Duane Eddy's House of Twang

Duane Eddy Guild Configuration

Am I correct in thinking Duane's Guild guitar is the only one of his signature guitars that, in addition to individual volume and tone controls for each pickup, had a master volume control? I don't recall seeing this configuration on any of his Gretsch guitars.

I realize it means more wiring and an additional knob, but I've always thought this was a really good set up. My first electric was my 59 Gibson ES-355 and I've always like having individual volume and tone controls. Years later, when I added some Gretsch guitars to the family, I really liked the idea of a master volume, so you retain high frequencies when volume is lowered, but it took a while to get used to having only one tone control for both pickups.

I don't believe either Gretsch or Gibson, or many other guitar manufactures for that matter, have offered many or any models with the Guild configuration. To my mind, it's the best of both worlds and I'm surprised there isn't a larger market for it.

Maybe the Gibson Duane Eddy has that configuration. Does it look like the knobs are for that configuration?

Maybe the Gibson Duane Eddy has that configuration. Does it look like the knobs are for that configuration?

– ThePolecats

Good grief, I must have had a serious case of Pandemic inspired, "safer at home," brain fog when I posted this thread because I completely forgot about the Gibson configuration!

Mea Culpa!

I'm still surprised that more guitar manufacturers haven't offered this, "best of both worlds," configuration. I suppose it's just production economics and, at this point, it's probably highly doubtful that anything will change.

I just checked the specs for Duane's Gibson signature guitar and, you're correct, it does appear to be the same set up as the Guild. I still don't know of many other Gibson guitars that had that set up. I wonder if it was because Duane's guitar was designed by Gibson's Custom Shop?

Love Duane, love ALL his sig models but there's something so "extra" about that short-lived Sig. Gibson. It is a stunner (and goes for big money online).

If you can find one, the Guild is still commanding a pretty price, too.

Link

Duane has been a supreme ambassador across the world , for Gretsch , Guild and Gibson guitars . With his unique , instantly recognizable sound ! I seem to remember that one of the three was thought to lack the same reciprocal effort .

I’m not positive but I think the Gretsch Tim Armstrong model had that same configuration

I’m not positive but I think the Gretsch Tim Armstrong model had that same configuration

– Chmason85

I just checked the Gretsch site and you're correct. Very cool.

Link

"If you can find one, the Guild is still commanding a pretty price, too."

Yes, it does because it's essentially a thin line X-500. Listen to Duane's performance videos with the Guild....they grab you differently from the Gretsch or Gibson guitars with its' more "nasal" tone.

"Listen to Duane's performance videos with the Guild....they grab you differently from the Gretsch or Gibson guitars with its' more "nasal" tone."

I've always been partial to the sound of Duane's Guild in live performance videos. Oddly enough, to my ears, the Guild live sounds a lot like the Gretsch does in a studio recording. And, again to my ears, that's a good thing.

Didn't the Duane Gibson have a piezo pickup under the bridge? I got to see Duane live in '84 with the Guild and he sounded like Duane; coulda been playing a Gretsch.

Funny, My wife picked up on the different sound in the "Ghost Riders" vid (Guild) when compared to a different recording. We put it to Deed. She acknowledged the earlier recording was done on his Gretsch, then went on to say that pretty much everything you hear on a recording is "all Gretsch, all the time", and that it sometimes happens that the sound is synched into a video from a studio recording, so while you may see something else, you are almost certainly listening to Duane's "Number One" on the audio track.

Karen and I browsed through a bunch of Youtube vids in vain, looking for another recording that did not have that "great Gretsch sound"... Most all Duane entries were certainly played on "Number 1".

Register Sign in to join the conversation