Duane Eddy's House of Twang

Duane Eddy Guitar Solos - 1963

Was trawling through my rock 'n' roll memorabilia today and came across this book which was published in the UK in 1963. Great drawings of Duane.

Here's the front and back cover...

Truly magnificent drawings , thanks for sharing !

I have that, too, along with a few others and various gig programs: oh, the nostalgia!

Another cool piece I came across was this Top 50 chart listing from KUDL Radio in Kansas City from November 16th 1959. It's full of autographs but I always wondered about the authenticity of the autographs on this sheet...everyone from Eddie Cochran to Ray Charles to Bo Diddley to Bobby Darin. And down at the bottom left, our man Duane.

Guess I can ask Duane if that looks like his signature from 58 years ago

Another cool piece I came across was this Top 50 chart listing from KUDL Radio in Kansas City from November 16th 1959. It's full of autographs but I always wondered about the authenticity of the autographs on this sheet...everyone from Eddie Cochran to Ray Charles to Bo Diddley to Bobby Darin. And down at the bottom left, our man Duane.

Guess I can ask Duane if that looks like his signature from 58 years ago

– Wheelgrinder

Some great songs, there.

Is Stalkin in that book? I was listening to it earlier, WHAT a cool sound!

Yep, Stalkin' is in there. Great track!

It just shows (again) how, even though we all love an artiste and avidly collect his material, our individual favourites can be widely different. I first acquired "Stalkin'" on the UK "Rebel Rouser" EP in 1963, and I'm afraid I've always found it rather a dirge. I was amazed to find, decades later, that it was officially the A-side. Wasn't it lucky that Dick Clark forgot one of his boxes of records one evening, and started playing B-sides - if the fans hadn't picked up on "Rebel-Rouser," and "Stalkin'" had flopped, would Jamie have given Duane another chance? Would we not have had all those subsequent great singles and albums? Perish the thought! My favourite LP (by anybody) has to be the UK version of "$1,000,000 Worth of Twang - Volume II" which I bought in April 1964 - it was the fourth LP I ever bought, and there have been hundreds since! The big hits - "Pepe" and "Theme from Dixie": the ones that weren't so big but deserved to be - "Ring Of Fire," "Drivin' Home" and "The Avenger": and those marvellous B-sides - "Lost Friend," "Gidget Goes Hawaiian" and "Londonderry Air." And "Bobbie" and "Tammy," which of course weren't issued as singles in the UK - two lovely surprises. Another LP I always enjoy is "Twangin' the Golden Hits" - Link Wray's "The Rumble" is regarded as a classic, but for me Duane's version leaves it standing. Re-reading the booklet for "The Birth of a Guitar Legend" (I needed to check who it was that had forgotten his box of records!) I see that "Stalkin'" was conceived as an answer to "The Rumble." Sorry - don't think it comes off. But, as I've said before, if we all felt exactly the same about every record, we'd have nothing to talk about ...

No connection between Stalkin’ and Rumble.

Register Sign in to join the conversation