish others would do the same.

I like what you did with your Rickenbacker case. It should come like that from the factory.

My coolest case is a G-Love Corvette case I got for my Corvette. It's white on the outside and green on the inside. I don't have to mod it because it's already pimped out.

I believe this picture was taken before the Curt hot rod purple refinish. It looks even better now. The purple and green together reminds me of The Joker.

another case

I have a love hate relationship with my cases. They stay in storage all the time and when in Rome, do as Rome as they say. For what ever reason, Hawaii guitar players shun cases. Could be the space issue which is everywhere here, could be their Troubadour mentality or something. They all use bags, good bags, but bags none the less.

I have two really great momo bags that I use to take them out when I am fortunate enough to be asked. I've been considering purchasing proper cases for all of those that have those ugly Fender molded cases, My PRS already has that Abrams Tank of a case, and my acoustics all have fine branded cases. But my Gretsch and Strats are case poor.....My LP has it's proper case.

I have no small kids, my dog is ancient and doesn't get interested and SHE is careful around them so cases come in kinda short...

I have 8 guitars and 4 basses that I keep in one room when not in use. One night I might want to play my strat or maybe my guild blues 90. To be able to find the guitar I want to use on a given night I have most of the cases marked with the company logo.

I like what you did with your Rickenbacker case. It should come like that from the factory.

My coolest case is a G-Love Corvette case I got for my Corvette. It's white on the outside and green on the inside. I don't have to mod it because it's already pimped out.

– BuddyHollywood

Oooooh...a purple guitar in green plush, eh? That is pimping it out in style, my friend. Great job.

There was no hard case available for my Harmony H22 so I had to improvise and mod a cheap ESP case

From high probability of contracting VD ie: pointy

photo 20160521_150011_zpsbek3dn7l.jpg

to

photo 20160521_170304_zpshggziqvi.jpg

Managed to salvage the muppet pelt lining

photo 20160521_170243_HDR_zpswrei6utk.jpg

Safe traveling for the Missus when she was in a Small faces cover band

I had an old Gretsch amp logo which I glued to my '65 6120's case years ago.

I had an old Gretsch amp logo which I glued to my '65 6120's case years ago.

– duojet55

Now that's clever and cool. A simple idea you had and you gave that case personality and character.

BuddyHollywood, that white/green case is amazing. Never seen something like that.

Register Sign in to join the conversation