Duane Eddy's House of Twang

Duane Eddy and Donnie Owens

Robert, by definition a guitar site and in particular a Gretsch guitar site is a clique but if, by using that word you mean a closed minded group not open to others nor new ideas then you're way off the mark.

Stay around, lurk if you will. You'll find this place a mine of information on Gretsch, guitars, music and many other things, talking of which just take a look here:- http://gretschpages.com/for... specifically the thread "Depression".

FWIW, this place is, in my long experience, unique on the 'net.

Richard: Many thanks for clearing up this matter.I appreciate you stepping in and allowing me to re-appraise my thoughts.I just wanted to make clear my own work to promote Duane and the early days of Recording in Arizona was factual. Duane indeed (was critical and kind and this gave a proper 'factual' account of those days,for which I am indebted for his time and kindness. :) ..Bob.

The black 'n' white photo here dates me a tad.It is of me at the rear Stage door of 'The PALACE' Whiskey Row, Prescott,AZ taken by Alvie Self,May 1961.Alvie and 'His Boys' backed me singing , "Kansas City" and "Battle of New Orleans" with my British accent. (Wonder what the local populace must have thought of that.A Battle the Americans won,in a song sung by a former 'Limey'.

you can also get killer recipes for chilli on this site too !!!!!! 8-o

I know, Anne!

Gretsch, guitars, drums, music, philosophy, food, friendship - it's all here.

Oh - and where else would we be treated to The Bear? :)

Enjoying this Site indeed! My best regards to all fellow Twangers:D

Richard: My publisher in England had a trainee from a local college that stretched them just a tad. ;-)

Stick around, Bob! :D

– Richard Baguley

Stick around, Bob! :D

– Richard Baguley

I plan to Richard.Best to you over the 'Pond' in Jolly Olde England!....Bob

Duane played guitar on REV 3516. He kindly related to me that he played guitar on "a record made at Ramsey's with Connie Conway's daughters ." Further that the record label title 'DEAR 53310761 was Elvis' serial number in his Army service...Bob

Bob: Where can we get your book? Amazon lists a number of your titles but not "Rockin' in the Desert."

go to general SEARCH type in Rockin in the Desert Morritt then amazon will show one one of the choices

also type Rockin in the Desert youTube for other link Thanks!!!

Singing on the youTube LINK is my long time friend ALVIE SELF who recorded "Let's Go Wild" (1960) Don/RAY Records pressed at Sydney Wakefield's in Phoenix. I had two boxes (45rpm) of his 'Young Singer" recording pressed up in June 1962 and took them over to EMI and to Germany and the Netherlands in May of 1963. Don "Ray" Bennett recorded both at Ramsey's studio 3703 N.7th.Phoenix.I still have my own acetate which Floyd Ramsey made for me at the same time,on the Audio-Recorders label of Arizona. :)

You know, Rockabilly started before the Phoenix recording scene really kicked into high gear. Memphis, anyone? To give credit where credit is due...thought I'd say it now before everybody here piled on!

Hi Deed!! Yes you are correct. Rockabilly had Country roots it started in the form we now know as Rockabilly around West Memphis. I am thinking of the earliest musicians like The Burnettes (Brothers Johnny and Dorsey) Many 'Teens' used to listen (then) to KWEM West Memphis.Of course Elvis at home would listen to Big Mama Thornton over the Radio and other singers he liked,like Roscoe Gordon. Yes it spread quick as we know with Carl Perkins and the SUN Studio artists.Eventually all over the USA it was big time. Many southern boys headed north to Toronto like Ronnie Hawkins "The Hawks', and a young Conway Twitty (harold Jenkins) wrote early hits in a Motel in Hamilton, Ontario .Canada whilst on tour,songs like 'Lonely Blue Boy' I always preferred Conway's Rockabilly to his later smooth Country style singing, but I am prejudiced as I relly enjoy good old Rockabilly (and 'Twangy' guitars!)..BOB

In his recent Radio Scotland interview on Hank Williams, Duane draws a parallel between Hank's "Move it on Over" and "Rock Around The Clock" and talks about how much Hank's track influenced Bill Haley - could we maybe extend that to say that Hank was one of the "fathers" or Rockabilly??

I would say there are 'parallels' in both 'Rootie-Tootie' by Hank Williams year 1947 and 'Move It On Over' also year 1947 to early Rock 'n' Roll it is a bit of a stretch from both those recordings to that of Rock 'n' Roll with its heavy drivin' beat. I would not call Hank Williams the father of Rock 'n' Roll.If we are going to pick any I would say Donnie and Dorsey Burnette or on the pounding guitar style Chuck Berry would be a heavy contender after Bill Haley.Thats my five cents on it and anyone can be 'right' as everyone has their own opinion to be fair to all!

Going to put my feet up.Its 7:18 pm been up writing since 5 am/Nite all!!.Bob

No stretch at all. Bill Hayley had a steel player in his band! Hank Williams was definitely laying the groundwork for the country guys to proceed forward. It was a natural progression for guys like Elvis, the Burnettes, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, and Jerry Lee to link their country and Gospel influences with the R and B they were listening to and spin it into rockin', stompin' and screamin' Rock and Roll.

This is beautifully put, I hope you read it.

Just trying to be helpful.

As I said , everyone has their own opinion....Bob

Because it is so wonderfully writtten, and so very true, I have to post a bit from A Hank Williams journal.

I got a hot rod Ford
And a two dollar bill
And I know a spot
Right over the hill.
There’s soda pop
And the dancin’s free
If  you want to have fun
Come along with me.

Everything that rock and roll became, aside from the protest phase, is right there. This is youth culture. This is mobility. This is freedom. This is rebellion. This fun for its own sake pure and simple. Its soda pop not beer. The dancin’s free. There’s escape. But at the same time innocence, youthfull exuberance and and joy.

All of these elements were captured and expanded by artists in just a few years down the road. Listen and remember: Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, and Little Richard.

Of course, many other commentators including Colin Escot in his biography and in various liner notes have mentioned the pure rock nature of ‘Hey Good Lookin’. In the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame article on Hank, who was admitted in the 1987, several artists are mentioned as having:

" adapted elements of Williams’ persona, especially the aura of emotional forthrightness and bruised idealism communicated in his songs. Some of Williams’ more upbeat country and blues-flavored numbers, on the other hand, anticipated the playful abandon of rockabilly."

Here is something you might find of interest. Yes, everyone has an opinion

It's important to be open-minded, as well as fully informed. Our opinions change as we learn, I have found.

Yes, keeping open-minded and learning new things every day is what life is all about. Duane repeated some of Hank's wonderful lyrics on Radio Scotland a couple of weeks back and followed up by saying "wants to make you shoot yourself".

Register Sign in to join the conversation